Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hal Olen~Racer-Hot Rodder~Vintage Photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruzr, Jan 19, 2008.

1. cruzr

cruzr

Yes he was from Chicago area

2. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Very cool. Thanks for posting.

3. Burny

Burny

Thanks for sharing Randy. You're doing s great thing by Hal . Keep us posted and let me know if you need a hand.

4. BAKERSFIELD

BAKERSFIELD

Nothing like cool hot rod history!
    Thanks!!!!

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah Randy! Thanks for posting this! Was a great story over breakfast. Couldn't wait to see the pics!

Hero for sure!

6. Terry

Terry

The picture of him in his chair makes me smile, and breaks my heart at the same time.

I say you deserve a big pat on the back cruzr.

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Proof suicide mounted front ends are traditional!
    [​IMG]

8. cruzr

cruzr

yea Scooter, i think he said the car was built around 1949,his memory has faded though ,but judging from the pics i believe that to be correct.

9. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

I have bought an old modified that has been in a garage since 1946, but the car was never finish. If I knew how to post pics I would.
    later RC

10. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you're a good man cruzr , my hat is off to you

11. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

You are a good man.

Growing old is bitch anyway so reliving the glories of the past with someone who is truely interested is a blessing.

Please tell Hal we are all pulling for him!

12. Learner

Learner
    from Id

Cool read for my lunch break. What you are doing for your friend is good stuff, we all can take a little something from this story. We all should help a friend to Ride on....

13. Great memories and your efforts are appreciated by him and by us. This is why I go back to Mi even in the winter, to spend some time with my aunt and uncle who are also in thier eighties.
    This also shows some of the younger ones here what an alley looked like. Don't see those much any more.
    My prayers are with Hal and I hope he gets his ride.

14. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Awesome thread. We are losing more and more of the 'greatest generation' everyday. We will probably always have books/internet around to tell us younger folks 'how it was'. But there is nothing like a first hand account from great individuals like Hal to really give you a sense of the time and place.

Please give any updates of Hal or the ride if it happens.

15. mcload

mcload

Enjoyed that...you're a good man (I don't care what they say about you!)
    I just hope some "kid" has the forethought to do that for us someday.
    Thanks for sharing.

Patrick

16. Kettleman

Kettleman

I would also like to say thanks to both of you. The story brought both a smile a tear to my eye. He looks a lot like my grandfather did. I lost both my dad and grandfather a couple of years ago and cherish the memories we got to share.

I hope he gets to go for the ride and his smile gets even bigger.

17. cruzr

cruzr

someone said it in this thread..........

Pay it forward !

Hal will get his "ride" come hell or highwater !~!

I will post pics when it happens...........

18. I just lost a friend who, as a last request, asked me to never forget him. I will never forget people who have influenced my life. And now, Hal has too. Thanks Hal.

19. sixinarow

sixinarow
    from Fargo, ND

20. autobilly

autobilly

All the best to Hal. Let him know that the "young" guys still think he's Kool.

21. kyhotrod

kyhotrod
    from Kentucky

Yeah, talking about old times is bound to take his mind off his aches n pains and seeing your ride was bound to be iceing on the cake. Great story.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank Hal for all of us an let him know that we really appreciate being able to see his photos.

23. cruzr

cruzr

Hal doesnt have a computer{he is old school all the way} but i will pass on all the well wishes and comments.........

it will make his day

24. ditz

ditz

Hey Cruzer......I am originally from east central IN and lived about 15 miles from "Little 500" track, Sun Valley. I bet your neighbor remembers a fellow racer Red Amick. He is related to my wife and I think he passed a few years ago with cancer while living in Fla. where he retired after building and running a large truck stop on I-69 just north west of Muncie. Red raced for many years and several venues including IMS. Winchester Speedway, just a few mile east of Muncie was for many years the worlds fastest 1/4 track. I bet has circled that asphalt oval a few times. I know the Rathmans have.

25. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

same here. great story. great pics. i for one am sure glad you took the time to get to know your elderly neighbor. good for you. i'm sure you brightened his day as well.

26. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Great story Cruzr! Very nice thing you're doing. Please give Hal our regards next time you see him. Thanks for spending time with Hal and then sharing the pics and facinating stories. Much appreciated.

I remember when I was a "younger" buck I used to hustle for any extra dollar I could make. You know a 19 year old kid myself with a little one on the way. Anyway after my day job it was off to mow a few lawns or rake leaves, clean gutters what have you. Now this is when I first moved to Florida and we all know there is a large senior population here. Long story short we got by and anyone who knows me can see I did'nt miss many meals :) The real payoff though was rich and unexpected. You see very often an older gentleman is happy to share his stories with a young guy coming up through. Now a lot of people I know cut it short don't listen to what people have to say. I enjoyed the stories. Call me a slacker but I learned more from them ole' guys than I ever did in school. I had first hand accounts of how it was during the Great Depression, the day Pearl Harbor was bombed, all kinds of WWII stories, and even a few romance stories too. No the gift those men and women from the Great Generation is still paying me back today. There is much to learn if more folks would only slow down and listen.

27. Rusty

Rusty

28. heyerground

heyerground

All we take with us is our memories. You're giving Hal some good ones. You're a human being, Cruzr.

29. choptruck

choptruck

We lost my wifes grandfather last year and this made me realize I almost forgot to remember him more often. He always had a good story or just some reasuring words for me and I will always appreciate the time I had to know him.

30. pacemaker

pacemaker

You are a good man cruzr. pacemaker