Register now to get rid of these ads!

Off Topic-Greyhound Freight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreenMonster48, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Has anyone used greyhound freight to ship anything before? Seems way cheaper than UPS. What can I expect?

2. dbradley

dbradley

Used it quite a bit "back in the day" to send things to small towns. Then, anyway, you had to take it to the bus station at your end and someone had to pick it up at the other. No door to door service. I assume its still the same. They had some limits on size and weight but it was pretty reliable service.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive never used it, But have heard that large and heavy items can be shipped this way, and fairly inexpensive..and same as stated above, the person who is receiving the item has to come on time to get it, and probably be able to unload it.

4. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I am going to the terminal at lunch today to pick up a '36 fender I bought. I'll let you know how it goes. It was half the price of UPS.

5. Cool, thanks a lot guys. I'm trying to buy some fenders from a guy on here, and I really don't want to pay friggin $300 to UPS.

Django...definitely let me know how it goes. Thanks

6. casper

casper

I use them all the time to ship large items. They are very cheap and the best part is, you do not have to box the item. I have shipped banjo rear ends and large front fenders by just wrapping them in shrink wrap and dropping them off. Quick and painless.

7. wayfarer

wayfarer

I had a vw roof rack shipped from southern Oregon, here to Spokane, WA. It was cheap on ebay because the guy wouldn't ship it. I contacted him and asked if he would by greyhound. He was surprised they did that but told me they had a greyhound stop right in his little town and he'd be glad to drop it off. It cost me $11 to get it here. He just said he wouldn't ship because of the high cost associated with such a large item. A couple of days later I got a phone call that my rack was at the station. I stopped by and picked it up, it wasn't even boxed up, just some bubble wrap on the ends. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

8. Professor Fate

Professor Fate
    from the bay

the price and convenience of greyhound has its pluses and minuses. you have to be able to pick up the item when the station is open. There are also insurance limits and not a lot of recourse if the item is damaged or stolen.

it is very personable way to ship though, which is lost in todays society.

9. Works well, did it many times.

10. 1gearhead

1gearhead

I have used Greyhound freight a few times to ship to and receive bulky parts. The freight rate is very reasonable compared to UPS or FedEx. There are size limitations (it must be able to fit into the baggage compartment of the bus. The biggest drawback is that you must deliver and pick up at the Greyhound bus terminal. Here in the LA area that means going to terminal in downtown LA and that's a hassle. Other than that it has worked very well for me.

11. solo_909

solo_909

USe www.uship.com its way better. You dont have to pack anything and the shippers come to you. Its a free site that shipping companies bid on your item to ship them and you choose what price. go there

12. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

I just shipped two front fenders off my 61 cadillac across the country. $80 for shipping compared to $160 for fedex/ups. It can get there quickly or slowly, as larger items are on space available and depending on how many station transfers they have to make. No really good way to track it though. I just wrapped in cardboard and bubble wrap and taped really good...both got there no problems. Most larger stations are open 24 hours...

13. solo_909

solo_909

I just had two 49 Merc inner and outer fenders shipped to me with uship.com and it only costed me 140 and they brought it the best way to go

14. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

used it one time years ago ,c-4 tranny, Dallas -LA - Dallas. worked like a hose!

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I used them a couple of times for really big items. shipped some 60 El Camino inner fenders California to NY for like 40 bucks each. those fuckers were like 5 feet long. saved a bunch of money.

use FED EX rather than UPS for medium/big stuff, way cheaper. save greyhound for the really big stuff... unless you are paying shipping... as a seller it is not worth the hassle to save someone else 20 bucks. I saved the guy $120.00 each on the fenderwells.

16. Weasel

Weasel

Shipping with 'The Dog':

Shipped a '41 Willys coupe decklid and a front bumper from So Cal to York PA three weeks ago for $57 with 'the Dog'. Decklid was too big for UPS/FedUp. However make sure you get one waybill per item as they split this shipment up and no way to track it. They give priority to passengers luggage and if there is no room for one or more of your items, they get sent on a later bus. Insurance is max $300 per shipment (waybill) but the drivers tend to be more careful loading and unloading than UPS/FedUp. Great way to go. www.shipgreyhound.com

17. I have used Greyhound for shipping heavy and/or bulky items. It is a much lower cost choice for things such as crankshafts and unsplit wishbones.

18. Hellfish

Hellfish

WAAAAY cheaper than any other carrier for large/awkward stuff, BUT they are not very good at letting the receiver know the parcel has arrived, so it's best to keep a close watch on the schedules and tracking number

19. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

I shipped a 120 lb Fender super twin reverb from maryland to california for 40$. Got it in 3 days, too.

Can't complain...

20. HeX

HeX

I have used it........... my shit got lost...... I never received a call when it finally arrived..... I had to point my package out to the "nice lady" working there..... they are nearly incompetent..... but, yes, they are cheap....... use at your own risk.

21. We used to ship big awkward printing galleys (30x40x1) via Greyhound to print catalogs,(pre-internet and PDFs) and I shipped a dash pad to Burbank a few years ago, the bus station smelled like urine, but it was cheap.

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've used it a bunch, not a problem.... seats, fenders, etc.

23. Right on....thanks a ton.

24. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Well my terminal in chicago is about 15 minutes from my office and is open 24 hours, so some of those issues won't really affect me luckily.

I agree, I didn't get a phone call that it was here. I called them myself to check and it was here. Don't really know when it actually arrived but it went out 3 days ago.

It was very painless and I am quite happy with the experience!

25. Darby

Darby

got a '39 Chevy truck door shipped from California to Boston two years ago. It took a couple weeks and they didn't call me when it arrived. I finally got it and convinced them that I didn't owe a "storage fee" since they didn't call me. It arrived with the glass still whole (the seller packed it really well), and it was half the cost of UPS.

I rode Greyhound this past week and saw varying degrees of handling care with the freight. One box seemed pretty tore up and the driver kicked it aside to make room. Another one had fragile stickers, and they used two people to slide it into the luggage compartment.

I'd use them again, but pack my stuff well and understand that it was a little less reliable than FedEx. It seems good for stuff like bumpers or axles; I never would have dared shipping a Twin Reverb, though.

26. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

I sent 4 tires to a fellow Hamber ,by his request--it was reasonable and fast--actually cheaper than when I sent cycle tires UPS

27. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mixed results here. make sure the sender packs and pads WELL! cherry 40 pu running boards ripped and bent.

28. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

Greyhound is great for things that are charged" oversize" by UPS-FedEX

per pound they are not that much cheaper, just if you have large stuff , or need it hauled somewhere on a weekend ,

But in Los Angeles are there are very few depots , Downtown LA, Long Beach + Santa Ana are the ones I know , so it might be 20 miles to go pick it up

29. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

i just got a quote for shipping a pair of split wish bones from Greyhound and UPS.The package weighs 30 lbs.it's a cardboard tube 5inches around x48 inches long UPS quote is 135 and change.Greyhound is 43.50 this is to ship to Illinois from Ct.with 200$ insurance.

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Greyhound works! I used it to ship a $3,500, 75 lb. concrete drill to Austin, about 2 months ago. I shipped on a Friday and the customer needed it that saturday. No problems and 1/4 the cost of UPS.

The "brown" ain't got shit on the hound!