Register now to get rid of these ads!

'58 Chevy 2 door post questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ken Carvalho, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

There is one here for $450.00, that is "very ruff" BUT salvageable??? The main question is the rear QTR. windows are "fixed in place" they are there, in, and have all the trim around them BUT they DO NOT roll up and down. Also there is NO back seat, and looks like, as pointed out by the owner, has NO provisions to mount a back seat. The next question is decoding it, (it has a six cyl.and yes I know it could have been swapped) yet the trim tag denotes a V-8. The owner/ "expert" says this is the type of car that was a factory "race car"!!! --Yeah whatever-- but what are your thoughts on the questions I have. The floors are a little rusty, and the quarters are too, but is this a rare care that I should be "jumping on" or just another '58 post car?? Thanks, Ken

2. Well, with the "original" motor missing, it's not gonna be a #'s matching big dollar, BJ auction car.

I would more suspect it was something along the lines of a salesman oriented type car. Similar to the 55-57 handyman models. I'm not too sure though, I'm not as up on the 58 history.

3. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I could care less about the BJ stuff!! I want the car for myself, not to turn a profit. This car is very ruff, but if it is something that is reasonably rare I would be willing to tackle the rebuild.

4. 58 chevy's are beautiful cars...

here is one of my buddies... dunno what happened to this one.. but he does have a #'s matching 58, 348 4 speed convertible car.. which is restored... beauty!

[​IMG]

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not sure about a 58 but tri 5s like that were just called buisness coupes,they had stationary back side glass and no back seat so you had a place to put your vacum cleaners,hair brushes,shoes or whatever you were selling:D..............they werent actualy (coupes) in those years like the earlier years, they were just stripped down sedans.

6. did they make impala business coupes? would it be a biscayne bel-air or a delray?

7. rustrustler

rustrustler

For what it'sworth I believe it's just a salesman's special. Now that being said they were the lightest body style in 58 so it could well have been a racer. The most important question is how do you feel about it? Do it because you want it, eventually someone will come along and need it more anyhow and you will make huge sums of money and remember your friends that told you to buy it. RIGHT? Good Luck, Mike.

8. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

No 4-speeds in 58 guys.

9. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

for the back seat question if it has no mounting points for it then i think i was a buissnes coupe. Chevy made something like that in 39 with no backseat so the travailing salesman could put his stuff behind the seat. Well good luck i wouldnt care about what it has in it or what it has because if you built it then you can put it in anyway. You cant even get a set of ok quarters for that price here in california, i would go for it.

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

The tri fives were bottom of the line 150s

11. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Hell, I was just SO EXCITED to find a '58 2-door I could afford, I didn't even think to ask/look which one it was, BUT here is the "CRAIGSLIST" ad number" 569268043, I can't find ANY info either as to the non-moveable rear qtr windows and NO seat, but maybe it as what LOW BUDGET said??!?!?!?

12. Except for the corvette, didn't Chevrolet pull out of racing after 1957?

13. reads like a delray or a biscayne got some pics?.. for $450.00 bucks and you are happy with the car go get it...

14. Yup. My 56 150 wagon only has a sunvisor on the driver's side and no outside mirrors. lol

15. Biscaynes only had 2 lights per side on the rear too. Didn't they?

16. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I put the ad post # up above,(it's on craigslist) as far as "being happy" I was alot more by the description over the phone, than when I saw it in person!!! BUT was willing if it was a little more rarer than your normal production car. As for the "racing" part I just threw that in because that is what "HE" said. I thought it was funny!!!! Keep the info coming guys I appreciate it!!! Ken

17. If it is the "salesman special" that we all think it is, it is rarer now because they were used and abused more than your more desireable models. Just like my 56 2 door 150 wagon. Production #'s were something like 17 or 18,000 units. More than double the nomad #'s, but there are probably less of them left. IDK.

18. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

If you're too fucking lazy to post the link to Craigslist, then I'm too fucking lazy to go and search it out.

But I will do this for you, so listen up and take it in.

Del-Ray was the BOTTOM of the line in 58 and also the last year for Del-Ray. This model has 2 tail lights like the Biscayne......it does NOT have the ribbed aluminum between the stainless spears like the Biscayne and it does NOT the stainless around the doors *where the windows roll up to doofus*. It also only has a single piece of stainless and not a top/bottom piece.

Biscayne also has the double tail light, has a top and bottom spear of stainless and ribbed aluminum between it.

Both models will say BISCAYNE or DEL RAY on the rear just behind the door, as well as on the glove box door.

Bel Air had the double tail light as well. Had the Impala spear and the inserts on the front fenders......3 small chevrons like a 57 Chevy.

Any other questions?

DEL RAY:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BISCAYNE:
    [​IMG]

BEL AIR:
    [​IMG]

19. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

20. wayfarer

wayfarer

Ken, I'd guess it's a biscayne from the pictures, but I don't think you can really tell, since the pictures don't show much.

21. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Yeah, also...don't know where I would put it either!!!!

22. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Tell me to calm down again and I'll show you excited. I am calm. Dork..........I put the number in on Craigslist and it told me to go kick rocks.

Everyone asked the model and you gave them the number. If it were MY guess, without seeing pics, ***DORK***, I'd say it was a Del Ray in Businessman gear.

Racer? Pffft prolly not. Still pretty rare being a businessman's deal.

BTW, if you wanna see me cranky and spanky, I can do that.:D Nicer on LB? Hahahaha don't ruin my reputation.

23. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

i've got a pic of delray we cruised around in as a kid,no back seat ,no rear window winders and a 235 six with bolt action 3 speed. Can't find it at present..might be able to dig it up in a couple of days if i get back.

24. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

CALM DOWN *****wench***** I SAID I didn't know the model..Go re-read, with your GOOD eyes! maybe it's because how BITCHY you are it told YOU to kick rocks! WTF, your rep! Hmmmm whatever, Back to the questions at hand "BOYS" pictures and ad is here

58 Chevy 2 Dr Post - $450

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reply to: [email protected]
    Date: 2008-02-10, 8:33AM PST

This is a ruff 58 Chevy two door post. The has some rust in it and alot of extra parts. call Bill

Attached Files:

25. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

It is a Del Ray. There is no stainless on the top of that driver side door. Also, there is only a line for one piece of stainless on the rear quarter. You'd see paint missing from two places if it were Biscayne.

My good EYES?! I've only got ONE ya know.:rolleyes:

26. I think 58 was the last year you could buy a business coupe, and if production numbers were available, you'd probably discover that there were very few of those when new, and lots less now. Grab it. And while you were at it, grab that Imperial ragtop behind it.

27. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

WELL. never mind!! Thanks for all the info!!
    I went today to pay the guy and this is his answer---QUOTE--- " Sorry man but I got such a response, that I figured I must of asked to LITTLE for it so now I am just gonna part it out on E-BAY!!!" ---QUOTE--- I am NOT fucking kidding!!! I chewed his ass out, and told him it is ASS-HOLES like him that part out restorable/salvageable cars for a profit!!!
    SORRY I was FUCKING mad!!!! Yeah I know it is HIS car and he can do what he wants, BUT i had a fucking deal with him yesterday, telling him I would be there today with the cash!! I didn't even offer less than what he wanted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry for the rant!! I have just wanted a 2 door '58 for so God Damn long I thought "this was the one"!!!!!!!!!!! I am going out to the garage to lift, and hit the " punching bag" to get out the anger!!!
    Maybe I am madder than I should be?!?!? I don't know I am just really pissed about this!!!!!!Ken

28. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

Sorry man that sucks but good lesson for all of us it ain't a deal till money and paperwork changes hands and the car is at your shop. And sometimes not even then.

29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

If the guy's a jerk to back on on a deal, to "part it out for more money", my guess would be he does'nt have paper on the car to start with. I think business coupes went up through 1960, 1959 for sure. 58' Chevrolets had a one off, one year only, rear suspension did'nt they? I go along with the car being a Delray, base model business coupe. Was it overdrive by chance? Keep checking with the guy, watch the auction site to see if he follows through. Maybe you'll get it yet. Have anything to throw in to sweeten the deal; T.V., computer, the name of a good orthopedic surgeon? Keep on him! Looks like in the pic there are other cars around; what's code compliance got to say about it? Get my drift?

30. chopped

chopped

Sic Brandy on him. That should teach him a thing or two.