Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oil Dry... then what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guiseart, Feb 28, 2008.

1. guiseart

guiseart

...after soaking up the oil on a concrete floor, is there any home remedy to get rid of the stain?

2. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Had a couple friends that owned a gas station years ago they said gas and tide worked great.. No smoking though..
    Dave

3. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

On a concrete drive if you work the oil dry into the concrete by crushing it (stepping on it) it breaks down finer and seems to work more of the oil out of the pores. Not sure if it works as well an a smooth floor or not. The floor coatings companies I am sure must sell something for cleaning concrete that would have to remove it to get the epoxy to stick.

4. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Gas, laundry soap, brake cleaner.

Bleach or acid will simply burn off the top layer of concrete and you'll have a very white driveway that is still oil stained.

5. LowFat48

LowFat48

gas + powdered laundry soap = napalm , be careful.

6. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

7. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I guess I should have been more clear-- First gas, then brake cleaner then scrub with water and laundry soap-- Not all at the same time!

And no gas if it's inside a garage- that's for driveways. Gas vapors gather near the floor, and that's where your pilot lights are.

Acid will just eat up your concrete.

8. Make sure you don't have an old fridge in the shop while using gas or shit that burns. If you got the floor covered and that bitch kicks on it's GOOD NIGHT IRENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

Try a bottle of coca cola I heard that it works but have not tried it.Like 29 sedanman says works good also.

10. TxRat

TxRat

Yep this works for us. grind it in by sliding your foot back and forth ....

11. SHRUM

SHRUM

Lay oil dry (kitty litter) let sit for a while. Sweep up. Spray Carb cleaner and cover entire stain. Let sit a few minutes. Then poor oil dry on top of the carb cleaner and sweep up. It will be cleaner than the rest of the concrete around it.

12. simple green. full strength. stiff bristled brush..

13. zzford

zzford

Try oil dry then run a concrete block over the oil dry. That's what we used at a gas station I worked at when I was a kid. Worked good.

14. CraigKrage

CraigKrage
    from central IL

CreteClean and a Mop with water.

15. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

Yup - this is how I do it. I've also heard that using ashes from the fireplace works well too -- it's smaller in size than crushed kitty litter. :confused:I've never tried it though, always used the crushed kitty litter approach.

Good luck
    Pete

16. misfit36

misfit36
    from new york

these all seem to be good ideas for concrete and similar surfaces. does anyone know about remving stains from asphalt and blacktop? i kinda * cough cough* dripped some oil on pops' driveway. not a happy camper.

17. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

You just need to learn to reorganize the shop and put a work bench or large tool over the stain, then it will go away!

18. 067chevy

067chevy

I had a major oil spill on my shop floor used the oil dry and then washed it with parsons ammonia. Can't tell I ever spill oil there. floor looked new

19. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

Fireplace ashes work pretty good

20. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i always pour some chemtool on the spot ,then pour the oil dry over that ,then rub it in with a shovel,let it set a few minutes .shovel up the oil dry...leaves a nice clean dry spot....

21. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Laundry soap.

Anything with solvent will also dissolve the asphalt.

22. guiseart

guiseart

Nice suggestions! Thanks, keep goin' if there is more.

23. slo60

slo60

chem clean (powder concrete cleaner) degreaser (red, water based) simple green and a little bit of dishsoap, lots of water, and a scrub brush... pulled up 4 year old oil stains with this combo...

keith

24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

GUNK makes a driveway cleaner just for this type of stain.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Put down the oil dry then "scrub" it with a short (4-5") piece of 2x4 keeping the grit under the board and overlapping the strokes. A couple of passes will make the concrete good as new. If the stain has been down a long time it takes a couple of applications to do the trick.

Frank

26. Slate

Slate

27. rjgideon

rjgideon

Take a hammer to some drywall scraps over your stain. The powder will soak up the oil in the pits. You can just let it sit for a few days and then spray off with water (or rain). I've also used the kitty litter a few times.

28. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I use WD-40 and then wipe it up with a clean rag. Sometimes leaves a 'too clean' spot, though.

29. jetmek

jetmek

ya aint seen a worse mess on the floor till youve youve spent a weekend chasing a couple of sludged up stuck flatheads around getting them apart. old fashioned mineral spirits worked in with a broom followed by oildry does a good job when im done...

30. Fix the oil leak!~!!!!!!