Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT My Cutlass was just stolen SF Bay/Sacramento

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Turbo442, Sep 6, 2007.

1. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Damn,

I don't know what's worse?

Your ride got ripped or you spent three hours in Target. :eek:

I'll keep an eye out for it. :cool:

2. 25 years ago I managed to recover my 65 442 Convertible after it was stolen in San Francisco. It took work on my part, a helpful Detective in the auto detail and some luck.

3. Turbo442

Turbo442

Yes, I have been working this since I found it missing.
    Here is something I typed up so if anyone sees parts for sale hopefully it will lead to them.

Monte Carlo SS trunk spoiler

Hurst Olds front spoiler

American Racing Salt Flat wheels. These have had the spokes and the windows or holes, polished. They come gray. Rear wheels are 17x10 and have 315/35/17 Nitto drag radials on them. Fronts are 17x 7

Burgundy leather bucket seats

Husrt Olds Lightning Rod shifters.

Also, it had a McIntosh CD player, Diamond Audio speakers, Focal tweeters, and Nakamichi amplifiers. I mention it because some of this isn't your run of the mill Kenwood crap and you find find it at the pawnshops and on Craigslist often (I have been looking there too).

4. dope54

dope54

keep ur head up turbo brother! i'll keep my eyes open here in socal for it~!

5. SO-AZ

SO-AZ
    from Tucson

Sorry to hear that. I always loved those 442's and with that motor it's a perfect combo...Hope ya' get it back but it's probably got dingle berries hangin' from the headliner already...Hopefully the motor falls on the asshole when he tries to take it out...

6. Turbo442

Turbo442

Got a call from one of the guys that works at one of the bodyshops off the street it was possibly spotted on yesterday. we were already out driving so we headed down to liquor store where he seen it but when we got there it just headed down Monte Vista (for the locals). He said the plates were different and I finally was able to give him a flyer we made. He wasn't positive that the paint scheme was the same. The angle he was at it looked like the silver came up higher to him. Until now I have never heard of another G-body in town with this same paint color and scheme. There is a football game at the High School tonight so there are cops all over.
    Here's to Lady luck!

7. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Good luck finding that cutlass man, i have an '80 with the 260 V8 i just kind of dressed it up to make it look pretty, just has a set of mondello valve covers, and a chrome air cleaner. things i can easily undo. It's got 65,000 miles, a little old lady owned it (no kidding) and my dad's been working on it since 83, and last christmas she gave it to him, to give to me for christmas. That car is my baby, if anything happened to her, i'd go crazy. Good luck again, sharp lookin' car.

8. Boynamedsue

Boynamedsue

your best lead on it if the guys tear it down is the lightning rods. when they come up for sale somewhere theres always something fishy. hopefully this isnt the case good luck bro.

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

It'll hopefully show up soon. If they traded a truck for yours, at some point it'll be traded too. Could already be abandoned somewhere and just hasn't sat long enough to trigger an impound call. Fingers crossed for ya

10. Stoner

Stoner

FUCKERS.
    I love those G-Bodies, too. I'll keep my eyes peeled in SF. If it made it down here for some reason, it's over on 3rd St. somewhere where it'll "blend in" a little more. And I seem to find myself down there more than I'll ever let my wife know...

STONER

11. Ford Fairlane

Ford Fairlane

Man that sucks, I'll keep my eyes open in the San Pablo/Richmond area. Richmond being a big dumping ground for stolen cars. My brother had a car stolen in Concord and they ended up finding it in Richmond. That's not the first time I've heard that either.
    Good luck!

12. Turbo442

Turbo442

I wanted to listen to some Black Flag and get some agression out but just realized those discs were in the car:mad:

13. scrape

scrape

those cds went out the window 5min after it was stolen...
    ...it sucks to lose old punk rock....

14. Good luck mate.I,ve had enough stuff stolen and it can really change the day.How do I say this without sounding too pessamistic;I,ve never got anything returned.Some of the stuff was nicked by hotrodders.It sure woke me from a "all hotrodders are kool" naivety!!I'd love to hear a happy ending.

15. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

What about Border Crossings have they been alerted? Maybe other road cameras might catch something, Plus all the Calif. guys on alert! the Hamb network is looking

16. Turbo442

Turbo442

Didn't think about border but we are pretty damn far from there.
    I have gotten hold of as many CHP and Auto Theft Task forces as I can with details on the car, parts and what I know about it's theft.

As many different Nor Cal forums (LS1, Turbobuick, NorCal GN, SVO, etc) plus friends and family and all the searching we have been doing around town and up and down I80 and on the internet, nothing has popped up yet.
    I am trying to get it in my head that it is probably in quite a few pieces by now and I need to start thinking about the next project.
    The car meant alot to me (my Girl says it was part of the family) and I would hope to get at least the shell back. I can rebuild it and I will.

17. Turbo442

Turbo442

Today I cried.
    It will be a week tomorrow and I realize that I probably will not see it again. The car had soul, my soul.
    I know there will be another. I actually put a small deposit down on a real Hurst so that makes me feel a little better.
    Now, on with the insurance company.

18. I feel for ya.I had an old van nicked that was so rough round the edges,I would smile and think no one wants this crock.It had the hidden remote start that someone must have spent a lot of time sussing.I still don,t get it,I was parked in a station where there was about 12000 proper cars.Thing was it was a smashed van I brought back from the dead.I still miss it I don't like new stuff!f"$%&*@~ c"*+@

19. Turbo442

Turbo442

I got a call from the insurance today and lets just say the first amount offered would probably cover the wheels and that's it:mad:
    They are of course forwarding it to an appraiser becauce they "knew it wouldn't be enough"
    I told my rep to find me another in the same condition for what they were offering and I would let them buy it for me, stock or modified.

My appariser said to say as little as possible as far as values go to their appraiser. He has been doing this for some time and only works for private individuals. He comes highly recommended and gets his value every time.

Wish me luck and offer any advice you may have. (And yes, I know I should have had an appraisal done before).

BTW, I did ask if there were any clauses in my contract regarding a max. value and she told me "no". She then proceeded to ask if I ever race it and if I have turbocharged engines in my other cars and if I am fixing them up to this level.
    Here comes the trouble, time for new ins. I think

20. Turbo442

Turbo442

TTT please keep your eyes open still.
    On a related note....
    A co-worker was telling me her daughter is an apt mngr. Anyway one night her daughter hears a car alarm going off and someone yelling so she looks out her window. Well some guy was trying to steal her maintance guys Mustang. The maintance guy heard his alarm and was telling the guy to get out of his car. The thief still tried to start the car at which point maintenance guy shoots at him. The guy took off running but not before he gets another shot off and shoots the thief in the foot. Dumb ass thief goes to the hospital and they are required to call the Police. He admitted trying to steal the car and the crazy guy shot him. Well the Police went to check it out and brought the thief. The maintenance guy finally said he did it after the Police re-assured him they weren't going to arrest him and he said " I'd do it again, too".
    Thief off to jail with a nice piece of lead for his troubles.
    Bad Guy = 0
    Good Guy = +1
    btw this was in Sacramento

21. That's funny ass hell ! But the truth most of the time. "Helter Skelter"

22. Turbo442

Turbo442

Just wanted to update my cell # 707-416-9085
    Also Update: Nothing found as of yet. Also my Insurance has made an offer of $12k against an appraisal of $21k. I think I may ask for more maybe go thru the whole arbitration process. What do you guys think? What would you do? The appraisal was done after the fact btw.

23. I'd go for the arbitration. I hate INS. companies, It would be nice if one of us REAL CAR guys could get what we deserve outta their asses. I got Screwed on my 2005 f150 super-crew lariat. i ha $14k in Equity in it, and I barely got $1500 over what I owed on it. I for RAPED. Being that a drunk on probation for DWI hit me head on with minimal INS. My INS. had to pay off what his would not, and I still am not in another truck of equal value at this time. So I say Stick it to their asses and make em pay up.

24. pipty6

pipty6
    from Tracy

It's possible that it's already DONKED out doing sideshows from the V-Town to the O-Town, Richmond or parted out in Modesto/Stockton area.

25. Turbo442

Turbo442

I realize that and am coming to terms with something my Dad actually told me "If they find it, you probably won't want it back".
    I have found two other cars and plan to make good use of the insurance money. I spoke with my appraiser today and he says if I want to go forward he is willing and usually gets his money. He is thinking $18k. We will see.

26. Turbo442

Turbo442

Well in about 45 minutes it will be my Birthday and my insurancce has finally settled. I got the call yesterday that I would have a check this week.

I want to say thanks to all those who kept their eyes open and sent pm's and called. It has been greatly appreciated and I hope to meet those of you that I haven't yet.

So to sum this whole thing up; the car was stolen in Sept and it's almost 6 months later now and it has never been recovered.
    The insurance wanted to offer $2k first.

I found out that in CA the insured has the right to have their own appraisal done, even after the fact. So I did. In retro I should have had one done before.

The insurance co. had their own apprsl done and made an offer for $12k. This took about 2 1/2 months to get to this point.

I disagree as I had a larger apprsl so we enter into arbitration. Both appraisers have to submit their reports to a third appraiser who then submits his report to the others. He only needs a signature from one other appraiser and then forwards it to the insurance adjuster. They call this an award letter. His finding is pretty much binding when you enter into the arbitration process.

This last part took forever as the insurance company want's you to get tired of waiting and take the first offer. Between the insurance co. and their appraiser (bunch of thieving liars!) they added months onto this whole process.

Another important point;
    If you feel you are being screwed around by your Insurance co call your state Insurance Commissioner!
    I did and I think it may have helped speed this up, I know it got their attention as the Insurance Commissioner is responsible for licensing and follow up on legal process.

Final value; $18k Appraiser costs $700.

Lessons learned;
    Have an appraisal done when you get your car insured.
    Have your special car insured with one of the collector car insurance and get Agreed Value!

Insurance company's have a nice customer service face but a real nasty mean side when it comes to claims.

Thanks again HAMB

27. Nailhead

Nailhead

I guess it's gotta be bittersweet for you. On one hand it's nice the ordeal is over with and you can go get a new ride. But I imagine you'd be happier with your car back in your garage. Hope it all turns out for the best and you can find a car you love.

Todd

28. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

HAPPY bIRTHDay!:D:D:D:D:D

YES. SO TRUE ABOUT INSURANCE COMPANIES!!.
    In 2000 I was burgled and lost $75,000 worth of property. because of Corrupt police I wasn't able to claim on my insurance. I too found out all about insurance companies. I had to force my insurers in court to hand over memos etc to find out why they refused to pay ( corrupt police told them lies to cover the ass of the thief) . was even charged $990 to get them to photocopy documents.:mad:
    I even found the company which claims to Australian was in fact an Indonesian Muslem outfit which doesn't have any one of responsibility in this country,just office workers,so I couldn't sue them .
    Never trust insurers for as far as you can throw them.

29. Turbo442

Turbo442

Bittersweet 'tis true but I am moving on. The next ride isn't HAMB related but in the meantime I will be getting my Fairlane ready for the summer.:D

I hope people read the last post I put on here and it helps to stir them up as far as insuring and protecting their rides.

30. Posi12Bolt

Posi12Bolt

dude.... that sucks! rotten bastards!

your car was so nice too... I remember it when I bought those cutlass wheels off you!