Register now to get rid of these ads!

1962 T-Bird Landau

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steeby, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Steeby

Steeby

Ok... I got a 1962 Ford Thunderbird Landau and I want to change the Landau top into a regular top. I don't know any steps in the process of this at all. When I take off the top what am I going to see under there what all would I need to do to make this happen? If anyone has ever dealt with this before or has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

If the car is from nevada might have some surface rust under the top. all they are is glued down. rip it off sand the top and repaint. if its not rusted remove glue and buff out the paint ( if your lucky)

3. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

If your not kustomizing it the Landau is worth more then just the coupe.
    If your making a kustom no big deal take it off sand it down and prep it for paint, a nice metalflake top would look nice.
    By the way I have a '63 T-Bird! Have fun with it.

4. Gas Huffer

Gas Huffer

I've been telling him a gunmetal base with candyapple flake over it would be killer for the roof. There's a bit of rust in the trunk under the mat, but overall, the car looks pretty solid and the top looks as though it's been redone at some time (fresh looking material). Then it's just getting the right stance 2"-3" lower and some Astros with pinwalls.

Here's a pic...

Attached Files:

5. Black flake would keep it subtle, but ditch the landau bars.

I like dark bulletbirds so I painted mine and flaked the roof like the interior.

Attached Files:

6. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Here is my T-bird roof. It had those Landau things on it

[​IMG]

7. replace it with a zodiac naughahyde ?

can it be used outdoors?

8. fish3495

fish3495

Toast.....

I have a 63 bird also. I often thought about two tone paint like that. Do you have any better shots of the whole car?

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Fish check out his thread, I've seen the car in person all I can say is WOW!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238584

10. Steeby

Steeby

What do you mean can it be used outside... you mean the current top? If so then ya.

11. Fidget

Fidget

I've removed a couple vinyl tops. Both had some rust thru around the rear window, under the vinyl and window trim. It looked like water got thru cracks in the vinyl, then stayed there where the trim covered it working its magic. Besides that, it was just removing the old adhesive, and filling any screw holes from the trim or emblems.