Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration >>>>>>>friday Art Show!!!<<<<<<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Don't expect you to reveal all, but did you sample the rust and patina on the fenders and body or is that a "painting" technique?

2. MotorCityThreads.com

MotorCityThreads.com
    from DeSoto,IA

[​IMG]

My basic racing philosophy

3. CQQLSPENCER

CQQLSPENCER
    from Monroe, IA

Man I love this stuff you guys are cool!
    Here is an Idea I had with collectors cards here a couple I did this morning and also the car I intered in the challenge. Man you guys make this fun!

Attached Files:

4. MotorCityThreads.com

MotorCityThreads.com
    from DeSoto,IA

Cool Idea. I want some

5. glass_VW.jpg

:rolleyes: This is irridized glass

6. The idea to run the pipes across the surface of the deck lid was the genisis if this concept. From there it was what car and why. The Corvair came to mind when Nate posted the recent Art Challenge and thus the two ideas became one. (Sharpen your pencils and join the fun over there; you've got til Sunday to add your vissions.)

Thanks to all for your kind words.

Welcome back Jeff Norwell, You've been missed. You have not dissappointed us. I saw that sedan in R&C and knew we'd finally be hearing from you. Love the 3-slotted Anglia shell, it just plain works!

7. ChopperOlli

ChopperOlli
    from Finland

No brob, rust is c/p from other pictures.

-Olli

8. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic!

9. Wasko

Wasko

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to transfer a sketch to canvas or opaque paper? I spoke with Coop a little bit about a projector, but Im not ready to work in such a large scale just yet. Any help is appreciated!! Travis

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

The faded red and the gray are too much the same contrast, when it gets smaller it'll look like mud in the middle and you won't see any detail.

A good way to check your colors is to convert it to grayscale and see what you get. I like to sometimes work in b/w first then colorize it later.

Nice detailed execution though!

11. Jeff,these 90s B&W illustrations,are great.I really like this one,and if you check my profile pic,you'll know why i'm laughing at "Hells Cherries".:D Keep em coming!

12. MotorCityThreads.com

MotorCityThreads.com
    from DeSoto,IA

thanks and you make a good point, I will try some different colors and try again

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

use a grid system

1 inch =3 inch sorta thing.

14. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Ya know that is actually me in that painting! Can I get a print as well? Or better yet the Original! :D Just kidding!

That is kick ass work uber! :)

15. GaryC.

GaryC.

Messin' around...
    Just messing around with my Bic pen tonight.
    I thought I'd scan it and put it up
    while it's still Friday!

Great show everyone!

Attached Files:

16. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

At the same scale? I've always just rubbed the side of a soft pencil lead over the back of the original then redraw over the sketch lines. It's lighter than carbon but only gives you the basic strokes as a guide to flesh out.

For a slight scale-up, I kwik copy my scetch at a pre-set enlargement and then use the same technique as above.

17. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Dude, even the quickies are Cool! :)

Do you sell your artwork? I would like some of you art on my wall!

18. Wasko, if you are trying to work on a smaller scale you can use transfer paper/carbon paper. You can get it in 8.5"x11" sheets or in rolls that you can cut to whatever size you need it's made by a company named "SARAL". Basically you just lay your line drawing on top of the carbon paper with the carbon side laying on the surface you are transferring to. Then you take a pencil or pen and trace over the image. Your hand pressure determines how dark and thick the line will turn out in your image. It works pretty well for what it is, although sometimes if you move your hand around alot when you draw like I do, you can get some "stray" carbon marks that you will have to erase.

To be honest a projector is by far a better investment. You can still do really small paintings with them and when you're comfortable with those you have the ability to move up in scale. I suggest getting a Prism projector or a Super Prism projector. Those are the best one out there right now. They give you a clear precise line to work from.~I hope all this rambling helps, if you need anymore help just P.M. me and I'll be glad to help~Mojodaddy

19. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

Cool, love the sketch has a lot of life to it

20. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

I second that notion:)
    The Prism rocks!
    Cheers,
    CAB

21. stinsonart

stinsonart

I agree with the projector idea. A grid is lots of work. For small work make your own 'carbon' with a dark chalk/charcoal smeared on the back side of the drawing, or use a light table, which is also easily made. As for a projector, I've had and used a Super AG100 for many years and it works great! Try it...you'll like it. Good luck, Wasko.

22. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

Get a high res shot of it, email or FTP it to me.
    I can print it here, I work in a huge print shop.
    I can deliver it in person for the low, low cost of a beer.

23. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

A projector is a good idea, they are really useful.
    You can also use the old grid method.
    I know a guy that does a lot of mural work.
    He has sheets of paper bluelined with typical
    brick and cinderblock porportions. He draws
    over the grid, then goes to the actual wall and
    can scale it up using the real bricks on the wall.
    Smart huh?

24. WASKO: There are several ways....

1: The old fashioned way is to use transfer paper; a common brand is Saral which comes in several colors such as white, yellow, blue, red etc...you place the transfer paper (with the color side down) between your sketch and the surface you wish to transfer it too, such as board, canvas, metal etc...then you retrace your sketch with a pen/pencil and viola' your sketch is now transferred to your new working surface. Saral is wax-free so there is no issue using water-soluable paints such as watercolor, goache etc. A tip learned the hard way is to do your retrace with a different color pen than you did the orginal sketch...this is so you can easily tell where you have traced, and where you have yet to trace. I usually use a red ballpoint pen for the re-trace. This same technique is also handy for transferring an sketch to sheetmetal for lettering, flaming, striping a car. I also suggest you make a copy of your original artwork in a B&W copier and scale the work up/down as you see fit in the copier, tile it back together if you're working big and if so, add a grid to your copies so you will have an easier time tiling it back together. I've done several pieces this way and in one way this method has a big advantage over a projector is that you can use the transfer paper very easily over a compound surface (trunk lid, mailbox, trash can, bowling pin etc) which a projector cannot do accurately because the projector always projects a flat image, thus it is typically somewhat distorted on a heavy-compound surface. This method is tedious, but time-tested. You can find Saral at your local art store or sometimes crafts stores too.

2: Another way is something we stumbled upon in school using a B&W copier and a blender marker. You have to be using paper, illustration board or fine canvas in order for this to work. It will not work on metal, non-porous surfaces etc...
    Once you have your sketch where you want it, make a mirror image of your sketch in a scanner, copier or by doing your original sketch on tracing paper or vellum and simply flipping it over in the copier....Now you take your sketch, put it in a B&W copier (it HAS to be B&W, color copiers will not work) and make an old-fashioned B&W copy, place your new mirror image of your sketch face down upon the surface you want to transfer it to and then retrace your sketch with a nice new juicy blender marker from your local art store. The marker ink loosens up the toner from the copy just enough to make a faint image upon your receiving surface. Remember to use a grid so you can re-tile it back together if you plan to reduce or enlarge the image.

3: The grid system...Whenever I am asked to do a photo-realistic painting of something I use the grid system. It too is an old-fashioned method but time-tested.

4: Buy a projector...they're great for scaling up images and if someday you work big like Coop does, you pretty much have to go with a projector. A projector can be a real time saver.

I hope that was somewhat helpful-good luck with your work.

25. That's what I was going to say.

26. tomcat46

tomcat46

That's really cool jokem. I love seeing my CAD files come to life! Glad their getting put to a good use.

Here's my rendering of the file jokem started with.

Attached Files:

27. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

A bone gone wild! :D

Attached Files:

28. borntoolate

borntoolate

Last summer's beach art.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. TorchIndustries

TorchIndustries
    from BC, Canada

Maybe I'll try this out... I'm a newb on the board here.

Just finished some drawings for gas jacket back-patches that my cc is doing up. These will be embroidered about 11"x13" on black canvas. All the parts were drawn by hand individually and then scanned in, assembled and 'inked' in Photoshop. Originally had plans for pinstriping designs in the background, and more detail in the engine, but these guys charge by the 1000 stitches, so cost is prohibitive...

Attached Files:

30. MotorCityThreads.com

MotorCityThreads.com
    from DeSoto,IA

Looks killer well done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.