Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Zinc Chromate paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Iceberg460, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Anybody know where i could get green zinc chromate paint like they used on the inside of '30s and 40's military aircraft? Does it come in rattle cans? Think it would be a good color for the interior of the RPU.

2. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

i use to work with dupont alot... but i never saw any of that stuff... check with air-yards.. see if they can get it and where...

3. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I got some at a Dupont autopaint place some years ago but I don't know if you can get it anymore. Came in a quart conetop can and you had to thin it. Great stuff for stopping rust.

Be very careful with it as it's pretty toxic.

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

I used to work as a mechanic for a major airline and zinc chromate was all over the place. That was years ago. I believe the EPA has stopped its production and I don't think it's still available.

5. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Thanks Overspray!

7. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm guessin' in a berg the size of Ft. Collins you should be able to find it local. Stop by the local (small) airport and see who's refinishing or repairing light aircraft. They should be able to let you know who has it locally if the yellow pages don't furnish results. Also some little airports have "junkyards" that may have cool crossover hotrod parts ( they do around here).

overspray

8. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I doubt you'll find it in many places anymore. I'm actually surprised Overspray found it in where he did. Many current lines of paint have removed it from their products which they now offer chromate free versions.

9. Yes it does come in spray cans. I have some in the flameable locker at work. Oh yeah, I work on a military base. From my experience with zinc chromate, it goes on almost transparent. Not sure if I'd use it as a color. You could always shoot it in O. D. green. I'm not sure where to find zinc chromate in the civilian world, but I can get you an NSN.

10. 56Sedan

56Sedan

11. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YES!!! and the Chromate free stuff SUCKS.

It's still out there.

I need some OD (olive drab) enamel, preferrably with lead in it, from WWII or thereabouts, if anybody can turn me onto some of that hidden away in a garage, warehouse, outhouse, whorehouse, or whatever.

overspray

12. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I can't really say, I haven't enough experience with chromate filled primers to comment on the performance of each. Actually I don't think I have any at all. All I can say is that If HOK's Chromate free version sucks, I can't imagine how good it was with chromate.

13. 56Sedan

56Sedan

overspray-
    Check your local army navy surplus.. I saw some in my local one not too long ago. The date on the can was like 1976 or somewhere in there.

14. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

15. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Looking at a can right now,at work:Tempo brandAviation Zinc Chromate Primer."Maximum adhesion for bare aluminum and steel".P/N A7-6889,YellowPPG P/N:VRA76889FS12AE.Yup,still available.

16. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lead and zinc chromate have large, dense molecules and give better protection from UV, salt, and moisture. Unfortunately, they are hazardous to our health.

HOK's products are great. I sure there is better resin technology in todays products, but I think that the lead and chromate free products don't protect as much. On the other hand, todays topcoat (paint/clear) technology is miles ahead of the old enamels and lacquers. Even if the primers don't have the large dense molecules for protection, the combination of todays good lead/chromate free primers, and good resin technology and better catalyzed topcoats probably makes it better all around. I still miss the lead in paint.

(sorry I must have chewed to much (lead based) paint off my crib as an infant)

overspray

17. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sadly, I don't have any real old fashioned Army Surplus stores in the area. A date of 1976 could possibly still have my beloved "lead" in the formula.

Well, I can go make my own OD green in newer technology, if I haved to.

overspray

18. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

19. LowFat48

LowFat48

Most marine stores / boat yards will carry it also....

20. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

If all you're after is "colour" why not just tint a light based primer
    to a zinc chromate like colour?
    There is a product called "Kilz", that I beleve is still widly available
    in a solvent base, that takes colorant well, and you could tint it to
    any shade you needed.
    I haven't seen "real" zinc chromate primer, here on the west coast,
    in twenty years!

Swankey Devils C.C.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

21. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Good stuff!

22. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I consider myself moderatly knowledgeable about paint, but I love talking tech with you. I will always defer to you and other verterans when it comes to tech on this stuff. Much kudos.

23. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Hey thanks for all the info guys.

24. bisquick59

bisquick59
    from wahoo,ne

i spray that stuff everyday(aviation job), and all i can say is protect your self as much as you can, even skin contact. bad bad bad stuff. some of the worst things for you.

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

The same goes for sanding it. It is a carcinogen.

26. bisquick59

bisquick59
    from wahoo,ne

yea thats no joke either, we where fresh air hoods, full suits and latex gloves. one breath of that shit and you know what im talking about.

27. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Zinc chromate primer is just regular primer with a liberal dose of zinc chromate pigment for corrosion control. The more zinc chromate, the better the corrosion control to a point. In a typical gray primer, you can add enough of the brilliant yellow pigment to add corrosion control but not dramatically change the color of the paint.

I remember once making some primer for personal use and adding extra zinc chromate to "spice" up the anti rust properties. The finished gray primer went from medium gray to a funky green, not unlike the background on edges of this page. I suppose the military spec paints might have those sorts of added levels as well.

The stuff is nasty and should not be in your lungs. Even if you wear a mask, there is a danger to the next guy sanding paint or primer off of your car.

Regarding corrosion control, there are plenty of other safer options available (though zinc chromate will always be regarded as outstanding in that area).

I would strongly recommend just figuring out what color and gloss you want and have your local paint source mix up a suitable can of semi-safe paint.