Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yesterday was good for the Pontiac.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by injectedA, Feb 3, 2008.

1. injectedA

injectedA

and very good for me!!! man I have been needing this. Driveshaft is in. Fabbed a SS radiator cover/hold down thingy, a quick little battery hold down bracket and then took another two springs out of the rear. I have decided to go with air assist back there and some drop spindles up front because it is just not low enough. We’ll see how it launches first. The wheels just have to go…either spiders and rings or ET III’s.

But more importantly the fuel cell is completed and full!!! It was important to me to be able to use factory access door. Now it needs a support bracket. A tune up and some minor tweaking is in order. Have to blow some holes thru the K member to run the exhaust and yes still run the rear brake lines. Still waiting on them.

Then we got bored and cold so we fired up the heater and the cutoff wheels and the welder and played with the Huffy.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/75T3SbHVaOk"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/75T3SbHVaOk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Attached Files:

2. Nice looking car. I love Pontiacs.

Just a suggestion, run a ground wire to the filler neck if it doesn't touch metal.

Tony

3. injectedA

injectedA

"Just a suggestion, run a ground wire to the filler neck if it doesn't touch metal."

do you mean on the radiator? and why?

4. belair

belair

I think he means the gas tank, to keep static electricity from jumping from the gas nozzel to the filler neck, causing your tin indian to send up it's last smoke signal.

5. slammed

slammed

All Poncho, love the wagon!

6. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Love those wagons...

Why the late model engine color?

7. injectedA

injectedA

ok I am confused and don't want to blow up or burn or die or any of that stuff.

The fuel cell and the fuel cap are aluminum with the sending unit wired and the ground from same to chassis. I used NAPA fuel rated hose, an exhaust elbow, and some pvc fittings to get up to the factory access door. I should still run a ground to the fuel cap housing?

Attached Files:

8. injectedA

injectedA

JD, I hate the Pontiac blue as much as the Ford blue or Chevy orange and have always thought the Pontiac metallic a nice color. Still, the only reason for it being that color is that it was hanging out on the engine stand for a couple of years and had to look good in the garage :) I will be painting it copper like the top half and interior of the car eventually.

9. injectedA

injectedA

can someone help me to not blow up? I don't like getting burnt.

I am going to fab a bracket to hold the gas fill neck solid. Do I need like another ground from the aluminum neck to the body?

10. InjectedA,

I.m not electrical expert, but any peice of that filler neck assembly that is insulated from ground can and will build up static electricity while you drive.

Especially bad is plastic (read PVC). That is why you put a plastic gas can on the ground before filling it at the pump. The PVC is insulated, the exhaust bend is insulated, and so is the cap. I am just suggesting that you wire it them to ground to be safe.

In fact, some factory filler necks have a ground strap even though they are screwed to the body.

Tony

11. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I'd have to agree with El Greco and put the grounds on it. Better safe than sorry and fumes coupled with static electricity and a metal car is just a bad situation waiting to blow up.

12. destructo

destructo

What radiator are you running?

13. injectedA

injectedA

Thanks for the info! I will be putting in a fabricated metal bracket to hold the fuel neck so it's not waving in the wind as well as a ground strap.

The radiator is a standard Griffin, 30x19. IF I keep the car then I will being adding the tri 5 style. We did just find out in a friends car that the life expectancy must be 9 years for these. That's how long he has had the same radiator in a '64 GTO and it's springing leaks. Might be the torque? :)

14. Slate

Slate

PVC and hydrocarbons are not long term friends. The HC (gas) removes plasticizers from the PVC making it evne more brittle. Use something else in it's place.

15. jbradleyd

jbradleyd

wagons kick ass

16. Great car, man.....as for wheels, why not just use the stock wheels? Oh wait! You sent me those wheels and I used 'em on my 55 poncho with '49 caps....

Attached Files:

17. injectedA

injectedA

oh yeah the PVC has to go...but I just HAD to fire this up and get excited about it again. Haven't been by the shop to pick up the tubing.

That car is gross Rocky!!! green yeck!!! you know I'm kidding. The ONLY car to ever have me seriously debating green. Sweet car. I remember that car and now see you with the '34 and hope that there is hope for me :)