Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cameron_WEB.jpg another Indiana street driven sprinter

2. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Is the Fire Truck drag strip still running in Islip?I have friends from there and while showing me around they showed me a drag strip where fire companys drag raced special "fire trucks".To get a time the crew of 3-driver and 2 fireman on the back had to drag the strip in a regular fashion BUT!,At the far end 2 guys jump off the back of the moving truck with a fire ladder and set it up and climb it to ring a bell that stops the clock!

3. racemad55

racemad55

This thread can't die yet can it,say it isn't so.

4. Greg Weld.jpg

The way it ought to be!

somebody should grab this pic as an Avitar :cool:

5. End of an era. Gremlin bodied modified in 1980[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG].

6. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

How about some old photos from New Bremen Speedway in Ohio circa 1958. This was billed as the fastest 1/2 mile dirt track in it's hayday. These were taken with an old box camera by a 10 yr old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. racemad55

racemad55

FritzJR, Is that Albany-Saratoga? Driver named Jeff maybe?

8. john56h

john56h

Saw this Barracuda project at the Lebanon valley Speedway Fall swap meet November 2007. Owner John Mason mentioned that the car had raced at Shangri-La Speedway in Owego, NY. He was asking $1000.00

[​IMG]

9. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

This is in Nashville,Tn.. the track is still there and used.This is where Daryl Waltrip started out years ago.

10. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

11. john56h

john56h

New project.....what could we build from this 1935 Chevy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. john56h

john56h

I found this picture of a 35-36 Chevy coach...looks like it would be a fine example of what I could make out of my recently salvaged rust bucket.

[​IMG]
    Andy Romano #97

13. Andy ran mostly at Fonda. This pic doesn't look like Fonda. Could this be the old Victoria Speedway? I never went there, so I don't know what it looked like.

14. john56h

john56h

Here's another one...same day, same track. Not Fonda, nor does it appear to be Malta or Utica-Rome.

[​IMG]

A few more Fonda memories:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. HanibleH20

HanibleH20

Here are pics of a one time ride I landed this past spring. The car was really cool, with the tranny between my feet. It had a hand clutch and the throttle pedal was a door hinge with a metal loop welded to it for a positive return. I couldn't get the car to power shift, so I'd have to pull the clutch all the way back with one hand and shift with the other. When you'd let go of the wheel it would turn hard left, like it should, and you had to get it into gear before it dove into the infield! The car was a dream to drive through the corners. You could four wheel drift it into the corners pick up the throttle and really dig coming off. It had cowl type steering except the box was mounted about a foot behind the beam front axle. This set up gave it MASSIVE bump steer. It was almost impossible to run in a straight line. It was the only race car I've ever driven that was harder to drive down the straights than through the corners. It was a pretty fast car and I never got all the way into it, tons of power to spare. I just wonder how fast it would have been if it didn't have the bump steer problems in the straights.

Attached Files:

16. Dwight Clock

Dwight Clock

I just registered and I want to comment on a couple of pictures. On the 1st page of this thread is a picture of the Charlie Jarzombek square coupe dated as 1965. Charlie actually ran this coupe at Riverhead and Langhorne in 1962 & 1963. Also the picture of Al Tasnady in the Paul Deasey 707 says it had a 430 c.i. + Lincoln engine. That engine was actually 511 c.i. and debuted in 1963 at Trenton (with the paint still drying!). As I get deper into this great thread I will post more comments.

17. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

This is slightly off topic, but this man is a late model icon.

[​IMG]
    Larry Gene Phillips: ( -2004) Springfield, MO
    Perhaps the winningest short track racer in history, the Springfield, Mo., driver began racing in 1960 and was still a successful asphalt racer when he retired in 2000. Besides hundreds of unsanctioned victories in the region, Phillips is the all-time winningest NCRA driver and won titles on the Kansas-based series in 1982 and 1986. He spent most of the last 11 years of his career on asphalt, capturing five lucrative NASCAR Winston Racing Series titles. He won over 2,000 and in one year he won 38 of 40 Winston Racing Series races.

Larry was truly a legend in the late models on the dirt or asphalt

18. gasit

gasit
    from Dago

Vancouver ,B.C., Mel Keens Chevy 283 with '36 Ford tranny Sprinter in 1964.
    [​IMG]

19. Dwight Clock

Dwight Clock

The coupe that was rebuilt was the offset Charlie Jarzombek coupe pictured earlier in this thread. The accident happened at Dover and the other car, #24, was driven by Bobby Ballantine.

20. john56h

john56h

How about a 1932 Ford Modified? From around 1979 at Middletown, NY, driver Eddie Strada of Hamlin Pennsylvania.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. My Dads last race car-

[​IMG]

22. Harold Lindsay
    [​IMG]

23. redchief344

redchief344
    from NorCal

I just found this post today and spent most of the morning reading it. Thanks everyone...this is a most awesome thread!

John, would you (or anyone else) have any pictures from Westboro Massachusetts Speedway?

Thanks again,

Bill

24. john56h

john56h

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.