Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drove the Orphan A for the first time today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MoparBruce, Jan 30, 2008.

1. MoparBruce

MoparBruce

I hesitate to post this project here. It is not a traditional Hot Rod in the truest sense, but I do post, because I believe it has been done in the truest tradition of Hot Rod building. I really just wanted to tell other car guys how excited I am about this car before I let her go.

This started as an abandoned body last summer. (first pic) Found a chassis and mated them. Been spending a lot of time since then making the carcass into a car. Ford guys should be happy. All steel 28 Sedan Chopped a bunch out of the roof. Window openings are 9 ½ inches. Big Block Ford, C-6 and a Ford rear end. Steering column is 48 Ford truck, turn signal switch - bolt on early Ford. The gauges are from a Falcon, the headlight and ignition switches are from a Thunderbird. The Model T grille surround is even original steel. Aside from the roof panel off a Jeep and the front seat being out of a Caravan, it’s all Ford. I made due with what I could find in the local bone yards and made everything else I couldn't. I even made a set of rear window fillers that fit in the window tracks and screw in for that sedan delivery look.

For us tall guys, I engineered the floor down 3 inches and the seat so that it is fully adjustable and moves up as the seat moves forward to allow the driver to still be centered in the windshield. My wife is 5’1” and she can comfortably drive it. A good friend of mine is 6’6” and he is comfortable inside the car, plenty of leg and head room with the seat all the way back.

When I got this, I wasn’t sure just how this might turn out, but after driving it today, I just had to share. It was exciting to save another one.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Attached Files:

2. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

Kool man!

What are your further plans?

3. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

sweet ride, diggin the expanded metal gas pedal.