Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to remove anodizing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willysguy, Feb 26, 2008.

1. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I'd like to remove the red & blue anodizing on my an fittings to leave them in natural aluminum. What works best? Thanks

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Oven cleaner will remove it. Try it on a test piece first, it might also bite the aluminum pretty hard.

3. alchemy

alchemy

I've heard (but never tried) using Easy-Off oven cleaner on them.

4. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I've tried easy off and it didn't do much. Maybe they have an extra strength version or something. Anyway I'll hit the grocery store and try again.

5. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I have used really fine glass bead to remove the anodizing on fittings. I have access to a cabinet at work that we can adjsut the pressure on so that it is only getting the coating and not the substrate.

Its not something I would turn the local sand blaster loose on.

6. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Use easy off,, dont get the oderless stuff, it doesnt work.

Put the fittings in a ziploc bag, spray the the easyoff into the bag and set it in the sunlight. Shake often.

DO NOT BREATHE THE FUMES!!!!!

It will probably turn the aluminum white,, hit it with scotchbrite pad to clean it up.

7. overkillphil

overkillphil

Have you tried good old fashion brake cleaner?

8. baader

baader

You can use draino but you´ll have to watch out for pitting.

One thing to try is throwing them into an oven, put it over an aluminium foil in highest temp the oven gets.
    Leave it there for few hrs. It´ll burn the colour off the anodization, not remove it. It won´t oxidize compared to removing the whole anno.
    Your wife isn´t gonna like the smell and the result is unpredictable, but if it looks bad you can go ahead on the other methods.

9. crowerglide

crowerglide
    from Tyler, TX

Unless you're just dying to do it yourself, take them to the anodizer's and have them strip 'em. It's quick and cheap.

10. Outlaw Bender

Outlaw Bender

So was even my suggestion.

11. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Can you score some non-acetone nail polish remover from your wife or girlfriend? Sometimes it works with really good results,but still might need a "stop bath."
    (How long does meat tenderizer work?)

12. Get some aluma-bright wheel cleaner. The trailer places use this to flash trailers with to make old alum look new. Truckers use it on fuel tanks etc. It won't pit the alum.

13. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I've always used Easy-Off oven cleaner on my AN fittings for my race cars. The shit will BURN the HELL out of your nose and throat, eyes water, USE IN VENTELATED AREA. It always worked for me, it turns the aluminum black if it sits too long, then you have to clean the aluminum up with a scotch brite pad or steel wool.

14. Kurt

Kurt

The last couple i did i just hit with a fine wire wheel on my bench grinder.

15. eastwood sells a product for removing it as well- got the catalogue last night.

16. 5wndwcpe

5wndwcpe