Register now to get rid of these ads!

v8 flathead identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davesville, Apr 21, 2007.

1. davesville

davesville

just purchased a 1954 ford f600 truck motor and 4 speed gearbox cannot find engine number where do i look .also what rear end (if any ) will work with this box or is this transmission not suitable for a model a or passenger car use thanks dave

2. jetmek

jetmek

53 was last year for flatheads ck the heads for letters/numbers. big trucks usually had 337 lincolns. should have 8el on the heads. 239 ford trucks had 8rt on the heads. the 4 speed isnt very good for cars use

3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Go to www.vanpeltsales.com and then click on the flathead V8 page. It tells you how to identify your engine. Best one I've seen.

4. mtflat

mtflat

IF Australia got the same lineup Canada produced for themselves you have a late series flathead, 239 8RT/8BA. F6/600 should still have the small flatty. 24 bolts per head is your ID.

337 was used in F7/8 only and were gone in 52. 317/279 OHV from 52 on in the F7/8's trucks

There's an outside chance the 4 spd is synchro'd. Spur gears aren't fun in a car. F6 normally came with 4 spur gears but synchro/silent 4spd was an option. Pop the top and look for bevel gears and brass synchro rings.

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Flattys were used in some trucks & some Canadian stuff in '54...if original, it's probably a standard 8RT (or similar)

Pics of the heads will help.

6. davesville

davesville

thanks for the info guys .will post a pic soon

7. OLDERSCHOOL101

OLDERSCHOOL101

just picked up a FORD flathead v8 , was wandering what year it is , on the head is the # G 311 any info would be a big help

8. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Contrary to some peoples beliefs, '53 was not the last year for flatheads. Maybe in 'murica but not the rest of the free world.
    Canada and most of the United Kingdom had flatheads in '54.
    And then there's the French flathead. But maybe you haven't heard of that one.
    Anyway, I have taken apart a lot of big truck Ford flatheads and found them to have 4" cranks.
    Maybe this one will have one.

9. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

We can add Australia, to the list too.
    (was it part of the United Kingdom still?)
    Although Ernie said the 1954 flathead was available in "most, cars and trucks" in Canada; the new series of engines didn't really take off until 1955.
    You COULD special order an EARLY 1955 Ford car with a flat head also.
    (there was a lot of Ford owners who were of the opinion, "If it ain't broke; WHY fix it??)

10. davesville

davesville

finally got up to the farm to take some pics.still havnt found any engine numbers maybe looking in the wrong places .could this motor have a 4 inch crank .can you tell externally.also trying to figure out what is attached to the side of the gearbox(thinking maybe air brake compressor) thanks dave

Attached Files:

11. mungo

mungo
    from Australia

Was the truck a tipper,it looks like an old hydraulic pump on the pto

12. davesville

davesville

mungo. the motor came with a 54 f100 my brother purchased. it was in the pickup bed and part of the deal. he was told it was out of an f600 truck and was a good runner that is all the history i have

13. mercjoe

mercjoe

14. mercjoe

mercjoe

Did trucks from those years come with 4 speeds from factory ?

15. davesville

davesville

yes its an 8rt canadian .i was originally told it was an 8ba i must admit the casting numbers on the intake confused me a little.so do i treat this truck motor the same as a passenger car motor or is there some small differences that will come back and bite me and getting back to my original question are the engine numbers in the same place in the canadian blocks as they are in the u.s blocks.vanpelt sales (great site ) also hot rod deluxe spring edition has lots of info.any tricks or info would help as i want to fit this into my a model van