Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Farts Thread!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodPaint.com, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FEDER

FEDER

Im 57 retired last summer. First car was a 49 Merc with a 324 Olds. That was in 64. My Brother drug it home for My 14th Bday. Motor blown,everything in boxes. Have had many cool cars and Harleys over the years. Now I have a chopped 49 Merc - chopped 51 Ford - a high 9 sec 68 Dart and a 66 Ford LTD 4 dr hardtop factory 4spd.
    Im so thankful for the real quality time these cars have have givin Me over the years with My Son and friends. Another good thing about age is now You know who Your really best friends are. THESE ARE THE GOOD OLD DAY'S FEDER

2. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

I will be 51 next Wed. Favorite cars were my first a 58 Impala 6 three on the tree. Swapped that for a 425hp 396 from an 65 vette. Second was a 63 Nova ss again 6 three sp. Built a 301 sbc with a muncie. started working on cars young my dad worked for a ford dealership and did lots of side jobs at home. Have a pic of me setting on a chevy 6, at less than a year old, with him working on it. Car now is a 57 Bel Air two door post. supposed to be rare with a 468 bbc.

3. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

50 this fall and working on first 2 rods
    27 T and 28 A

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

:cool: Here's a photo from 1965 of Steve Reep[seated]and I,just after getting his T-Bird 292 y-block running in his A again,some speed shop hu?,
    I had a 28 A with same type eng that is parked behind it,I built in 59 but never got running tell 61.
    I'm 65 now.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Photo didn't load first time ,so here;:confused::cool:

Attached Files:

6. clemdaddy

clemdaddy

damn, somebody needs to build a collector. there's enough methane produced by the dudes in this thread to power us all...

7. eltiberius

eltiberius

Timely thread for me. I turned 55 on the 13th of this month..and I retire to my garage on the 31st! Had the same Caddy since 81. Had a 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery that I miss....maybe that 63 Polara too...mostly a bike guy, but cars have been part of my life growing up in LA in the 60's, and so I'm infected for life...however long that may be!
    Gotta get to my shop and finish the triangulated four-link on the Cad...day after tomorrow!

8. von Dyck

von Dyck

You are old enough when you remember watching "Kookie" wheeling the Grabowski roadster around on "77 Sunset Strip". Just had to have one. Completed in 2004, It's a blast every time I hit the streets with it. It is not a clone, but close enough to fool a lot of people. (Olds powered, not Caddy)

9. Mopar34

Mopar34

I'm 61 and been doing this for 45 years. First one was a 56 Crown Vic when I was 16. Coral and white, 292 V8. Easy on gas, hard on oil. Many days and nights of fun.

10. Just about perfect to my eye. Your design ability shows through. Good that you still are planning to continue building.
    I will be 67 this year and still enjoy following automotive design, F1, and most of what is available here.

11. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

pushing 70 and still a rodder. dont kno when it started but i remmber riding our bikes to the Armory in L.A.to the hot rod show. learned to drive in '49. first car was a '30 A coupe. first rod was a '31 A 2dr,installed a '56 sbc in '56, and several A,s an dueces etc.

12. hi i am working on 52 i know those old farts hemi1929 and rustyford40 and they are old farts we are in the same club which means i must be an old fart too it must be catchy

13. Flattop

Flattop

Hit the double nickles back in December! Still love the smell of smoking tires and nitro! My first ride was a '56 Caddy hearse, but one of my favorite rides to build was my younger brother's (he's also over 50) '27 roadster. Dad was a paint and body man for years and it kinda gets in the blood just a little. Here are a couple of shots near completion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flattop

14. badlefihand

badlefihand

Wish I was an old fart of 50 to 60. Trouble is Im pushing 68 .Doing my last build .47 super deluxe coupe W/389 ,all the good stuff plus 10 bolt,3 inch leaves. mustang II front,muncie.Ought to move fair. I dont send anything out except machine work.

15. Alfster

Alfster

58 and happy to be an old fart...............

Run '56 F100 with a 289/C4 (soon to be supercharged) and a 270 GMC T

Attached Files:

16. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

I'm so old i can't seam to remember what cars I built........BTW, what was that question again.:confused:

17. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

Couldn't remember if I'd posted here yet, actually had to search the thread.I have already but here goes again.
    My current driver Ford in a Ford.

[​IMG]

18. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Man....it smells like old......farts in here!;) At 53 I guess I'm in this club and proud of it. My son is working on scanning some old pictures of my past cars but, back then we didn't have cameras everywhere. No one had cell phones with pics, etc. So, pictures are hard to find. At fourteen I had a 57 Ford 2 dr sedan, then 56 Chevy with 283 and 3 speed (purple metalflake paint) and then at 16 I bought my Grandpa's 55 Chevy 2 dr sedan for $150 bucks in perfect showroom condition. I blew up the I6 it had in it on the way home. Grandpa didn't drive over 30 mph so when I got on the hiway at 70 she couldn't take it. That lead to the BBC with 400th, Camaro buckets with GTO Hurst dual gate shifter with console. I loved that car and waxed many a new muscle cars ass back in 69-72 up in Kansas. OK next!

19. roadsterpu31

roadsterpu31

I am 54 and honestly cannot remember a time that I was not fasinated by cool cars... especially early hotrods. My favorite ride is my current AV8 31 Ford roadsterpickup primarily because I finally got enough experience and patience (also money) to build a hotrod like I want. BTW hope that I can build a few more before passing the torch to my grandson.......

20. Im way past 50 and i know that i am an old fart because my wife who is a lot younger tham me tells me. Its always old goat old geezer ect ect. I grew up on the farm and i hot rodded everything i even ground down the counterweights on my dads H farmall governer so it would turn more rpm slung out the rod bearings.Everyone said that i could tear up a steel ball with a rubber band:D. A while back my wife came into the shop as i was putting the finishing touches on a radical small block chev with two 4s. She asked whats it for my reply the 55 chev. Whats the matter with the engine thats in it she asked? I replied that it wouldnt pull the front wheels as high as i wanted. She laughed and replied thats what i like about you OLD GOAT you still have a helluva lot of kid in you yet. You aint nevre gonna grow up:D OldWolf

21. FTF

FTF

58, I'm not sure how I got to live this long. Still miss my 29 Ford Roadster.

22. Some groups that you don't want join. that old "if I Knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself" isn't so funny. Now I have to start a "Bucket list? " been a gearhead from the get-go April 1942, never had time get old, I have to many Irons in the fire. and 4 Great Grand Kid's, it's pretty cool spoiling the Grand kid's, kid's! c-ya .....Jim

23. drofdar

drofdar
    from Fresno Ca

56. Loved cars since I can remember. Started with 56 Ford and a 41 Ford in High School. Used to spend Saturday nights at Lions! Later, got into VW powered Baja stuff, and 4W/dr trucks. Now I'm back at home with the rods. I have a three car garage... so it has a 55 Chevy gasser project I hope to test and tune this year down at Famoso. Also have a 56 Chevy to put together, and scored a project 57 2dr hardtop belair to do when I retire. My wife and I both park in the driveway!

Attached Files:

24. hupster

hupster
    from california

I'm 62. Bought a '53 Ford coupe for $100 (money from delivering the Sacramento Bee newspaper) when I was 15 and worked on it for 6 months untill I got my drivers license at 16. My current favorite car is my '35 Hupmobile which I finished last year (9th car I've built in my second childhood of the last 30+ years), but maybe a new favorite will be the '51 Ford woodie I'm working on now. Seems to work that way for me.

Attached Files:

25. bumpybigblok

bumpybigblok
    from Midwest

58 on the clock, still 16 in the head. 1rst car, 31A, 2nd, 57 2dr. Then trouble. I got an ex-patrol car.62 Biscayne, 327 stick.went thru 3
    engines, each one hotter,13 trannys,20+ rear punkins? including two
    hsg changes, and a few clutches. Many, many back tires. I lost my license in this car 12 times for Reckless driving/racing. I was married
    with kids and legal to drink before I was legal to drive. My 1rst finished? Rod was the T ,283 4spd 57chev. rear,40 ford split W/bone
    front. Current projects include-37chev.2dr sdn-56 chev.BB 5spd. on
    AME chassis-68 Camaro BB 6spd. Custom-69 CobraJet Stang-40 Ford cpe. and too many more. I'll die trying to get it all done. Like
    wipeing your ASS on a wheel, there's no end to it. But I still love it.
    My wife has the Job, I've got a good paying Hobby. Jimmy's T (Large).jpg

26. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I'm guessing there aren't alot of friends with that attitude of yours... :)

Lots of knowledge and experience. I'm honore to be a part of this community

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I'm almost 60 1/2

My first car at 14 cost two bowling shirts.

Spent most of my life building racing anything that would get outta the pits under it's own power.

When not racing I was chasing and finding old race cars. Lottsa em!

Been all over the world mechanicin' and driving old cars. :)

Thursday the reset button got pushed..... I have two working hands again!

So maybe I shouldn't be posting on this thread..... nope I know too many guys that piss sitting down...... I must be an old fart

28. primed34

primed34

Count me in at nearly 55. Got my '55 Chevy 2 door post in 1970 with 327 and four speed. Started going to rod runs in 1971. Been doing most of my hot rodding in a '34 Chevy coupe since '82. I'm still working so I won't be hanging with ol' poncho.

29. Frist State Hillbilly

Frist State Hillbilly
    from dover de.

67 and proud of it. 71 Olds cutlass convt driver and 57 post belair needs redone. hope to start in spring. good solid starter bought in wv about 5 years ago. In 1959 bought a 37 ford coupe when I was station in Lubock Texas for 50 bucks and put in a 48 merc motor. Also hade a 57 convertable but had to sell needed money for family. Been retired 9 years from telephone co. Never been bored a day of it and hope to live many more and collect the pension and social secutity tilll it runs out. I always worked to retire and planned ahead.

30. himmelberg

himmelberg

Dad is gonna be 90 in July. He says he's starting to feel old. I'll be 62 this summer and I feel the same as always. Maybe when I'm closer to Dad's age I'll be an old fart. Summer of 63 in Vermont I started fooling with cars.

youthfully, himmelberg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.