Register now to get rid of these ads!

21" Ford Model A Tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by specializedaggie06, Feb 1, 2008.

1. specializedaggie06

specializedaggie06

First real post to ask if anyone has used 21" Bedford Tires on their model A? How many miles do you typically get out of these tires? Snyders mentions that since they are nylon that you get better wear out of them. Just looking for a comparison since these are $70 and other 21" bias plys are about $110. Tried using the search but didnt come up with anything.

Thanks in advance.

2. 4ever4

4ever4
    from Texas

My experience is you will see about double the wear. The biggest problem with the 19" Bedfords I had on an A was they seemed to feel flat spotted until they warmed up. In cooler weather they didn''t warm up for 10+ miles. Sometimes I was there at my destination in 9 miles. Corky Coker is the manufacturer of the Firestone tire and the last I heard they were made in Vietnam or somewhere. Maybe he will jump in and say where. It's not necessarily a bad thing if they are but I think there is a reason why the Firestones cost more. I like the Firestone tread pattern better too. Does anyone remember those Inca tires with their sucky tread pattern?

3. jetmek

jetmek

most model a's see so little use that the sidewalls dryrot and split before the tread is gone. ive replaced several firestones that had almost new tread and big splits in them...

4. jetmek

jetmek

i wish the old allstate tires were available. those were nice tires

5. specializedaggie06

specializedaggie06

I am planning on using this as a daily driver so I think that I will get to the miles before I get to the dry rot. Plus I live in houston and the humidity is typically high as opposed to west texas where humidity is low. From what I recall (cant remember where) humidity plays a role in the dry rot issue. I expect that these tires will see a minimum of 10k miles a year. Any estimations on mileage before I need to replace? 4ever4, you said that they would flat spot until you got them warmed up. How long did they have to sit before they flat spotted? If you drove it every day would they still have flat spotted? I guess my other alternative is to get some 1935 16" wheels and go radial, but I love the look of the tall and skinnies.

6. jetmek

jetmek

it only takes a mile or two in most cases to get them running smooth....my advice is to try the bedfords...i dont think the firestones are worth the extra $. also the stones tend to be too fat...they wont fit in sidewells without deflating them .ive got the origional fox sparetire strap/lock for my a and it wont fit around the firestone tires.

7. specializedaggie06

specializedaggie06

Thanks for the info jetmek.

8. David Chandler

David Chandler

I've driven nylon tires before. The flat spotting is an issue more in cold weather. In summer here they round themselves out pretty quickly. In winter it's like riding on square wheels when you first get going. Don't expect them to last anywhere near as long as radials. But it's a matter of what you want, and what you are willing to live with.
    Good luck!

9. specializedaggie06

specializedaggie06

Thanks for the replys. Anyone have an WAG on the mileage, 10k, 50k? I guess Ill just buy a set and see how it goes, for $65/tire its not to expensive to give it a shot.