Register now to get rid of these ads!

school me on sbc s please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasolinedeniz, Feb 25, 2008.

1. okay here we go,i get two running gears for free ,both are out 78 pontiacs and the owner told me they have 4.9 litre v8s in it . So i wonder what kind of trannsmisons are behind , i guess th 350 right , both a 3 speed auto ?the second thing i wonder is about the engines itselfs they look like reuglar sbc`s to me . Did Pontiac used them, made pontiac in 78 there own engines?
    Thanks for your answers : Deniz

2. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

4.9 will be a 301 pontiac engine...great on the end of a chain attatched to a boat. the trans will be a BOP pattern th350 so no good for a sbc.

3. patman

patman

The late 70s were weird days for pontiac engines. It could have been a buick, a pontiac, an olds, or a chevy.:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=68211

"1977 Firebird, and the engine choices became increasingly complex. The Chevy inline six was dumped in favor of Buick's 105-horsepower 231-cubic inch (3.8-liter) V6 as the base powerplant; a new 135 horsepower 301-cubic inch (4.9-liter) version of the Pontiac V8 was available in Esprits and Formulas (along with the Pontiac 350); and the Trans Am's redesigned shaker hood covered either a 185-horsepower Oldsmobile-built 403-cubic-inch (6.6-liter) V8 or the Pontiac 400 (T/A 6.6) now making 200 horsepower. Meanwhile, some Firebirds (mostly in California) came with the Chevy 305- and 350-cubic-inch (5.0- and 5.7-liter) V8s aboard."

Since you said it was a V8, that rules out the buick. It could be a chevy, olds, or pontiac though.

If you think it's a chevy, your best bet would be to pull the 3 letter application code suffix stamped into the block's deck surface that sticks out in front of the right hand cylinder head. Once you have that, you can look up for sure what it is:

http://www.nastyz28.com/chevy-engine-code-stampings.php

4. thanks dudes os iguess i have to geht the casting numbers and look what it is .-( it has a gm hei dist and the waterpump looks also like the one from a 350sbc to me.i will send pics in a few days

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

quick check, how many valve cover bolts, and is the dizzy in the front or back?

6. Bphotrod

Bphotrod
    from da U.P.

I've seen some of those with the GM universal transmission which fits Chevy and BOP, worth looking at.

7. I've seen a few of the universal cases, the were all early 80's 200s or 200R4s....

Dizzy location isn't all it's cracked up to be, Ponchos had them in the back, about the same location as chevys.
    Quick and diry method, look at the heads, if the plugs poke out in between the exhause ports, it's chevy.
    If they poke out angled way up, and the exhaust come out almost straight down, it's a poncho..

8. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

the poncho valve covers are 4 bolt as well guys but they are more rounded on the end than the SBC ones. if they are 4.9L, they are a 301. the universal cases really only came in the f-body cars.

9. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

10. Pontiac V8`s had a pan under the intake.

11. ocfab

ocfab

i pulled one out of the boneyard and it turned out to be a 307 sbc

12. David Chandler

David Chandler

They made a lot of strange combinations back then. I worked with a guy who bought a new Buick and was appalled by the fact it had a Chevy engine in it. Another guy with a big Chevy wagon was very upset that it had a Pontiac 4.9 rather than the 305 Chevy he had been lead to believe was in it. My wife's S10 has a Pontiac under the hood. So get some numbers off of it and have them checked.

13. gm got sued for the sbc in the full sized olds. thats when the standard black motors came around. most folks could not tell the difference.

14. okay i am not came into my garage since yesterday but dhe distrubitor is in back of the engine and it is a huge cap on it , looks like a hei dist. to me so i guess its a chevy right??

15. looks realy similar to this engine ,timing chain cover,oilfilter location is the same

Attached Files:

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Post a photo and we can tell. Almost all V8 engines after 1975 Came with a "huge assed HEI" If it is an Olds engine it will probably have the oil filler tube sticking up at the front of the engine. Pontiac has the water pump bolted to the aluminum timing cover and Chev has the water pump that bolts on with 4 bolts and will have a gap between the back of it and the timing cover. The Olds engine also has the water pump bolted to a steel plate that fastens to the front of the block. That plate acts as the timing cover.

17. okay i will post some pics in the nex few days ,but now i am pretty shure it is a sbc ,because the waterpump mounts direct to the blog wit 4 sxrews and behind the pump is the timing cover.

18. tomslik

tomslik

i've had a few bi-sexual 350 turbos (fit both chevy and BOP)....

19. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Man, I hate to say this, but if you can't immediately recognise a small block Chevy from any other engine...you need some serious help. Post a picture and it can be resolved in a flash.
    Sorry, but its very early in the am here in Texas and I just could not help it.

M.

20. hmm i allways worked on mopar and a few times at a old ford but never on a chevy:-( s i could tell you right from the start it is no 426 hemi or so:)
    well here are the pics and also a little tech how to put more hp in the back of a friends ultra small honda or so :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and a pic wheres the engine should ending up
    [​IMG]

21. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

ya,Chev all right,mid 70's? .looks clean though and may be a good engine.
    is that a Citroen? and how do you register a rod in Switzerland? I understand that even welding repairs are strictly monitored there.

22. Yes it a engine from 78 and as i thought a chevy , thats great so i van start to get cheap parts, compared to my other mopar projects.
    Yes it is a citroen and probably it will never see a street legaly but you know in german we say if there is enough will ,there weill be a way _)
    Thanks for the help, by the way it seems to be a 301 engine do you know aabout how many horsres it has ?