Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who is Dropping Parallel Leaf Axles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony Bones, Feb 5, 2008.

1. The axle is for a '51 Studebaker 1/2 ton pickup and I'm looking for two inches of drop.

I was thinking I might get away with having the eyes of the front springs reversed and dearch them for my final goal of a 3-4 inch drop, but the front eye of the spring is already reversed from the factory. I'll have to settle for a re-arch and hopefully get the axle dropped.

Anyone know who is doing it? Thanks.

2. olskool34

olskool34

I just met a guy yesterday with a 31 chevy roadster which is parallel leaf and he had a 2.5 inch dropped axle in it. He said mor-drop did the work. Don't know but it's worth a shot

3. BigChief

BigChief

Detroit-Eaton Spring (and others) builds great custom springs. They have a huge database, they have been around for years and can tailor anything you want. Why screw around with old brittle springs when for not a whole lot more money you can have something thats spot on and much safer?

Call them or call around. ....otherwise, your local spring shop should be able to help you with the old ones.

-Bigchief.

4. tjm73

tjm73

I agree with BigCheif. Try to do the drop with the springs first.

5. I intend to have new springs made, but they'll be a re-arched profile. Not using the old springs. I spoke with the local spring guy and he said all he could get me was 1.5 - 2 inches.

I gave Mor-Drop a call and expected to pay more than you would for a Model A axle...but not that much more. Yikes!

Anyone on the board here, maybe?

6. tjm73

tjm73

What about a tube axle with appropriate spring perches added?

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

ElPolacko on here has an axle dropping service available and you can send him your axle and He'll see that it gets done. He runs Industrial Chassis in Arizona and knows chassis dynamics as well as anyone here. Try PMing him.

Frank

8. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

Try... MAS... they did all four corners on my 38 chev and even through in a 7" drop axle for like $250.00

9. 2muchstuff

2muchstuff
    from Eastern KS

10. Ruiner

Ruiner

What's Sid's name here? It's nice to know who's out there that does this stuff...I might have an axle that needs some work...

11. Kustm52

Kustm52

12. here is industrial chassis number 602-278-6800 they will do a really nice job with it and I think it even comes back sand blasted and ready for paint. Ask for Steve( Elpalacko here on the HAMB)

13. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.