Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buying a title in California?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Feb 6, 2008.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stupid quick question just to make sure...

Is it legal to buy a clear title (a piece of paper with numbers on it) in the state of California??? It would technically be like buying a car that's missing a couple pieces... right???

2. BigRedDude

BigRedDude

I believe it's illegal to buy a "title" in any state without the car, however, you can purchase historical documents on old cars just for the sake of collecting, and then what you do with those document after that is up to you. But california might be different, since you can legally buy Pot there and it's illegal everywhere else. ;)

3. probably no more illegal than buying old property deeds for torn down buildings, or permits for things that are gone, or old stamps....

you're just gonna frame it and hang it on the wall right?

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly! Old documents are neat!

5. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Nothings a crime unless you get caught.... or brag about your crime to you buddies on the internet :)

Like has been said, you obviously cant buy just legal titles. Nice historical documents are ok though :)

-scott noteboom

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Legal to buy, illegal to use.

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is GREAT info. Thanks guys! Didn't know what the law was... Sorry if it was a stupid question. :eek:

8. ocfab

ocfab

F.Y.I. You can buy the little star Vin# stamp on e-bay not that i would ever consider doing that.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what you plan on doing is some sort of fraud inspite of the fact that people register cars using titles that do not belong to the car in question alll the time. California does not fuck around with this any more. if you are driving a car and a cop figures the registration does not belong to it they will impound it.

with all that being said I have a car with the title that has been with it since 1976. the car was last registered in the early 80's. I still have to get a VIN verification and a big load of other crap in order to register it for the street again, so I'm not really sure how some paper that does not belong to this car would do me much good.

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thus the reason my plans have changed! DOH! :eek: I've decided that the money spent on this sort of historical document that would be framed and hung on my wall (uh-hum) would be better put towards other types of wall art such as a Robert Williams print or something. ;):D

11. KATFISH

KATFISH

Call Boyd,

I think he can probably help you with this

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

*snicker*

13. The violation of the law occurs when you stamp a VIN number to a frame and use the title. Only the state has the right to issue a new VIN to be affixed to a motor vehicle.

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since we're on the subject... If a frame is purchased with a title, everything would be legal from that standpoint since a Model A body does NOT have VIN number stamped on it. Correct??

I really don't like this subject anymore.

15. Mopar34

Mopar34

Best solution to this problem may be to simply move to another state. Preferrably a more lenient one.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there are no states where you can legally register a car with a title that originally belonged to another car

17. chopped

chopped

True, but there are states like Ga. where it's possible to tag without going crazy in the process.

18. and from what i understand its much easier to title a car in california if you already have a valid out of state title....

but were talking about collecting historical documents, not titling and registration.

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly!! Who said anything about actually REGISTERING using only a purchased title???? It wasn't ME!!! :cool:

20. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Now that were on the subject.Are the old Pink Slips still a valid title.My 29 came with one and the serial on the pink matches the frame serial.The pink is from 1939.Its a legit pink from this car.I just didnt know if you could still use it.

I would really like to know if I am going to have a real hassle at the DMV.

21. filthy frank

filthy frank

find a broker that does dmv transactions,a little more money,but a lot less headaches,and they check vins before starting paperwork and, you can use those dmv cleared vintage plates. if you go thru dmv,you have to use updated plates.filthy frank.

22. 35mastr, there shouldn't be any problem doing this.
    My pal got a 29 roadster - free if you can believe that - and it had a legitimate title that matched the frame etc.
    No probs at the DMV.
    Helps to take the car in prior to the build or you'll get tagged for what the car is worth after the build.

Scooter, do not use an illegal title on your car.
    They started cracking down on those prior to the Boyd Bust.
    A few guys got hurt bad financially speaking when they wrecked or got them wrecked 32 Fords and the like when their insurance company looked them over determined the car wasn't what it was supposed to be and denied the claim.

Getting back to Boyd, I always wondered why the guys who were having him build cars for them that ended up in the six figure cost area cheaped out and tried to slide one by the DMV.

Far as California goes, try to use a small town DMV.
    They're a lot more easygoing and helpful - although they're not gonna do anything they shouldn't, just that they don't seem to get crazy with their authority.

It helps as well if you choose a DMV in a town with a high immigrant population.
    Lotta times these folks don't have everything they need first time around and the smaller DMV's have and know what forms they need etc.

Don't let the DMV tag you with the out-of-state smog impact fee of $300.
    My local DMV tried to do that and when I balked they checked with Sacramento and found it didn't apply to special construction cars.
    Some of the DMV agents aren't up on all the rules - and there are a lot of them - but they'll be happy to take your money just in case . . . rarely do you get it back.

Along those same lines, the Arizona MVD has been a delight to work with.
    Pretty streamlined, nice folks and if you've got the right paperwork it's quick and not too expensive.

Lots of horror stories out there about registering a special constructon car in Sunny California, but it really isn't too bad.
    Here's how it went for me a few years back and up to a couple years ago, still the same from what I understand.

A trailer is a big help.

Take car to DMV for initial inspection.
    Have copies of all the major receipts, bod, frame, tires, engine etc.
    Don't turn over the original receipts if you can help it.

Next up, California Highway Patrol - you'll need an appointment and usually only one officer does the inspection bit.
    Take your DMV paperwork, he looks over the car and if okay he will affix an ID tag onto the inside of the drivers door in front.
    Most times the officer is looking the car over to make sure it matches the paperwork and not looking for specific or if it works.
    As explained to me, they let the officer in the field take care of missing and defective equipment violations.

Next, the smog referee.
    They'll make sure your engine matches the smog level it's supposed to.
    (If you can swing it, use the earliest engine you can running stock components - cam, intake etc. Simpler smog equipment is on these engines.)
    And in most cases, the smog equipment doesn't hurt anything performance-wise.
    If the smog ref passes the car, he'll stick a small ID tag on the firewall.
    (Just a good quality sticky.)

Back to the DMV and you'll get your tags.

If you were lucky and applied just after January 1, soon as the DMV opens you can get one of 500 "Exempt" tags which means the vehicle doesn't require smog equipment, but it will have to run on the Smog Ref's dyno to set up a baseline.

Most times the Exempt registrations are gone within a few days after Jan 1.

Even though your is registered Special Construction, you can get one of the Exempt regs next year although the car will remain as a 2008 model or whatever.
    I understand as well that it will be registered to its appearance nowadays.
    Looks like a 32 roadster, that's what goes on the title and reg.

Do yourself a favor and get a DMV code book and study up on what's required.
    Helps a lot....

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a straight shooter brotha'! You won't find any illegal title situations on my resume in this life or in any other.

BTW... this is sort of O/T because **uh hum** nobody was implying the use of a purchased title to register a car *uh hum** :cool:... but my car will not be registered as a special construction. It will be registered as a 1931 Model A.

As filthy frank mentioned... I believe this to be the best way to go.

Speaking of vintage plates... what's the scoop on California vintage plates?? I've never run vintage plates on anything. Are you guys trying to find vintage plates to match the year of your car?? I.E.. CA 1931 for your 31 Model A or CA 1951 for your '51 Ford shoebox or are you guys just puting whatever you can find just to run cool plates?? Just curious... I've never paid too much attention to plates until this topic came up...

24. Y.O.M. plates, year of manufacture, is just what it says. I have them on my '36 and it was fairly easy at the Norco, Ca. D.M.V.

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I had a california title with a non op certificate for a model A . I sold it to a guy who had a complete model A and his frame number was in use on another car!! so just cuz you have a legit frame number doen't mean you can use it in every case.

26. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

This isnt a title.It is the actual pink that they used before titles came along.It is the one for this car.Does the DMV still accept this?Will there be any problems getting it on the road with just this?

27. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

Bro you need a car registered? call the shop, I have a guy that can register anything, Alls I need is your info, year and make. guy does it like 2 hrs. Trip he came over, got my info, came back 2 hrs later,, with plates and title. Trip!

28. filthy frank

filthy frank

scooter, there is a guy out at the long beach, ca swapmeet,that sells vintage plates,a little pricey,but they are dmv cleared.but watch out for some other guys making up plates using bogus numbers.you dont have to run period correct plates,i have them because i dont want to run the current ca plates. filthy frank.

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Steve! I'm not quite to the registration stage but I WILL call you on that! OH... and good to see you back around these parts sharing your wealth of knowledge!

Thanks Frank! I will check him out!

30. Use International Title services. Then the title will match the vin on the car. Do a search.