Register now to get rid of these ads!

IRS or stock suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigeasy, Feb 19, 2008.

1. bigeasy

bigeasy

I'm having my '46 Chevy Panel rebuilt. Body's off to the media blaster, now the frame is ready for mocking up with motor, tranny and suspension.

The recommendation I'm getting is Hedit's Superide IFS and their Superide IRS. That IRS is really something I'd like to have, but I don't know if it's something I have to have. If I go with the Superide IFS - do I need the IRS? Or should I just replace the rear stock suspension with new parts?

Why all this angst? Cuz I like the 8 lug heavy duty axel and the Superide IRS will do away with that for sure.

2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

I think that as long as you go with the real traditional style IFS and IRS that guys were runnin' in the 50s and 60s you'll be OK.... Ahhhhhahahah.

Dude, the folks on here dig traditional stuff. I'm one of em' and I say stick with your stock set up. You already admitted you like it more anyway.

3. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I'd go with the IFS

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Decision time: You want a car or a truck?

If I went thru the trouble to find a big 40's Panel with 8 lug axles that I liked to drive...I'd assume I was more of a truck guy...
    REAL trucks with wimpy suspensions? No thanks.
    Go look under a Cummins Dodge or a Ford Superduty...you'll find solid TRUCK parts and the owners wouldn't want it any other way.

5. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

Man, stay with the solid rear axle. I myself have a jag IRS in my 51 shoebox and Im hate'n life right now because im wanting to install air suspension on my sled. Keep the money your going to spend on that IRS and put it some where else. Im at this point selling my IRS and poicking up a solid axle.

6. Weasel

Weasel

You buildin' a street rod or a hot rod??????? Google 'Mustang II suspension failure' before you buy - it will open your eyes - wide......

7. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Sure, clip the front.... Leave the rear alone If you are going to haul with it. If not hauling anything just put a little softer spring set in it....Remember what IRS systems come in.. Jags, vettes etc... That panel is no sportscar and will never corner like one.. Jason

8. bigeasy

bigeasy

I know some here have had experience using an IRS and was looking to see if it mattered in the way the ride would handle with only a IFS and not putting a IRS on it.

Bear Metal Kustoms, HotrodTrash and Hackerbill pretty much have given me the direction I was looking for. I don't mind the truck being a truck - Hackerbill you made me laugh.

I'm not building a show vehicle, I'm not building a luxury car. I'm putting together a solid daily driver - This ride's body is going to be in great shape, it has the looks of the 40's that I love and some more modern updates here and there for reliability. So I think I'll go with the IFS and keep the rear stock...

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like you need to take a couple of steps back and take a serious look at what you want the truck to be when you are finished.
    What do you intend to use the truck for when it is finished?
    Just as a rod for cruising and an occasional road trip?
    For towing something such as a car trailer or a boat?
    For a daily driver that may tow trailers and haul things?

The independent rear may ride good and handle nicely but they are primarily recommending it because they want to make a sale. And a large one at that.

If I went with their independent front end I think on this rig I would go with leaf springs on the rear or a 4 link and use a nine inch Ford or an 8 inch Ford rear. The reason for the Ford over a GM rear is that the axle bearings don't run on the axle shaft like the GM C clip axles do.
    I've run a Nova C clip axle under the 48 for years but If I loose a wheel bearing I will probably have to replace the axle too and that isn't something you want to have to do on a road trip.

I did the google searches that were recommended for the Mustang II style suspension failures and it looks like certain kits may have had some parts that were not up to the task and one can't tell if they were installed correctly to begin with.

One thing to remember is that a lot of the kit car industry used to use stock Mustang II pieces in their chassis. The stock crossmember was about 90 bucks across the counter from Ford and a lot of the early Cobra kits ran them with good luck.

10. job rated

job rated

If I go with the Superide IFS - do I need the IRS?

NO

11. crapshoot

crapshoot

good call. from the irs cars that i have rode in. to me its more hipe than anything unless you've got a sports car. unless you really drive the car really hard its not worth the extra money or work