Register now to get rid of these ads!

Walt Disney Hot Rod Movie Emergency TV Series questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by streetfreakmustang, Jan 21, 2008.

1. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

I remember watching a 1 hour movie put out by Walt Disney about hot rodding. I saw it about 72-73 era but I think it was made around 69-70. It had lot's of the show rod's and drag cars in it from the era. Milk Truck etc. One scene was of a guy pinstriping a car and the phone rings. When he goes to answer the phone the pinstriping start to run and it takes off and goes over the entire car.. The guy was real as was the car but the pinstriping was animated as it ran over the car.
    I think it was called "So you want a car" or something like that.
    Is this movie on tape anywhere?

Also the TV series "Emergency" had one scene where the guys were called to a rod shop because the jacks holding up a hot rod collapsed and pinned the worker underneath. There was 10-12 hot rods under construction around the shop and it was definitely a real hot rod shop-not a set. I believe the shop was 2 stories tall.The show was probably from '72-73 era. I figure the shop was possibly Brizios? Anyone have this scene on tape?

Finally, I remember seeing a movie (possibly a series sitcom pilot)around 1976 of a pair of guys who hauled a red 68-69 Olds 442 or Chevelle around the country racing the car. The guy who owned the Olds/Chevelle pickup and trailer was also red and in the begining he picked up a guy he knew who owned a motorcyle and they went off to race the car. As they went to drag strip to drag strip they encountered different problems. It was kinda like Movon On.
    Anybody know what this movie was called?

2. VespaJay

VespaJay

Don't know about the other two, but the Disney episode was "Dad, Can I Borrow The Car?". Here's the info on it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0150255/

You can find it on ebay and other places.

3. VespaJay

VespaJay

4. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Wow
    That was quick. Thanks a bunch.

Here is another Walt Disney flick entitled "Susie the little blue coupe"-made in 1952.

It was about a kid who buys a car and turns it into a hot rod.

Anyone have this one?

5. pastlane

pastlane

mooreboy likes this.
  6. Gigantor

Gigantor

I've been hunting down that kid car/taxi cartoon for a while and can't find it at all ... wish I could remmebr the title. Around that same time there was a great cartoon (Johnny Jet?) along the same theme where the dad and mom are prop bombers and being outmoded by jets. Great toon.

7. brewsir

brewsir

Man what a great way to waste my Monday morning...Thanks!

8. pastlane

pastlane

It's not wasted time, it's research.

9. gts340

gts340

Cool vids. I don't think I had ever seen the Blue car cartoon, but I remember the first movie. I think they showed it to us in school around the holidays.

10. EmilyBelle

EmilyBelle

Oh I remember loving that cartoon as a kid! I remember being all freaked out by the car theif.

11. There was a thread with the "Suzi the little blue coupe"and the taxi cab cartoons about a year ago.Maybe you can find it by doing a thread search?I too can't remember the name of the taxi cartoon,but i know it was a Tex Avery production.And again,there is a link to it somewhere around here.
    While we are on the subject,i posted an old T.V. show about Hot Rod's called The Real McCoy's a few weeks ago...here's the link to it...

http://www.guba.com/watch/2000958506

enjoy..........

12. VespaJay

VespaJay

There's a Mighty Mouse cartoon called "Hot Rods" from 1953, anyone remember it? IMDB's plot summary is:

"The boy mice of the village become hot rod fans and soon it isn't safe to walk the streets. Three cats seize up the situation and challenge the mice to a race, and then set a trap to catch them and make a meal."

As I recall it was drawn really well, with good detail on the cars. Can't find it on YouTube, though. Anyone got the DVD?

13. chopdtop

chopdtop

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccqf0u2fR6E

One of the best cartoons ever made!It's called "hot rod son/one cab's family.

Attached Files:

14. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

Those are great ! don`t let kirk see that crazy pin stripping he might get
    carried away

15. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

What a great thread! Brings back some old memories.

16. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

17. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

It's a near as your local movie rental joint.

I just rented the original Herbie the Love Bug for my son and it is one of the extra on the DVD.

18. 46highboypu

46highboypu

Of course I don't remember the date but add to your list the Lassie episode with Tommy Ivo and his roadster with others. Lassie probably saved some civilian from being fun over by hod rod hoodlums, I don't recall. Also there was an episode of Adam 12 that envolved street racers, one of the guys ended up a '53/'54 ford race car.

19. I think the "Dad, can I borrow the car" vids are missing some parts... I know that there is a part where the kid and his dad are discussing different cars to buy right before he ends up with the uncle's Caddy, the pinstripe bit has a beginning, etc.

Any idea where to get the full episode???

20. I have it on VHS.

21. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Anyone remember the Kit Car Wax commercial circa 1974-1975 with the cool looking candy blue 55 Chevy? The one where the kid goes to his dad something to the effect: It's not a heap it's a 55 Chevy.

22. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

i seem to remember a Die-Hard commercial from '74-'75 where a dad has to borrow his son's lopey cammed candy-painted early barracuda street freak to work because his own ride won't start...

23. pastlane

pastlane

That was an AMX commercial "But Dad... I made it better"

24. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

25. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

26. roddinron

roddinron

I thought you might! ;)

27. roddinron

roddinron

Yeah, it was an MGM called "Little Johnny Jet". I just googled it and found a site where you can watch some old tunes online, http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/3091-Little_Johnny_Jet.html
    , only problem is that Little Johnny is speaking French, but most of their other toons are English.

28. lewislynn

lewislynn

29. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I always like this one.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_NFqaO-96bc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_NFqaO-96bc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

30. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

It's funny, he's not a B-29 either, not being a tail dragger and only 2 engines.