Register now to get rid of these ads!

LS7 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAD A, Feb 10, 2008.

1. 38pickup

38pickup

Or you could just put a set of offy studebaker covers on.

2. Greg are those Kinsler or Harrop TB's?

3. 8flat

8flat

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

4. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

I DONT KNOW WHY YOU WANT TO COVER UP lS1 THE ONE I'M PUTTING IN A HOT ROD LOOKS GOOD TO ME

Attached Files:

• lS1.jpg
      lS1.jpg
      File size:
      76.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Weasel

Weasel

A couple of things to consider here - the SBC was a 'late model' engine in 1955-65. The LS series was introduced in 1997 and it is now 2008. So this is already an eleven year old engine family.

They give great gas mileage, trouble free operation and the block is 2 inches shorter than a SBC, making for easier installation in smaller engine compartments. A word of caution: if using after market motor mount adapters - some of them, such as the TransDapt do not work with the LH series iron block engines as they want to share space with the A/C compressor. The accessory drive systems vary from model to model. The TD conversion mount also pushes the block back into the same position as a stock SBC which negates the shorter block advantage if doing a swap out.

The LS7 is really a separate engine from the rest of the Gen III & Gen IV series as it uses C5R heads and has completely different intake ports from any of the other engines. Just about everything on it is LS7 specific. These are NOT the same as the Gen IV L79/92 heads used on the LS3, so intake manifold swaps are not an option unless you have custom made pieces. Also the 4L60E trans is marginal and you would be better off with either the 4L65E or 4L80E. Best of all would be the 6L80E from the latest Escalade. But with all the 80 series transmissions, size is a consideration when planning the swap.

A note here - the forthcoming ZR1 LS9 engine is based on an LS3 and with the Magnacharger makes even more horsepower than the LS7 630hp as opposed to 505hp. You may build one yourself from a crate LS3 and a Magnacharger kit if they have an intake for the rectangular port L79/L92 heads. You may have to swap for forged blower pistons. No word on a crate LS9 - yet.....

Use the factory drive by wire throttle pedal if you can - it will save you a load of headaches.

That having been said, if you want a trouble free reliable ride with great gas mileage and great performance, as long as you are thick skinned, can stand the heckling, don't put it in a Ford and don't mind being labeled as a Street Rodder, it's a great way to go.

6. scrappy

scrappy

Weasel - "Putting a Chevy in a Ford is like gay marriage. It may work but it wasn't meant to." I think having a more open mind in regards to someones preferences on how THEY choose to build there hot rod is what true rodding is about, no ? I hate it when people are put in a box or labeled.

BAD A: On a side note, I have a set of motor mounts / plates that convert a LSX mount to be accepted in 60's cars - not sure how they would help with older cars but may be a good start for ya. $45 let me know if you need em ...

Also I saw someone made a set of ardun looking covers some time ago ( I think the car was in hot rod or car craft ) looked pretty sweet ...

7. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

that much billet makes me queasy...easy on the caps lock though man, seems like you're yelling :p

8. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I don't know...It looks to me like a sewing machine and a printing press got into a fight while eating a pair of roller skates.
    Too much going on...

9. GreggAz

GreggAz

our injection system is from imagine injection, and we modified the manifolds to route all of the injector and alt wiring through.

Once these motors are cleaned up, have the coils hidden, and especially if you can change the intake, I think they make great looking motors.

We had NO problem with the vette oil pan, and if we had not changed the injection, we would have run the stock throttle.

this setup has fooled many people who do not look close, even people who own ls powered rods.

as for cost, I would argue that there is no way you could BUILD a hemi for the cost of a take out LS motor. This is not a good example of that, but the parts for these motors are not much more than a standard SBC, and hemi parts are outrageous.

10. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Now I shouldn't keep this going, really.. completely off topic for this board but...
    I admit I know nothing about these and what their worth but I'd imagine a LS7 would be extremely hard to find, resulting in high prices ($10000?+). I think the crate is like $14000.
    As far as parts aren't the cams like $400, coil packs $800, heads $2500, then tunes, harnesses, etc, etc.
    Even a LS1 for $5000, harness, trans and all. Once you add heads, cam, dressup, tune, etc, etc you'd be at probably $7500+. I'd imagine a neat old motor with soul could be running really good for that price..granted it wouldn't be as light, efficient, powerful but its not all about that..
    Don't get me wrong but I think they are a great motor, best one chevy ever built probably, I'd love to have one in a pony car disguised as a SCCA transam racer lol. But hotrods need soul, not technology.

11. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

If you want the best late model engine to put into an early car this is it.......

[​IMG]

12. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Or like this.....

[​IMG]

13. hemi

hemi

Now THAT's funny.... I always said they had a whirly-gig pulley system....

While not very traditional, the blue one posted is very nice looking...

14. You can buy a complete LS1 pullout, trans, harness etc. for $3500. Add a cam and springs for $500 and you have 450hp setup.

15. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

So where ya gonna put the oil sump?

Seems like a lot of folks do not get that a LS7 is a TOTALLY different animal from the earlier LS motors?

16. Mooosman

Mooosman

I would pick an LS motor over the Mod motor any day of the week!! Much better design, IMHO.

Nick

17. BAD A

BAD A

Not sure yet. Maybe in the truck bed.

18. Kulturepimp

Kulturepimp

F.A.S.T. makes the best harness and reprograms computers. It has taken my no more than 15 mins to wire the last two i did and they perform flawlessly.

19. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

"I would pick an LS motor over the Mod motor any day of the week!! Much better design, IMHO."

Nick

I dunno Nick. From the tea leaves I'm reading both GM and Chrysler are going to have to come up with an engine design that can take advantage of both variable lift and timing. At this point both of their pushrod designs will not adapt to these technologies in a practical manner. Don't get me wrong both the LS and the new "Hemi" are good engines. It's just that their place is in new vehicles. The Ford Modular is not only a dynamite engine that is fuel efficient and reliable, and it responds well to all the typical hot rod tricks. The nice thing though is that they actually look decent and all the accessories are bolted directly to the block in a very compact manner. Takes alot of the headaches out of fitting them into different applications. Further the Mods are very short in length, no longer than a Flathead. Look at the pic of the Deuce above, no firewall recessing like what is required from an LS or the Chryco Hemi.

20. BigRedDude

BigRedDude

Bad A, as mentioned several times the LS1Tech website is the way to go, they have a conversion and hybird section that will answer all of your questions, and everyone on there is willing to help.

Pro-Stock John knows his shit, trust me, I've been a member of that site for over 4 years, and there is a wealth of knowledge on these engines over there.

IMO As far as being traditional, who cares, that engine you got will look good in anything. And for the low buck people wanting to do the LS conversion check out Cleveland Ohio Pick a Part, they always have these things cheap. Good luck with the build, and keep us posted.

~Big Red Dude
    (AKA 02 WS-6)

21. Mooosman

Mooosman

Yeah, they're shorter in length, but a Mod motor is about 4" wider than a 460 Ford!!! All that physical size for only 281 c.i.?? No thanks. For the same package size, I can fit a new tall-deck LSx block in there, and have 500 c.i.!

I have seen the Mod motor taken apart. We actually went through one at the machine shop I worked at. It has some of the dumbest things I have ever seen in an engine! The 2 valve heads are total garbage! They required 5 hours of port work just to get them up to where a stock Chevy Vortec head is, airflow wise! That is partly because of the super small bore, but still...:rolleyes:

Mod motors have their place...And that is between the fenders of trucks. The LS engine design is so much simpler and easier to work on, that that alone makes it a better engine to begin with. Never mind the fact that it can wipe the floor with ANY mod motor with just basic stuff (heads/cam/headers). Cubic inches and cylinder head airflow is where power is made. The mod motor has neither, and the LS has both. That's just the way it is.

I'll take the LS. You can get anything from a 5.3 truck engine, to a 5.7 F-body LS1, to an Escalade 6.0, and drop it into ANY classic car that you could fit a SBC into. And with the new wiring harnesses coming out, it's easier than ever. Some bolt-ons, and you have 450 hp and decent mileage.

The mod motor? You better hope you have an engine bay that can accept a BBF!

Nick

22. Anyone running an LS1/ LS2/ LS6/ LS7/ L92/ L76 engine in their ride?

I'm going to drop one of them into my '51 Merc over the winter, depends on the deals I come across. Found an L92 shortblock fairly cheap but I'd rather find a complete long block.

23. Retrorod

Retrorod

How about a Cadillac motor for a hot rod. I think so!

Attached Files:

24. That looks like an LS- something under that air cleaner. :)

25. Retrorod

Retrorod

I forgot the other picture. It really is a Cadillac!

Attached Files:

26. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

I actually just picked up a 04 GTO LS1 and T56 (M12) tranny for my 1952 Ford F1. I felt it was the best choice for me. It's a little wide and I might have to relocate the A/C compressor and altenator, but we'll see.