Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39studebaker, Jan 18, 2008.

1. 39studebaker

39studebaker

are there any good how to books on how to rebuild these things, if so what are they and were can I find them?

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Start off here: http://www.studebakerparts.com/
    Go to book section, get a shop manual and chassis parts book as a minimum. Root around some--there is a fairly big Studebaker community and plenty of parts sources out there.

3. 39studebaker

39studebaker

Thanks i hate to be a pest but as what it says below needs all the help i can get

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The actual work and machining will be pretty normal, actually, but any mechanic or machinest under 50 will be a bit taken aback by finding the valves down there in the block.
    If you've never rebuilt an engine before, I have an odd suggestion; Also buy Vizard's book "How to rebuild your smallblock Chevy". Engine geometry and numbers will of course all be different than an ancient Stude, but it is an intelligent and thorough intro to engine rebuilding that covers everything you need to know, all readily translatable to Studebaker. View it as the textbook that will enable you to fully understand what the Stude manual tells you and also enable you to make requests and understand things when you make the inevitable trip to the machinest.

5. 39studebaker

39studebaker

6. f6fhellcat00

f6fhellcat00

I built one for my model a ford. 1955 185 ci 3/4 race cam.