Register now to get rid of these ads!

info on a Duesy-powered Deuce?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theHIGHLANDER, Jan 20, 2008.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the 70s I remember seeing a 32 Ford roadster with a Duesy engine installed. Way, WAAAYYY kool. Problem is I can't find anything out about it and I seem to have lost the Kruse auction catalog that it was in in the 70s. Anybody?

2. Was it fenderless? I saw pics years ago of a Duesenberg powered 33-4 highboy style roadster, not a deuce.

3. Andy

Andy

It is restored and lives in Phoenix. I forget the names of the folks that own it. It is an awsome thing to hear run.

4. how about this one? don't know anything about it. but i bet it was fast.

[​IMG]

5. Andy P

Andy P
    from UK

I took these pics back in 2001 at the Duesenberg Museum in South Bend Indiana, seem to remember it was a '33 or '34 though....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. PackardV8

PackardV8

FWIW, the Duesenberg Model J was an advanced design and fast for its day, but not fast by today's standards. It was built on mid-1920's technology, with 5.25 compression. The 4.75" stroke and aluminum rods of questionable alloy didn't like to turn more than 4500 RPMs. The engine weighs a half-ton and produced 265 HP. As shown with the four carbs, probably still less than 300 HP from 420". It is visually stunning and makes a great retro-rod powerplant, but fast no longer.

thnx, jv.

7. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Car was built by the Ulrich brothers and was run in early SCCA races (the b/w photo is from an early SCCA magazine.)
    Bluto might be able to add more as he was friends with them.

Cris

8. Restored by the now deceased Bob Blake here in Phoenix, AZ. More properly Laveen, a suburb on the foothills of South Mountain.

Bob was a neighbor of my GF's parents. In fact Paul (GF's father) is an OG hot rodder who helped Bob recreate annother car. It sits on Pauls frontporch right now, a 27 Dodge roadster with a Cadilac V16 in it.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wow, the hamb rules. This may very well be it. I woulda swore it was a deuce and had cycle fenders. It was pictured with one of those pinninfarina over-sized caddy's. Too many replies to not be the car though. Fast or not, what an awesome ride it must be. Duesy's "lie" when you're drivin em. You think it's slow 'cuz the motor's loafin along at like 1500 RPM in top gear at around 50!

10. alsancle

alsancle

If you want to go fast you put some 200lb modern rice rocket engine in, but that's not the idea.

Anybody building a Dusenberg engine today uses the later steel blower rods, bumps the compression, and dials the cams in just right. The motor is heavy for sure but for the time puts out a sh*t load of power. The bigger issue is the tranny which is a 3 speed non-synchro with straight cut gears. Using a synchro 4 speed white truck transmission which will bolt right up is a huge improvement. Also, the superchargers are being reproduced and you'll get an extra 100hp that way (if you have an extra 85k hanging around).

11. hey Jocko, a duesy won't fit in your belair!

12. noboD

noboD

I think it was at the York US30 reunion a few years ago. I know I've seen it here on the right coast. Maybe Clark or Scary Larry have pics or info.

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you got that right. But how cool would it be all dressed up like one, huh? You know, the apple green, high polished aluminum, ceramic manifolds...OK enuf of that. I'm sittin here dilusional with the flu:(

14. packard1953

packard1953
    from Indiana

Does this car still reside in the Phoenix area? I saw it a long time ago.

Matt