Register now to get rid of these ads!

distributor question for people running sbc motors and intakes that use points dist.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomd, Feb 15, 2008.

1. kustomd

kustomd

I have an intake that has to have a points distributor in it and I was wondering what others on here are using in they're cars especially cars that are really performance minded cars cause I want to possibly race my truck some times besides drive it to car shows and as a somewhat daily driver.

I have 3 distributors I can use right now with my intake: first is a stock points dist. my second is a dual point accel number I35364 its a dual point with a mechanical advance. the second is an accel dualpoint with a mechanical tach drive and mechanical advance. I don't have the dist number but I can get it. the second accel dist. is a physically bigger dist than the first accel dist if that matters.

I have a lot of money tied up in my intake setup so I've got to find a way to run it. I thought about getting either a dual point conversion or elec. conversion for the stock dist that way I could use stock tune up parts on it. but I like the accel distributors I have to. my motor is NOT stock but some of the parts in it are a bit of a mystery to me like the cam size for instance.

I tried a pertronics kit in my 60 chevy one time but I never could get it to run right it actually ran worse than the stock points dist.

I like the power of the hei dist and driveabillity of them but I need it to be in a smaller package so my intake will work. Plus it needs to be on the cheap because I'm about out of cash.

I saw that mallory and accel both make elec. conversions has anyone used one of these to any success?

thanks for the help.

2. We can't run an HEI cause it is too large, so we are running the Pertronix. They perform very well. My son bought it before I could steer him to the Crane version.

I like the Crane version cause it just bolts down using the original points screws and is less expensive. No need to fool with it every time you change the rotor, like the Pertronix.

Tony

Tony

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

nuthin wrong with points unless you buy the $3.48 ones.

The 12.00 Delco's last and are reliable. OR find NOS All old points work well.

Frank

4. The Wizard!

The Wizard!

There are several options you can adapt in but you know if your short on cash there is nothing wrong with a well set up points system. All the big horse engines out of the sixties ran them and worked well. Spend your change else where. :cool:

5. I had a hard time understanding your problem. Your sbc intake will accept any sbc distibutor UNLESS your firewall it too close to the engine to use an HEI type larger diameter distributor. There isn't an intake made that will solve that problem.

Charlie

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you couldn't get a Pertronix conversion to run like a scalded dog you did something wrong. I've used 3 of them (all still running) and by following the foolproof instructions they don't miss a beat to 7,000 . Be sure to use the recommended coil and your good to go.

Frank

7. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Run the points system and forget it. Use a set of CS756 good quality points from napa and a matching condensor.
    The cs756 have a spring and a brass contact strap not a single rusty piece of metal like some of the cheaper units.
    I build contact systems all the time and have found they are very hard to beat. Cheap insurance to have in the glovebox...:)

8. jerry

jerry

If affordable use an MSD 6 triggered off the points distributor. I've been running this same setup for a few years with no problem.

jerry

9. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

I second the Pertronix conversion, and I can testify. I got the lobe sensing unit. I really like it. You should give it a try. It can detect the lobes on the dizzy and does not have a ring of magnets to mess with. However, DO NOT use a Pertronix coil... IMHO they suck. I threw one out after, like, 20 miles, it was leaking oil out the top and burned out. Now I'm runnin' a stock coil and external resistor. Works great!

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I take it that you are probably running a tunnel ram?
    I ran a check and can't find the Delco 106 HP which were the good Delco points for a single point dist.
    For the street a vacuum advance distributor would probably be easier to live with. Figure that unless you are racing you will probably only have to change the points once a year if that unless you intend to drive a lot of miles.
    I'd say put it in with a good set of points and condensor, a good cap with the brass contacts and matching rotor and good quality. If you decide to go with one of the electronic conversions later it is a simple swap at that time.
    Remember before 1974 everyone ran points without problems except having to change them on a regular basis. The electronic units eliminate that task and do allow for a better state of tune and a lot longer span between tuneups.

I thought a "Dizzy" was the main subject of a blonde joke. In my 61 years 45 + as an active car nut I never saw that untill I joined a flathead forum. And that was two years ago.

11. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

3rd on the Pertronix. I have used many and all are still going strong. Used Mallory once and its still going after 10 years. I use a stock coil for everything. Points are ok, but duals are just a pain in the butt.
    HEI's just don't look right on older cars.

12. it's hard to say if a HEI will or won't fit since he didn't mention what intake manifold he is using. some early intakes like an Edelbrock C4B do not have room for a large distributor like an HEI because it will interfere with a runner. it will not go in unless you modify it. also , some tunnel ram and multi-carb intakes do not have room either

i assume this is the reason why he needs to stick with a points distributor

13. You were a better assumer than me - LOL. I guess I was having trouble reading between the lines. I take it all back.

Charlie

14. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

I said this the other day .it's 2008 .Points belong to the 20th Century along with points wear and constant breakdowns,loss of power and bad fuel economy.

15. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

yeah,,i had a C3BX and couldnt run an HEI,,took it off to save it for a future project,and put it up ,,

,,havent seen it since,,,still wondering what happened to it :(:(:(

16. In the past I've used an electronic box along with points, same idea as the 6AL or whatever, takes the load off the points so they last virtually forever, and the electronics are out in the air stream where heat can be given off. For my latest project I bought a box from MSD, but it is a much less pricey item, has none of the exotic features of the other, but should do the trick, think it's called a Super Blaster.

The Accell's you have; if you pull the caps you will find that the larger one has an upper bearing, you won't be able to see the points without pulling the upper plate. This one would theoretically be the superior one, but; unless you plan on spinning this thing into the stratosphere the other should be fine.

Points adjustment and proper lubrication are what makes them live. Setting dwell occasionally is simple, clean, and quick, and makes all the difference. it's done with an inexpensive meter and an Allen wrench.

A not often known fact is that points can be had with light or heavy spring pressure. The heavy is for high rpm's, but some dual point distributors have four lobe rotors and can use the lighter springs and still achieve lofty speeds.

The stock unit may have unacceptable wear, if not it too can be upgraded to perform well with a curve kit and an adjustable vacuum advance. On the street this would most likely be best, as the vacuum advance is a mileage device.

17. ray

ray
    from colorado

another vote here for points triggering a msd type box. you can get the summit branded boxes for around $120. nice simple setup that can be converted back to stock type points in you are really in a hurt on the road, but damn near every parts store in podunk kansas has aftermarket ignition boxes on the shelf nowadays.

i used to be a pertronix believer. not anymore.

18. suavemechanic

suavemechanic

i had a drop in conversion kit once by bosch,back when hei ignition was expensive and new.
    important thing to remember is some cars (any with a resistor ) have only 9 volts at the ignition wire . this will make your hei or drop in kit run like crap
    run a fresh 12 v wire and life will be better
    for the street i like vacuum advance even if i have to gap my points every month
    cheers

19. Dyce

Dyce

Edelbrock C-3B and C-4B intakes don't clear HEI either. Best distributer I ever had was a Mallory dual point with a vaccume advance. It just had the nicest advance curve. On the street run a vaccume advance. It just works. My next engine is running a corvette tack drive distributer with Petronics.
    Jeff

20. twofosho

twofosho

Just buy a good brass contact cap and rotor. Make sure the vacuum and mechanical advance mechanisms are lubed up and work as intended. Find a decent coil, fresh condenser, and add in Delco Remy points D112P (contact set in GM parlance), part # 1966294 (the only ones I'd use "back in the day"). Stir a fresh set of wires and plugs of the correct heat range for your particular motor into the mix and you can hold your head high. I've won more than my fair share of races with just such a setup. Point sets might be considered archaic by all you "traditional hot rodders", but with a little attention and adjustment every now and then (routine maintenance it used to be called), they work just fine.

21. Hello Kustomd:
    Every body has an opinion, here's mine:
    Having owned a Sun distributor machine for 25 years, I would not put
    an Accel distributor in anything but an add on E-bay. I agree with 1/2 of the board that the factory single point unit works Very well. Good quality points and condensor and your good to go. MSD makes a cap for it that lets you use HEI style wires. If you want no points buy a Mallory or MSD unit and they work very good. The MSD unit is easy to change the curve to suit your needs. Both make them with stock diameter caps.
    Matt

22. 30on32

30on32

Send the one that you like to http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/
    various options that can be done to that distributor. Make it into an MSD type, or convert to HEI

23. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

I use a stock points type in my coupe for 10 years. never had a problem. Had it recurved so full advance is 3000 rpm and have left it alone since. It has been down the dragstrip many times (street rod shootout @ Indy), and gets 20 mpg on the highway...What else can you ask for...........

24. AHH. Myself I'm a points man!! We all refer to back in the day what we used to get away with. Hell yes it used to work but today is today plain and simple. The problem with using a point system aint the points. It's the piss-water gasoline we're trying to burn. Back in the day you got race fuel from the pump for 40 cents a gallon. Use the points for the reliability and just put a hot ass coil with it.

25. kustomd

kustomd

I do have a tunnel ram and I also have a couple of multi carb intakes but all three of them won't work with an hei plus I don't like the look of an hei on an open hood car. Like my truck.

I may just run the stock points dist. that way if I break down I can get parts at whatever parts store I can find.
    My other problem I was worried about is I can turn 6500 rpm now with the holley single 4 intake thats on it now and I wanted to be able to turn the same kind of rpms. The dist thats in it now is a hopped up hei with aftermarket internals so it can turn over 5500 rpms.
    I am thinking of running the tunnel ram because I like the looks of it. but thats just me and its my truck.

26. Points will work however the gas and spark plugs we had back in the day were better. Most spark plugs you commly find today are resistor type. A stock points system with radio supression wires and resistor spark plugs just doesnt have enough poop in its pants to fire todays gas in a high performance high compression high rpm engine. OldWolf

27. Dyce

Dyce

I have to agree. With any ignition system, the higher the compression the less gap you should run on the plugs, and this gets even more important when you run points. I've run points in few engines, but once you run points and switch it to electronics you will never go back.
    Jeff

28. MSD says that up to 10.25 compression run 50-60 gap and then when it gets up to 13.5 it lowers to 35-40. They also recomend if you hook up to a dual point distributor to remove the trailing set of points.

29. giddyup-go

giddyup-go

will an accel supercoil work ok with the pertronix?

30. fastrichy

fastrichy
    from ne ohio

crane points conversion worked great for me. just running a slightly hotter than stock coil. accel distributors have let me down every time i tried them;both on the street or the strip.