Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 "austin bantam" bodies-Whats the deal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hillbilly Werewolf, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

What is the story behind the 1932 "Austin Bantam" bodies that you see for sale alongside t-bucket kits? the bodies look like they have a lot of potential, but, like t-buckets, i only have seen them as shitty '70s style dragsters with 350/350s, metal flake paint, parachutes and/or tweedy bird graphics.

Has anyone attempted to build a decent looking car with one of these?

I know glass isn't really traditional but i figure cheap roadster bodies are.

2. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

3. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

That IS nice. Don't like the front springs though... Chevy I guess?
    I have a model A fordor and a 1950 flathead but the body is going to take a LOT of work, and kinda would like something a bit more sporty.
    I don't really know yet.

4. dbradley

dbradley

They guy in those pictures must be REALLY small. A Bantam is actually smaller than a T except for width. He looks tiny in that thing.

5. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

That car is not all Bantam. If you look it is grafted to another cowl and doors. It lacks the distictive body line on the Bantam. Also the cowl area on a bantam is almost non existant. Hence the extra room.

If your going glass anyway, why not stretch it. Or mate it to a glass T cowl.

6. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

The reason they are built as "shitty '70s style dragsters", is because that was one of the most popular bodies for the "Altered Classes", and some very famous cars were built using it. People remember that.

Some were built as street rods, too, but they weren't real popular for that. Maybe it was the rarity of these imported British cars, or maybe it was because they were so small.

7. Cheapstreet duster

Cheapstreet duster
    from georgia

8. It's really time for you to come out from under your rock

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

They are not imported. They are "American Austin" and later Bantam cars. You might see if you can find a picture of J D Tones roadster. Attached a small picture of my coup

Attached Files:

10. john56h

john56h

I believe the American Austins and Bantams were not imported. They were built in the states, but the design was British.

11. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

A good friend built a street rod from one of these in the mid 70's. I built a custom radiator for it (brass) and it looked really nice.

12. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Bantam was the company that originally conceived the jeep but the contract to build them was ultimatly awarded to willys because bantam wasnt equiped to make so many jeeps and they got stuck making the trailers

13. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

14. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

I'm starting to believe they were English cars that were built here.....what do you guys think? :)

15. Flatman

Flatman

Actually, the cowl continued out under the hood for about 10" to provide leg room for the driver. The passenger had to make do with less room as the battery was mounted in the firewall. My car was one of those '70s drag cars with no leg room, I just moulded up the cowl extension from photos of original cars.
    cowl.jpg
    It's still small inside, but at least my knees don't hit the steering wheel:D.

Flatman

16. billyboy132

billyboy132

The bantam was most definately an American vehicle. It was based on the English Austin 7 frame but as a roadster or much nicer looking coupe than the Seven. It was quite clear that at this time American vehicles were much more stylish than their counterparts here in the UK. I dont think it was overly popular as a road vehicle due to it being so small however it took off massively as a suitable body for an altered dragster. I dont remember too many of the altereds having a "tweedy bird" on them however. there were of course the most well known - 'Rat Trap, 'Pure Heaven', Pure Hell, 'DiMattio brothers'. Our particular 'shitty 70s style dragster' does have a bird on the side of it along with the car's name 'Ragin' Cajun'. It does have a metalflake body but runs an alky injected 302ci ford and beefed up c4 tranny.