Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ribbed exhaust pipe- how would you duplicate this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Acutally, I just asked Evel on the pipes the one that blue coupe,
    Evel said "Yes there the Pep boys pipe and that piece was cut out and welded to
    1 3/4 pipe.."

2. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

[​IMG]

Yup Bobbleed made these for me .,,, I sent him the Pepboys "Flex" pipe
    and he cut the piece out and welded them to a piece of 1 3/4 straight pipe
    then added the scavenger tip to the end...he dose have a shit load of hours on them tho..

3. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Mine on my triumph looks exactly like Evel's

I welded mine onto a set of stock triumph front exhaust pipes..

[​IMG]

4. rodknocker

rodknocker

5. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

the issue is superiior only sells in BIG quantity...

6. BADAZZ57CHVY

BADAZZ57CHVY
    from Dallas

I got two 8 foot sections of it layin outside under my 57 didnt know it was hard to get... maybe i should pick it up.

7. elcornus

elcornus

Would this be the shape you and Kirk are looking for Alex?
    [​IMG]

How long of a ribbed section would you need?

I have an idea on how to produce this, but the longer the ribbed section is, the harder it will be to form. 24" length might be pushing it,
    but they could always be tigged together with some straight pipe in between the ribbed sections:confused:

8. Elcornus, I think that if you could make 12" sections of convolutions, with straight ends, you could weld them to regular pipe. I would buy 6 12" sections if the ends were 2" or 2-1/4"

Just a thought, if you made them in stainless, they wouldn't need to be chromed.

9. ray

ray
    from colorado

sure there were pipes available from jc whitney, etc. that were convoluted differently than the regular flex pipe, but just like today, there were thousands of rodders who built their own stuff, not just ordering it from a catalog. so the parts store convoluted pipe is just as traditional as the fenton/jc whitney stuff.

i have a couple of old ribbed exhaust tips i wish i could find mates for, i have one round and one oval, each has about 3" of ribbed pipe. the ribs on these are maybe 3/16-1/4" wide, with the same size spacing between, and about the same depth, so a bit finer "pitch" if you will, than the supieror pipe.

10. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

11. I can get sticks of the Superior #29-4430 2-1/4”O.D. x 43” for $24.00 ea. plus shipping to you place, I'll need to set up an order, so I will have to wait until I get it to ship it out to you.

Pep Boys has discountinued the part number, so all you will find is leftover stock, like somebody said. They won't be able to order anymore.

Let me know if you are interested via PM and we'll see if there is enough interest to get a minimum order.

Mike

12. Pgh_Stan

Pgh_Stan

I didnt read every thread BUT the way these are usually made is on a hydroformer. I used to work for a place that had a machine and used to make parts for the big 3. You put a piece of tubing in something that looks like a mandrel bender and it has dies with the negative ribs in it. You hook up water inlet and outlet and pump an insane amount of water pressure and it expands at the ribs. I hope no one has already explained this.

13. DanCollins

DanCollins

I think thats how the frames on the Harley V-Rods are formed too, but I doubt thats how they did it in the 60's.

14. thads31

thads31

I built some equipment for a company called Dormont a couple years ago. They make the convoluted flex tubing to deliver gas to appliances (like the gas line for your dryer). They also make tubing in large diameter sizes for commercial use. The stuff is stainless. It's flex tubing but you could slip it over a straight tube , weld and blend the ends. The plus side of doing this would be the better flow since the final product would be smooth on the ID. They coil the stuff up when they package it, but it all comes in straight sections out of their mfg process. Might be worth calling them

15. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

tuck this is for you
    [​IMG]

16. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I got some not to long ago myself and just cant decide if i want Lakes or Bellflower look on my wagon...But this post couldnt have happened at a better time esp with Alex doing Kirk's ride :)

17. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

I'm thinking of rollin the pipes for a bit. I painted them white to just be a little more different. I bought a two 6' leanghts for $9.00 ea @ pep-boys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

hell ask evel or plowboy... they both used it :D

19. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Alex dont you EVER sleep bro?

so c'mon dude, cats out of the bag now, when do we see what thems goin on?

20. ray

ray
    from colorado

i hereby declare 2008 the year of the ripple pipe!

:D

seems they're popping up on quite a few cars this year. i'm finally getting around to using the pipes i have here, no pics yet...;)

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

Rippled pipes are the new flat black.

Roothawg likes this.
  22. 2009, the year of the french tickler pipes...

23. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

ribbed for her pleasure? i think not... turn em inside out and rock your own socks off :cool:

24. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

holy shit gambino-

25. titus

titus

i just got my order of 6 4 foot sticks of 1-3/4 "ripple" pipe from superior, i figured if i can get it throu work what the hell, ill get it while i still can.

Gambino, how did you do it, i kinda have an idea in my head, a exhaust tubing cutter but with a different bit than the cutter, like a rounded die, so you can roll a "bead" into the pipe, like youd roll beads into floor pans.

jeff

26. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!!!!! grate minds think alike!!!

27. krooser

krooser

28. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

29. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

reading through this whole post and most are still lost.

the old ripple pipes the ripples where recessed and in a screw pattern.

30. ray

ray
    from colorado

none of us are "lost".

fuck man, these pipes ain't growing on trees, and there ain't nobody going to build a machine to make em...so the pep boys ripple pipe works for us, just as it worked for many customizers in the 60's. i'm happy with what i have. it's not wrong, just different than your ideal vision of what a ripple pipe should be.

i'm a toolroom machinist, if you really want spiral pipe so bad, i can build you the machine for maybe $100000...on the low end.