Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. When it come to allignment of doors. I only want to do the job once. But there are times when you have to put the doors on and then take them off several times in a build. So I made up these jigs. It is 1" steel cut into squares with a hole drilled in the center. Then I welded a piece of 3/16 round bar into the hole.

[​IMG]

Then I alligned the doors to where I was happy with the fit. I then drill two 3/16" hole threw the hinge and into the pillar of the car.

[​IMG]

Then when you put the door on again, you just push the pins threw the holes in the hinge and in to the holes in the pillar. Then tighten up the hinge bolts, and pull the pins out and close the door. It will be alligned exactly where you had it the first time Everytime.

[​IMG]

2. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

How Can I Get My Hands On The Disc Sander Plans? Great Post Guys Keep'em Comin.

3. BarryA

BarryA

Here's my "portable" E-wheel that I take to shows for metalshaping demos. Made it look fancier than it needs to be, but it works great. I don't like those wimpy frames much.....
    [​IMG]

Adjuster is Kerry Pinkerton type - search on Metalmeet.com. Quick release is just an offset shaft in bronze bushings.
    [​IMG]

Now I just need to build something I can post on here with it...no wait I've got a bunch more tools to build still:D:eek:......
    Barry

Attached Files:

4. Dyce

Dyce

Nice wheel Barry!! I like your lift. I had to have one of those disc sanders. I had a brake shoe grinder laying around so I stripped it down and mounted it on a stand. It had a 3200RPM motor on it. I'm using 3M 40 grit stickit sandpaper on it. It rocks!! Thanks for posting all the disc sanders. It was a kick in the ass I needed to git it done:D
    [​IMG]
    This picture sucks but it shows the stand, kinda. I used an old cream seperator stand...
    [​IMG]
    Jeff

5. TxRat

TxRat

I'm putting together a tech on how to build a disc sander now. I'm using a copy of the original American Rodder article and some things of my own. As soon as its done I'll post it in a separate thread. Hopefully it will be during a tech week so it doesn't fall back a few pages. So far Ive got under $200 in it so it should be fairly affordable...

6. Dyce51

Dyce51
    from Ohio

This one may not as nice looking as the others posted but it works really well and it's cheap as hell!!!

I found a website a while back that has some really cool how to's on it here is a link to a homemade tubing bender that is built from scrap and no expensive tool steel needed....(like for the die)

[​IMG]

Here is the link to the site:
    http://www.thefont.info/tube_bender.htm

7. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Ohh,the power of doughnuts for construction workers! Around 9:30 Am some of those boys would sell their mother? haa haa
    I've found they'll let you remove darned near anything for good doughnuts,provided you aren't observed,fall down and go boom or they don't have dibs on something already.
    Stealth and speed are the key.
    Of course I try to ask someone so it isn't theft or one of the workers has dibs?

8. This is why I love living in greater Detroit.... Anything you could ever want can be found here

9. Hell That's got to be a better use for a lawn mower then mowin' the damn lawn. Good job recycling.

10. river1

river1

check 1bad67's post on page 6 of this thread he has a link to the plans there

later jim

11. vendetta

vendetta

my bead roller i just finished.hadn't done wheels when took photo.think i like the look of the wheel(on the black bead roller) instead of a crank handle tho'

Attached Files:

Model B likes this.
  12. TxRat

TxRat

[​IMG]

heres my disc sander...

13. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

TxRat, where did you get disc for your sander? had no luck finding one yet

14. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Rashy, that is some funny shit man, I had to go back and look and it took me awhile to find it too!

sfm1951 likes this.
  15. TxRat

TxRat

Look on Flea Bay under shopsmith. I bought the older design as is was reinforced aluminum vs the newer steel one. mine is 12" with a 5/8th bore....

16. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

Witch is better,, The Hard metal or Soft aluminum?

17. atch

atch

i've got one of each. there probably isn't any difference, but i find that i push harder on the workpiece when using the steel one than the aluminum one. i'm sure it's just a mental block, but i have more trust in the steel

18. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

Aluminum is a metal. Steel is'nt the only metal.

19. 4-pot

4-pot

This is my fourth attempt this afternoon to post some pictures of my homemade tools. Most of my homemade tools are made out of scrap and salvage so I don't have much invested other than labor. The latest project is a louver press I finished last week, it works pretty good . [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] If this post turns out ok I'll post some more tools.

Rich S., oliver westlund and rytang like this.
  20. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

cool louver press,

any close up pics of the die ?
    what did you use for the ram ?

thanks
    Beaulieu

21. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Those self adhesive sanding disks are avalible at Production Tool, Mahar Tool and E & R Industrial Sales that I know of. Place where I work buys them by the dozens from those guys

Finding the platen for the sander was the hard part. That's why GMGrunt. IHRS and I made our own. Welded and turned on a lathe. Beck had one "in stock"

22. 4-pot

4-pot

The ram is a 20 ton porto-power ram that was thrown in with an old kent-moore 20 ton manual press I bought for $100. The picture of the dies isn't to good, I made them out of S-7 toolsteel. [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. 4-pot

4-pot

well so far so good I'll try a few more. These bead blast cabinets are made out of old refrigerators. [​IMG] The four foot break I built about 25 years ago. [​IMG] This cut off saw uses 4" wheels the motor is a high speed motor out of a black and decker electric lawn mower. [​IMG]

24. 4-pot

4-pot

Three more. bead roller powered with variable speed D-C motor. [​IMG] This is a 2x72 square wheel belt grinder. [​IMG] And a 1x42 belt grinder. [​IMG] Both of the belt sanders are powered with DC motors and variable speed drives. I got a pickup truck full of DC motors and controls a few years ago at a local auction, all new in the boxes

rytang likes this.
  25. Louie S.

Louie S.

Wow, nice lookin tools. I like the refer blast cabinets, cool idea.

26. HUH?

HUH?

Here is the opposite end of the scale from 4-pot's beautiful work. A counterman at the welding supply asked what brand cut off saw I needed new wheels for. When I described my homemade 1/2 hp chop saw he remarked, "Oh, it's a Man Eater brand!" The name stuck.

Attached Files:

13lav likes this.
  27. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

"The ram is a 20 ton porto-power ram that was thrown in with an old kent-moore 20 ton manual press I bought for $100. The picture of the dies isn't to good, I made them out of S-7 toolsteel."

how do you activate the ram ?
    Is there a hydrolic pump thats not shown ?

28. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

Thanks for the info, I did find a disc on ebay under shop smith stuff thanks to TxRat.:D

29. I made this because I got tired of borrowing some dudes roller and owing them a lifetime of favors. Crude but effective and it throats a big ass peice!!!!

Attached Files:

wrench3047 likes this.
  30. 4-pot

4-pot

beaulieu--the power unit is on the floor to the left of the press in the first picture. The foot pedal is hanging on the hook on the back of the press.