Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bike engine in a car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yosemite Hermit, May 20, 2004.

1. I think that motorcycle engined 3/4 scale 32 was bought out by Chupps.

Chupp's

There are quite a few Brit Lotus seven type cars that use bike engines, just search the web for lotus 7 or "locost" lotsa guys build those "locost" cars at home much like we do.

2. just steve

just steve
    Member Emeritus

Had more thoughts on the transaxle idea -- VW and Corvairs have the engine hanging off the back of the transaxle, so the transaxle would have to be turned around to work with a front engine layout. This would make the car go backwards with an engine that turned the right way.

However, if your motorcycle engine turns "backwards," like someone mentioned, it might be an ideal setup.

This is where it might help to talk to some of the sand rail/dune buggy guys. I think some of them convert the transaxles to they can use mid-engine layouts.

Steve.

3. disastron13

disastron13

Google search "triking moto guzzi"
    You'll find a little English sports car with a Guzzi motor.
    You don't need reverse if you build light.
    The first Cooper cars had Norton motors.
    Old HD Servicar gearboxes had reverse but they are only good for about 28 HP, they're a twenties design.
    Lots of bike-motored cars have been built, you can do it.

4. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

On a VW trans-axle it is simply a matter of fliping the ring gear to reverse rotation.

5. marq

marq

The 3 wheel motorcycle engined sports car you talk of is most probably a Morgan or a copy of one these have the engine right up front.......................Marq

6. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

cosmo, isnt that the same kinda car that was in American Graffiti that Curt Henderson drove?

7. swissmike

swissmike

I have always loved those Morgan 3-wheelers...

Attached Files:

8. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

[ QUOTE ]
    If it fits the plans, think about a transaxle. Porsche, VW, Corvair -- all would have reverse, and you'd just have to figure out a driveshaft from the engine output to the transaxle.

For what it's worth, my Sprite has an 80-ci A-series four-banger that puts out about 100 horsepower. Moves a 1,400-pound car around very well. That cycle engine in a lighter car would give you Lotus Super 7 performance and then some!

Steve.

[/ QUOTE ]

If my memory is right, I think that Corvairs rotate in the opposite direction as VWs.

9. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

[ QUOTE ]
    Had more thoughts on the transaxle idea -- VW and Corvairs have the engine hanging off the back of the transaxle, so the transaxle would have to be turned around to work with a front engine layout. This would make the car go backwards with an engine that turned the right way.

However, if your motorcycle engine turns "backwards," like someone mentioned, it might be an ideal setup.

This is where it might help to talk to some of the sand rail/dune buggy guys. I think some of them convert the transaxles to they can use mid-engine layouts.

Steve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok here's the scoop if you're using a VW transaxle... you gotta match the rostation of the input shaft. You can flip the ring and pinion if you want to change the rotation of the wheels. Pre-68 Busses use the same transaxle as a Beetle but they have reduction gearboxes at the end of the axles. They just swap the R&P to get everything spining the right way.

10. noboD

noboD

Rix2Six is correct, Corvairs and Vdub turn opposite directions. Ring gear flips in Vdub, not sure about Corvair. Early Pontiac Tempests used a Corvair Transaxle with a torquetube affair, even with the 326 V8. I've seen Corvair's with BB Chevys and Porsche 914s with Chevy V8s. Transaxle would solve alot of problems. Corvair suspension is similar to Corvettes, open halfshafts with u-joints on each end. Would be easy to shorten them to narrow the rear. Saw a Crosley convert. at Oley, Pa. motorcycle show this year. It had a flathead Harley motor and trany, complete with kick start. You've got a cool idea

11. nzsimon

nzsimon

This one does 233kmh down the back straight and goes round corners like its on rails no reverse though and stopping and starting can be a nightmare as the clutch is either on or off 1300cc motorcyle engine

Attached Files:

12. skull

skull

l am putting my 34 chevy dwarf car on the road,, making it street legal and gonna cruise the heck outta it,, you can try talking to people who build/work on dwarf and legend cars// [there are several web sites]/// l called many and most were very helpful,, one even got a sprocket for me to hook up my 1100cc honda motor to my chain drive adapter so l could hook up from the chain drive to the driveshaft then out to the toyota truck rearend [most places told me dealers only on this part but this guy gave me the warehouse # and the company shipped the sprocket right to my door] l think a dwarf car on the street will rock..

13. After some research, i am thinking of using a polaris gearbox that is either hi/lo/rev or forward/reverse with a comet cvt. the one's i have been looking at are from 400cc-600cc atv's. i havent found out the ratios yet, so that maybe an issue. They seem to be plentiful.

i have even considered using a polaris 400cc motor but i havent been able to find much info on hp ratings on them. i am thinking a rear engine design to keep it simple.

any input is appreciated.

14. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

It's funny that this comes up, I've been toying with the idea of having a T roadster powered by a motorcycle engine. I didn't want to build it for power but more for fuel economy and put a hood on it so it still looks like a normal T, I figured if I built it as basic as possible and used a modern but common jap bike motor that it could be done for cheap be lightweight and I could enjoy the hell out of my new daily driver. thanks for all the links you guy's that helps me out a ton.

15. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

I've seen a VW with a H-D motor running around town. It runs real good. Sounds a little different, but can light up the tires.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm glad this has come to the top again.

There is a place about 5 or 6 doors down that builds trikes, they have a diff/suspension set up sitting in the window. Every time I drive by this all goes through my mind.... One of my customers that builds SFI spec chassis and I were talking about it the other day..

17. pitman

pitman

Another means of having reverse gear, would be to draft-up a planetary gear set, that became the hub, of the bike's output sprocket. When locked, you have direct drive (and the gear teeth need to be able to handle the HP) if the planet "spider" (joins the planet gear hubs together) was fixed, then you'd have a reverse! :eek:
    The starter motor solution is simple enough, if the "clutching" and speed can be varied.

18. mustangsix

mustangsix

Most of these issues have been tackled by the guys building those insane bike-engine Locosts. Sub-1000 lb roadsters with Hayabusa or Fireblade engines - incredibly quick.

19. elcornus

elcornus

Not street legal by any means, but both could cover the 100 yard sand drag track in less than 3 1/2 sec., at around 95mph going thru the lights.
    [​IMG]

20. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

I used to have a FIAT spyder 850. Engine in the trunk hooked to the rear wheels. I'm sure this would be the ideal car to try your scheme with. Light and easy access to the motor. Mine was extra light throught the natural weight loss the rust eating it caused... but she did sag in the middle...

21. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Re: Bike engine in a car?

Attached Files:

23. knotheads

knotheads

they also had a reverse gear!

24. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

25. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

26. MetalMike

MetalMike
    BANNED

27. rooman

rooman

This photo has been posted in a couple of other threads here on the HAMB but appears to be relevant here.
    88" Twin Cam B Harley motor, Toyota 5 speed box and Toyota rear end. Street legal in Indiana.

Roo

[​IMG]

28. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

There is a guy in MI that put a harley style motor in a crosley. I think it was hooked up to a 350 or 700r4. I will have to try and find the link to his site.

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

30. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I saw a T with a big Kawalski in it and the guy used a Lenco reverser from a dragster. He bought it at a swap meet for $100.

Rex