Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pics of my new ride...49 Chrysler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CWebster, Nov 20, 2007.

1. 41 C28

41 C28

Cool ride! Have checked out the P15-D24 site forum?
    I love old Mopars.

2. kraka138

kraka138

man you need to put a visor on that bitch

3. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Got any pics of your windsor with a visor? We could compare then as I cant visualize one on his car.

4. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Yeah, not working. Work computers suck. LOL

5. kraka138

kraka138

6. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

i have a 52 Windors Saratoga bad ass car i love it for being a four door its got the 331 and fluid drive in it but the 331 is my buddys . i was wondering how that fluid drive worked. idk what im gonna do for a motor i have a flat head 6 does anyone knw if it will bolt up and work? idk what im gonna do to it i thought about chopping it but the rear window gets me its a 3 piece and the way it flows is differnt that anything i have seen. so i may just drop it and drive it..hell you can get all the parts to rebuilt the brakes and stuff from Oriellys so i mean its all out there i thought about stubing it with a volare i have but idk

Attached Files:

7. kraka138

kraka138

acutally we chopped my roof and i was able to find the single piece rear window out of a dodge.....it lays dow real nice....but i just relized you have that wrap around glass.....youre definatly going to have to change that window getiing that cut will be a nightmare

8. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

yeah i kinda figure it would be a pain...idk what to try for rear window..im stressing enough about getting the glass done in my 50 fleetline is chopped and its just the front glass that need cut

9. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Couldnt you just recess the back glass down into the body?

10. CWebster

CWebster
    from Byron, MI

Thanks for the compliments. I talked to Fatman about the dropped spindles, but I'll have do something in addition to that to get it low like the photoshop. I will definitely be doing the shock relocation http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215548
    I think a visor would look good also. I also think eliminating the vent windows would go a long way in cleaning up the profile.

11. kraka138

kraka138

you could but that wrap around glass never looks right

12. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

Thanks for the complements on my lowly 'ol Plymouth...

I think the your Chrysler is great. Looks like it's in nice shape too. Love the tail lights...

Is your flathead a long block? Probably a 251?

The speed stuff is available for the long block motors too, but might be a bit harder to find.

Pete

13. CWebster

CWebster
    from Byron, MI

Correct, it is the 251. The 251 stuff does seem to be a bit more scarce. I've been diligently searching for a split intake and/ or exhaust to purchase, but have yet to have any luck. I've thought about fab'ing my own, but I don't have the time yet to commit to it.

14. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

You might give Tom Langdon a call, Langdon's Stovebolt Six. I think he is making the cast iron "fenton" style exhaust manifolds for the long blocks as well as the short blocks, but you'd have to confirm that with Tom. Also, the Offenhauser intake is still available new from Tom and other sellers like Summit.

Earl Edgerton is making finned high compression heads like mine for the long block too, but they are expensive... close to $700 I think. But, in my opinion, cheaper than a vintage head that will need work and may already be milled beyond use.

Pete

15. jims50chrysler

jims50chrysler

Nice car looks like you have your work cut out for you.
    I have a 50 Chrysler Windsor club coupe with the 251 and have just finished lowering it and relocating the shocks as described in that thread here on the HAMB. I cut a coil on the front and made 3" lowering blocks for the back. The car is trapped in the garage untill spring so it is a little hard to get an overview of the side profile but it appears to be pretty close to level and of coarse I don't know how it drives but I was not able to get the suspension to hit the snubbers by bouncing up and down on the bumpers...kinda scientific don't ya think?
    I think if you want it as low as the photoshop pic you will have to go with air bags.

Hope you will have as much fun with yours as I am having with mine.
    Jim

16. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

i like it man!!!!looka like its new!

17. CWebster

CWebster
    from Byron, MI

I checked summit, but it seems like they only list intakes for the short block. I will give Tom a call and see what he's got....I can't beleive he's so close.

18. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

1 full coil + 4 inches of blocks in the rear on L78 X 15'S
    This is what it will look like:
    004.JPG

19. CWebster

CWebster
    from Byron, MI

Looks real good, hows the ride and handling ?

Chris

20. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

Like it should be with this modification, a little stiff, but ridable.
    I,m looking into the shock relocation mod listed here.

21. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has a lot of potential. I would Lower it and cruize it!!!
    Good luck with the project.

Sorry I had to do some kutt'n
    Lowered, Chopped, sectioned, stretched front doors and some other stuff.

Happy Trails,

Mick

Attached Files:

22. jims50chrysler

jims50chrysler

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=EC_header bgColor=#e0e0e0 colSpan=2>
    Below is a copy of an email that I have sent to Summit Racing as well as there response for those of you who are intrested.
    JIm

Discussion Thread
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=EC_text bgColor=#c6d3ba> Response (Boyd)</TD><TD class=EC_text align=right bgColor=#c6d3ba>01/29/2008 09:35 AM</TD></TR><TR><TD class=EC_text colSpan=2>Hello.

Unfortunately I do not have an exhaust listing for vehicles with the engine you have indicated. Also, my intake manifold coverage from Offy shows two 1bbl intakes covering 1950 in Dodge and Plymouth engines. No indication of Chrysler engines or compatibility between the two.

If I can be of further assistance let me know.

Thanks for your interest in Summit Racing,
    Boyd</TD></TR><TR><TD class=EC_text bgColor=#a0c4de> Customer</TD><TD class=EC_text align=right bgColor=#a0c4de>01/27/2008 09:42 AM</TD></TR><TR><TD class=EC_text colSpan=2>Hi:
    I have a 1950 Chrysler Windsor with the flathead 251 6 cylinder.
    I thought at one time I saw on your website a set of headers that would fit on this car....am I mistaken? I am also looking for an intake manifold that would allow me to run 2 single barrel carbs, can you help?
    Thanks
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

23. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

are u fukn kidding me!
    probably some ProStreet dude!

24. sololobo

sololobo

Very impressive original car. This is surely a little rare edition, I love the tu-tone. I get excited seeing it all original with some moderate lowering to retain ride quality. Split manifold makes for a fab. sound that is fun to listen to while you drive and grin. Installing speed type equip. looks great but doesn't do much for the performance and can be problematic. Spend some dough on chassis brakes etc. to make it a reliable drive. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it. Great car, so much gorgeous trim!! Enjoy, Bro. Also Mopar sick-Sololobo

25. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

hey, SOLOLOBO, what do you recommend running after the splits as far as mufflers for that sound? I,m splitting mine right now.

26. CWebster

CWebster
    from Byron, MI

Update.....

Got the necessary lights functioning, new wheel cylinders all the way around, rebuilt the master cylinder, fixed the parking brake, and put on new whitewalls. I've put about 1200 miles on it in the last 4 weeks. Been using it for a daily when the weathers clear... really gets a lot of attention. I will say that the best "medicine" for this old ride has been driving it. Seems like the more I drive it, the better it runs. I am fighting a couple of issues, though. The fluid drive is a real finicky piece of equipment. Sometimes it works great, other times it rattles sumthin fierce getting into gear. The other major problem is vapor lock (I think that is what it is). Once she gets warm, I can't shut it off and start it right back up. I either have to let it cool down or give it a shot of starting fluid to get it going again. I'm contemplating a long trip in a week or two (700 miles), but once I get back I'm gonna get the nose outta the air and work on the stance. I would also like to find an alternative to the current trans. I'd lilke something as period correct as possible, but I need a manual and overdrive. I'd like to use it more, but 55 won't cut it for some of the places I need to go. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

27. Just playing around...

[​IMG]

28. CWebster

CWebster
    from Byron, MI

I like that alot....wish I had the skills and funds to pull that off.

29. diamond dave

diamond dave

you should be able to get the three speed manual tranny to bolt to the six cylinder. I still have the fluid drive behind the straight eight in mine, and it runs pretty well.
    it's funny that you mentioned you could only go 55. my first new yorker didn't like the highway at all either, but my latest one goes 60-65 all day long with no problem. it even likes the occasional 70mph. but I don't like to push it.
    with the open drive line, you could swap out the rear end for something a little less tall. I heard rumors of the rear end that you seem to have in your car being called an "appalachian gear" due to the tallness. something like a 403.
    but mine is in the 350s and runs alot better.
    good luck, here's a picture of mine.
    d.d.t.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  30. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

[​IMG]
    Mr. C would be jealous

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014