Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boyd passed away this morning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R&C Lee, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4tford

4tford

It is a shame to hear, the man did alot for hot rodding. God's speed Boyd!

2. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

I got really tired of all the knocking and complaining everyone did about how he builds "his" cars. We are all diffferent and we need to respect the man that was a master in our culture. God speed Boyd.

3. Gabacho_LBC

Gabacho_LBC

R.I.P. Boyd. Good one Sam F.. Smoke them if you got umm..

4. Gerg

Gerg

RIP boyd prayers out to the Coddington crew and family.

5. bigolds

bigolds

I met the man once and had the chance to visit and tour his shop...The man was and is an ICON. Although most on this board don't care for his build style, most would agree that he has forever changed the way that we look at the Hot Rod and Custom!!! Rest in Peace and all of my best wishes to his familt and freinds!!!!

6. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

Godspeed Boyd.........

This man's contribution the hot rod industry is unmeasurable. He will be missed.

7. WasteGate

WasteGate
    from Houston

Heard about this last night. Best wishes to everyone affected by this loss.

8. sota

sota

Rip Old Freind

9. I too thought I didn't like his cars but then I never realised until today that he was responsible for Cadzilla and I then remembered that I really liked WhattheHaye (his Delahaye tribute). We all have different tastes but I think that everyone can find something to admire in his body of work.

Perhaps he was a bit of an easy target on The HAMB in recent years but I think that was only because his style was a short hand for lots of things that HAMBers don't like about the billet movement. I was glad to see that when reflecting in a more serious mood almost everyone has acknowledged the huge contribution he made. Many older rodders will remember that in the 80's Boyd was a cult figure, with his name spoken of in awe.

I have heard some adverse comments about him as a man - inappropriate at this time I think. But we are all human with many different sides and aspects. There are many stories of his generosity and kindness here - apparently at odds with the simplistic picture we have of him through the media. There is an old saying - don't speak ill of the dead; worth bearing in mind for those who are tempted to make a flip comment.

We need to be further away from someone's death to really understand their legacy. I hope that we will see a biography of Boyd at some time in the future - one that deals with his massive contribution and tries to look seriously at him as a man and a rodder.

RIP Boyd.

10. Lucky_mtl

Lucky_mtl
    from Montreal

just saw that on CNN. crazy, so unexpected, could be any of us...

11. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

cadzilla is a bitchen kustom! It is the reason I bought my 49 caddy because I wanted to make a kustom out of it. I could not bring myself to rip the car apart though since it was in really nice condition and stock.

I did not know boyd was responsible for that car either.

12. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

For many it takes their passing for their true genius to be realized and appreciated. Boyd's style was not in sync with many in the current "traditional" rodding community, but what is now new will someday be old. Godspeed Boyd, may your work someday become the traditional style that others appreciate for the life's work that you put into it.

13. zue

zue
    from Belton TX

Man I loved watching his show, I have had it set to Tivo for years- Through that show I even got my wife interested in Classic cars and Hot Rods, we would watch each episode together and comment on our likes and dislikes with each build. Boyd seemes like a good dude and he will be missed.

Z

14. sinticket

sinticket

WOW, Ya know, I never really cared for Boyds style of building cars, but at the same time I totally respected him in the aspect that he was an amazing builder and a great invisionary artist. In the past month I have had a great friend and legandary hot rod builder Sean Vesely pass away, and now Boyd Coddington passed away. Fellas, if you are not already doing it, it is time to gather around some of these older hot rodders and listen to their stories, tell them Thanks for what they have done, and learn from what they have learned over their lives so we can carry this hot rod life further into the future. If we dont do it no one will! Man this has really been a bad month for hot rodding! My condolences goes out to Boyd's family and those close to him! Godspeed Boyd!!!!

15. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

My prayers go out toyou Boyd! and to Joe, and Your Boys .Randy

16. jangleguy

jangleguy

Can't say that I really knew Boyd. We always had breakfast together, when I was on the "circuit" with Drakes. I always admired his vision and organization, no matter what I thought of his build style (I actually really liked some of his stuff). But those breakfasts with Drake and Posie, etc were always "amusing", with opinions flying...
    This feels just like the first time I stumbled across his TV show - shocking, but not surprising, ya know?
    My best to the family and crew...
    Scotty

17. RIP.

My condolences to his family and friends.

The man lived the dream most car guys would give a body part to live.

18. meteor

meteor

Wow, very sad. Rest in Peace Boyd. Thoughts and prayers go to his wife, sons, family and friends.

19. sentinelT

sentinelT

Love or hate his style, he was still huge for the hot rod scene. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

RIP.

20. coop31

coop31

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and the shop guys.
    R.I.P. Boyd

21. mojo273

mojo273
    Member Emeritus

R.I.P Prayers to the family

22. Well said.

Link to CNN story -

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/28/obit.coddington.ap/index.html

23. hutty32

hutty32
    from Charlotte

My prayers are with the family. What a credit his life has been to this sport for his innovations and creative mind. We all will miss him.:(

24. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

rip

I bet his coffin will be bitchen

25. J-R0d

J-R0d
    from Texas

RIP Mr. Coddington. The scope of your influence on the world of custom cars can scarcely be appreciated. It suffices to say that the world of cusotm cars is a different place because of your input.

26. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

How many people in this hobby are known just by their first name. You can just say Boyd to people and they know who he is. He had a major impact on this hobby. Prayers to his family.

27. Roadsters49

Roadsters49
    from Norway

28. 50merc808

50merc808

29. kookee

kookee

Truely sad. My sincere thoughts go out to his family.

What a tragic shock.

30. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

R.I.P. His cars were beautiful and he leaves a legacy behind. Not everyone can say that.

Prayers to his family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.