Register now to get rid of these ads!

moon ford nine 9" rear end cover

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1929rats, Feb 17, 2008.

1. 1929rats

1929rats

Guys,

I was flippin through the new Rod & custom during the Daytona 500 and saw something that striked my intrest. Its a ford 9" cover that would really dress up the ass end of my newest project. I put in a currie rearend and would like to give it some "bling".

I went on the mooneyes web site and saw this thing is for sale for $795! Thats alot of money, but, It'd look sweet on my car. Anyone buy one of these? does this fasten around the pumpkin and axles and get bolted in on the other side? Or, do I have to tap the rear to fasten this?

Does anyone else make something similar that doesnt cost this kind of money? I mean all it is is dress up stuff......gone are the days where you could chrome an olds or ford rear axle for 500 buck

anyone with pics would help me out .

Thanks,
    Pete

Attached Files:

2. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I had something similar under the '33 Willys I had. It only covered the pumpkin area. It was made by Team 3 Wheels (this was when Dick Beath still owned it). It was fully polished and said ET on it. I had a couple of blind holes with threaded rivets installed to hold it on. I also ran a bead on silicone around to keep dirt out. They were closing them out when I got mine and I don't know if they ever made anymore. Cost was around $150 if I remember right. You might want to check with them anyway. Maybe they sold the molds. Hope that helps. Mike

3. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I saw those at the Mooneyes BBQ last summer and I think these are extra, extra gay. They are, up there with the fake Quickchange cover, for your Banjo rear.
    They weigh a ton and do nothing for your Hot Rod, performance wise, but, if you are just into flashy stuff, this is all you.
    My two cents

4. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

yep...what he said.
    If I was gonna spend that much on something for my rear end, it better damn-well have a real function.
    A gusset is WAY cheaper, and, actually provides strength.
    Its a shame that the killer chrome days are behind us, but, these are, imo, a poor alternative. Pint it up nice, and use chrome details/accents around it where ya' can?

5. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

How gay does it have to be before it turns to extra gay?

6. 1929rats

1929rats

yeah.....the more I think about it.....795 is way to much....way too much for just a pretty rear end cover you have to get on your hands and knees to look at that does nothing performance wise......pretty much an impulse idea and post.....795!!!!!! I could never spend that...Ive bought about 7 cars for less than that

7. If someone wanted to pay that kind of money they would still have a hard time cutting away the areas for the mounting brackets on the housing and making it look good.Personally I would finish the housing really well, paint it and have some nice pinstriping done. Or I would try that new chrome paint sold by Alsa Corp.Now that would be different.

8. thesupersized

thesupersized

for that price you might as well get your whole rear end housing chromed...

9. Good question, I will ask a guy i work with tomorrow. He says he is only half gay.