Register now to get rid of these ads!

392 Hemi with Bonneville History, whats do you think its worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motor mikey, Jan 30, 2008.

1. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

I happened to stumble across a 392 hemi that was raced at Bonneville probably 20-30 years ago, maybe even before that. It has been totally rebuilt and sitting for the last 10+. Everything is brand new and includes Arias pistons, forged crank, Mickey Thompson rods, brand new heads, Crower Cam, Hilborn Injection, Lenco Airshift trans, The list goes on and on. So what do you guys think something like this could be worth? I really want to buy this thing not only to have but to maybe save a piece of history. Let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

2. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

Rest of pics

Attached Files:

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I don't know but it sure would look good in an F.E.D. I mean 392's are going to be worth what ever you get it for. It's the iconic late fifty's / Early Sixty's hot rod engine. And butt that up to a piece of history and you can't go wrong. Oh and by the way I was admiring your car in an older issue of R & K. It's simply beautiful brother.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's cool!!

Three easy payments of $19.95?

That would bring some pretty good money, I suspect. Is it an auction deal or a guy just selling and said "make an offer"?

5. jj mack

jj mack

Not worth much, but please tell me exactly where you found it and ill go check it out for you.:cool:

Good luck!!! and keep us informed.

6. silent rick

silent rick

i don't know, i'm guessing 15-20 g's

7. R Pope

R Pope

That thing's worth a young fortune without the B'ville history. I recently sold a basket case with no crank for 1500 bucks.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

uh-oh... W-I-W threads seem to upset some people. there was a post the other day. one guy even said it dilutes the boards.

I don't care... I like em.

is that really worth 15 -20 G's??? wow. I was thinking like 5 G's.. but what do I know.

9. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

A grand for every year it's been sitting...

If you get it for less, you've done good.

10. 4tford

4tford

The injection alone would be 5 grand, but price is what it is worth to you. Make an offer you can live with after all it is your money.

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you started with a wallet full of cash and nothing else, $20,000 would not duplicate what you've described.:eek:

Frank

12. lolife

lolife

The Bonneville history isn't worth any money, but you could build an engine just like that one for about $15k. So, I'd probably give em $10k because you have to tear it all down and re-do it to make sure it is OK to run. Just my opinion.

Pull the heads and pan before you give them any money. Don't be the next sucker.

13. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

Jeffery, thanks for the complement.

I know that these WIW posts can be a pain in the ass. But I value alot of opinions on this board. Actually this is a private sale, just an older guy that has it sitting in his garage. I had a chance to talk to him and found out the story. He had purchased this engine from an old racecar, I believe it was a 53 Dodge. Well the guy he bought it from blew it and had it totally rebuilt. So now the guy I'm talking to bought it, planning on racing at Bonneville, but it never happened, so thats where we are at now. Basically a brand new engine that has never been fired since the rebuild.

14. Jim Beam

Jim Beam
    from St. George

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

ditto.

16. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

I just spoke with the owner again and found out some more info. According to him, the front drive parts are all Donovan as well as the fuel pump, rocker arms and gear drive. Also the block is O ringed for the head gaskets. Sounds too good to be true but I have plans to meet with him tonight.

17. Plowboy

Plowboy

I know I have every bit of 15 grand in mine........

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh just take out a second mortgage on the house and get it already before it's gone!!!!!!

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No way that injection system is worth $5 Million.....:eek:

20. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

As mentioned, without the Bonneville car to go along with it and make it something actually special with a real story to tell, I don't think that alone adds any value in my opinion. It could have also been a total embarrassing Bonneville failure of some sort. Basically, it is worth the sum of the parts which are all easy to figure out and come by - but old used parts, not new or rebuilt and guaranteed. Just price it out the major parts and see what you come up with and deduct for unknown condition. Keep in mind, it will need a complete and thorough rebuild and old suspect parts that will need work aren't the same as getting all new ones. The block, crank, heads and injection system are the most critical and expensive parts obviously. If you have a bad block or crank, then obviously could serious effect your $. I would find it more valuable dissembled and the block and crank all checked out and confirmed to be free of major defects. Otherwise, it is a bit of a gamble. Probably sat around for a good reason and I wouldn't risk a pile of cash anyone word for it.

Also, consider that if it was built for Bonneville, it may have been machined and built for max. performance for a short life to achieve that one goal. Which may have made it not that great for use in a hot rod or kustom where you will want more reliability. It could be bored out to the extreme, sleeved to the max. all kinds of stuff that is great for what it was built for, but not great for what you might want it for.

hipster likes this.
  21. jonny o

jonny o

DON'T FORGET THE TRANS!

Any Lenco 3 speed with Hurst shifters is worth 3k. A Nice cs1 with air, bellhousing and a bad ass input shaft can go up to 12k if it's in good shape... just depends on what he has there.

Know how many gears, what model or what kind of shape it's in? Bellhousing? Input shaft? Blanket?

Just don't forget it int he cost analysis... A bad ass trans thrown in for "free" if you pay his cost for the motor might work in your favor.

22. Burgy

Burgy

can't forget the obligatory.
    A Lot more if it was in My Garage!, Hot Rod!, Sewing Machine!, you get the picture.

:D

23. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

All I know about the trans is that it is a 1 speed airshift. He said he has the clutch, pressure plate and the rest of the parts to bolt it up.

24. jonny o

jonny o

That's definitely not going in a street car. Unfortunatly, the demand for 3-4-5-6 speeds are ALWAYS high for big drag cars, but I have no idea what you could sell the trans for.

The best bet, in my mind, would be to add more gears to it (lencos just attach together like Legos to add gears) and floor shift it. That's one bad ass hot rod setup! Definitely over the top, but imagine those handles popping through the floor!

Can also add a lencodrive system if you wanted a converter.

25. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

He said that there was another lenco that went in the package, and said that you could put the two together and have a 2 speed. I didn't really understand what he meant. Now I understand. He meant that you could just put them together. Cool

26. fatabone

fatabone

Get off the computer and get over here!

27. jonny o

jonny o

Here is a random shot from the interweb.
    You can see the separation between each unit. Each provides one gear change, so this is a 4 speed with a reverser (the little stubby one on the far left)
    Imagine yanking those levers while merging onto the highway in a street car!
    [​IMG]

28. Spike!

Spike!

Keep us informed Mikey. You're my new hero...

Spike

29. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

drop in another set of pistons and a milder cam and hit the road!!!.and yes i thinjk $20,000 is on the money .If your going to run it on the salt,be prepared for another 20K to freshen it up,but that's racing folks...:cool:

30. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

Well it doesn't matter now, cause its mine!!!!!!! Turns out that this guy was on the money about what was in the engine plus tons of spare parts. Also included is the Lencos and 2 or 3 bellhousings. Oh yea and a brand new Mallory dual point. Cant wait to put this in the shop to admire it. Now I got to figure out what I'm building to put it in.

hipster likes this.