Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chasis & Engine numbers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jasper6120, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Hey, gotta get my 53 chevy registered & on the road. Its got a 56 blue flame in it but I can't find where the engine number is, also, apparently back then the chevs didn't have chasis numbers stamped on em either. Thus I can't find that either. Help!

2. phat rat

phat rat

I think in 53 they were still on a tag riveted to the A pillar

3. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Yeah, they were. Emphasis on 'Were', the damn things been taken. I'm gunna have to find one from somewhere else.
    If anyone has a spare chassis/vin tag for a 53/54 Chevrolet let me know!!

4. striper

striper

I have a '52. I researched when I went to register it 10 - 12 years ago in Melb. I found that Chevs didn't have chassis Nos stamped until '55. The guy at VicRoads insisted that there had to be one there so he came out for a look. After a huge search he found a part number stamped on the inside of the back door. He rubbed it with some steel wool and said' "See, there it is". O.K so that's now my chassis number. Must get around to stamping it on my chassis one day just in case I need it.

Do yourself a favour. Pick a number with plenty of digits in it, Something like a new car cause they like that, and stamp it on the chassis. Then go and register your car. Those bozos have no clue. If there is a number there and they can put a tick in a box, it's all good

Pete

5. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Pete, that sounds like the best idea in the world. Thanks champ!

6. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

better yet,ask someone at Vic roads if they still have the car number books. Years ago I saw one of these volumes which all motor registries had. It listed ALL cars sold in Australia with 'beginning 'and 'end' numbers of each model sold in Australia.. They were full of cars long forgotten now.
    If you can find the series number prefix from one of these books ( local vintage car guys sometimes have them ) just add a number which sounds good on the end then it will appear genuine.

7. striper

striper

You're right, but how genuine do you think my rear right door part number looks as a chassis number? They don't have a clue.

Pete

8. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

I'm in NSW though, recon that changes anything?

9. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

I saw some of those books at the old NSW registry (Revesby?) about 25 years ago,so they may have had them then. I know that Eddie Ford ,the publisher,had them too.
    Do you know anyone whose wrecked a pre 55 chev/ you may find a plate on one of those. Don't the OZ delivered cars have a "made by Holden plate on them" ?

10. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

There's a holden stamped plate above the firewall on the drivers (right) side of the car if thats what you're talking about. No specifics, just body and colour codes etc.