Register now to get rid of these ads!

online tool for real and wanna-be artists

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MikeRose, Jan 31, 2008.

1. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

If you sold "Hot Rod Art" on e-bay to some sucker you would be a Con-artist. Thats close ain't it?

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

The real artist is the one who sat down and wrote that program. It is pretty cool.

3. scarylarry

scarylarry

The guy tries to pass something positive along and you gotta turn it into a fucking debate/piss fest.

4. I hope no one is taking this that seriously.. I think it's great, a fun little program that makes some neato pictures. As far as calling yourself an artist or not.. well we've been debating "what is art" for a while now, I don't think we need to resolve that right here.. just have fun and do what you want to do. :D

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It reminds me of the "paint by numbers" kits that we did in the 50s Our moms would frame them and hang them on the wall but they never called us artists.:D I'm not bad mouthing the style or the artists that do it.

Thanks It might be fun to mess with my pictures.

6. Gigantor

Gigantor

Looking at this from another perspective: As a graphic artist, a program like this is a godsend. Considering that so far it's abilities to create a high quality color vector image seems to far surpass Illustrator CS2s results, I have to wonder: 1) How long will this program be free? 2) How much more theft/unauthorized reproduction will we be seeing now?
    Looks like watermarking might be the safest bet, assuming that whomever is going to rip off someones images doesn't have the skills or the patience to remove those too before vectorizing it. Just another ethical cespit, but DAMN that program is cool. I see a lot of time being saved as far as my job goes AND with better results.
    I just worry that when my supervisors see something like this that it will only reinforce their assumption that graphic designers are just overpaid monkeys hitting keys at a computer.

Stogy likes this.
  7. KomptonKid

KomptonKid

Amen to that.

8. Kool Kat

Kool Kat

So sayeth the shepherd......so sayeth the flock!

9. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

If you can paint a car you are an artist, if you can shape metal into something you are an artist, If you can use your own pics and create something with this program or others that someone else wants to buy then you are an artist. It doesn't matter how you do it as long as you do it. I don't see many people still using the old painting techniques without modern technology helping a little (paint booths, hvlp guns, uerethane paints, etc.) and the same with metal shaping (powered brakes, plannishing hammers, etc) you have to start somewhere and if it will help get the job done then use it! Just my two cents.

10. senior fried

senior fried

Hey Kool Kat , very Nice !

11. You cannot stop progress. Many sign painters spent a lifetime perfecting a craft, then computerized vinyl cutters machines allowed anyone who could type to be "graphic artists". Machinists, die makers, many replaced by CNC machines.
    The world is changing fast.

12. kopis

kopis

True that! On both occasions.

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Please No more, Filters are death of design. Next we will be talking about Lens Flares. Just kidding.

14. twofosho

twofosho

I did this with an old snapshot by accident while scanning it into Iphoto. I thought at the time if you took photos of parts/components you were thinking of using and could use something like this to keep refining it down to the point it resembled a line drawing, with the addition of a few key measurements, this might be a good way to save time placing or rejecting those components into the chassis/body drawings when planning/designing that next project.
    Sounds like a great time saver, especially when you can't find accurate and/or detailed drawings. Translating the resulting file into something readable by the CAD program your're using could be a problem (print it out and rescan it maybe?), but you could always fall back on the old drawing board, T square, and triangle.
    I'm thinking anything I can use as a tool to save time and/or increase my accuracy in the planning stage is bound to save time and money when I'm at the aquiring hardware and building stages.
    Just a thought.