Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech question- Ford FE crankshafts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyin'eye, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Does anyone know what changes Ford made to the FE cranks over the years? I have a 59 automatic trans and a 64 390, the converter and the crankshaft don't seem to be compatible. It's damn close, meaning it will physically bolt together, but it fits way too tight, with the converter studs sticking all the way through the flexplate. Looks almost like the converter isn't all the way in the pump, but it is. I'm thinking the crank may be too long. Anyone seen this before?

2. tjm73

tjm73

I think you could write a book on the differences between FE's.....

3. 1320stang

1320stang
    from Edmond, OK

I can't think of anything other than the block plate missing? I think the Y-block and FE had the same bolt pattern, but I don't know if they had different depth engagement or not. I linked this post over on the FordFE.com website, you might check over there to see if anyone answers, or they may post over here.

4. Block plate is present and accounted for.....

5. 1320stang

1320stang
    from Edmond, OK

6. Hawkrod

Hawkrod

Okay, a couple of things. First off the crank and flywheels on FE's are the same from 59-64. the first thing I would do is drop the trans and remove the block plate as you should not have one on a 59 trans. The plate is dependant on the trans not the engine and they did not start using them until 63. That being said, this will make the situation worse which indicates a bigger issue than you seem to already know. Next, I would check the convertor seating. They have two steps and it can seem to be seated and not be all of the way in. I would also ask if this trans is a 2 speed Fordomatic aluminum case trans versus a regular 59 Ford Cruisomatic. The Fordomatic takes a special flywheel made of unobtanium. Hawkrod

7. FEDER

FEDER

HAWKROD, Welcome to the HAMB!! Im gonna step in here before someone gives ya a bad time about an intro. There are quite a few FE owners on this board that would really appreciate Your expertise with them. This Guy really knows His shit about em fella's.
    Glad You showed up, hope to see more posts from Ya. FEDER

8. Hawkrod

Hawkrod

Thanks for the intro but just so you know, I am not new here. I just created a new Login using my moniker as my other ID was both long inactve and I forgot the password (and I don't have that email account anymore either!). I quit coming around when I sold my 38 Ford DeLuxe Coupe (241 Dodge Hemi, LZ trans and brakes). Hawkrod

9. drock6570

drock6570

I used to seat the converters by turning it with one hand and holding it inplace with the other and applying slight pressure. You can usually hear and see it seat on the crank. Thats 63- 64 era mind you. Zero experience 59-62.

10. drock6570

drock6570

I used to seat the converters by turning it with one hand and holding it inplace with the other and applying slight pressure. You can usually hear and see it seat on the crank. Thats 63- 64 era mind you. Zero experience 59-62. Just my 2cents

11. 1320stang

1320stang
    from Edmond, OK

flyin'eye, Hawkrod knows more about part numbers and stock parts on FE's (and other stuff) than most people I know of, he's one of the best guys I know to help you out. This isn't to say there isn't someone else on the HAMB that knows, but they haven't answered yet....

Hey Hawk, you still want this '38 221 oil filter housing I'm tripping over?

12. Thanks for the input- I should clarify- The engine is not yet in the car, I am assembling engine and trans, and installing them as a unit. I bought this thing with the engine and trans out, the original 352 was gone. The engine is a 64 390. The trans is the 3 speed cruise-o-matic. I'm positive that the converter is seated in the pump. When I remove the trans from the engine to recheck, the converter stays with the engine, the snout is an intererence fit with the crank. Could the tranny shop have given me the wrong converter? Could the machine shop have sold me an incorrect crankshaft?

13. 1320stang

1320stang
    from Edmond, OK

I know of no differences with the cranks. I know that truck manual bellhousings are shorter than car ones and the inputs on the manuals are different, but the crank face that the flywheel or flexplate bolts to is in the same location regardless of manual or automatic, throughout all FE's from everything I've read or learned.

I'm suspecting the converter now that you mention you got it from a tranny shop. I'm thinking the converter snout is too long. I have a FE converter, but it's buried until spring.

14. 1320stang

1320stang
    from Edmond, OK

Two things I thought of early this morning.

On some cars, there is (I'm told) a flexplate load spreader ring. It's a thin ring of metal that helps spread the load on thin flexplates. You might have one on the crank, and it's pushing the flexplate towards the tranny.

My other thought, a 385 series racing aluminum flywheel is cheaper than a FE racing aluminum flywheel, but you can put a 385 flywheel on a FE, the bolt pattern and ring gear and ring gear location are the same. I'm wondering if you might have a 385 series flexplate and I'm wondering if the ring gear might be in a different plane than what you need.

I had a guy email me saying the input shaft has different length splines and it may be in backwards, not allowing the converter to seat fully. Another guy on the FE forun responded that he once had a converter shop give him a 400 converter for his 390. It bolted up to the flexplate, but wouldn't allow the tranny to be bolted up to the engine. Apparently it's not in the same plane as the FE.