Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT: replacement fuel tank straps?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oktr6r, Jan 18, 2008.

1. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Where can you buy replacement fuel tank straps for newer, non-HAMB vehicles? I noticed my '85 Dodge truck had something hanging down by the driveshaft, ended up being the rear of the tank. One strap broke due to rust, I'm sure both need replaced.

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

3. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Yeah, I know, but time is a big issue with me. Headed out of town Saturday, coming back to finish my 12' x 17' storage building Sunday, working, taking care of my wife... As broke as I can be, I have more money than time right now.

4. Go to your local hardware store or lumber company and get some 1" or 1-1/4" strapping that has pre-drilled holes in it.Bends easy and is plenty strong enough.I used it in my 55 Safari about 5 years ago and have had no problems whatsoever.Cheap too.You can also get rubber stripping in rolls to use as a cushion between the straps and the tank.

5. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Not a bad idea. Got me to thinking, maybe I can use the same banding material I used to hold the tank on my "Slug Bike". Scrap banding material used to hold heavy materials on a pallet for shipping. I used weather stripping tape on the back side to protect the paint.

Looks like I can solve the problem cheap Monday at work.

6. Here's a revolutionary idea...go down to the Dodge dealer...maybe they're still available new.

Charlie

7. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer

Napa sells replacement straps, both universal and application specific.

Alex.

8. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The NAPA universal kit is the plumbing strap with a flattened eye bolt, all light duty stuff.

I used the metal banding strap for years, when I worked at a factory and couldget it easily. Gene

9. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

$250 worth of available for a truck I paid $800 for...

10. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Local Napa told me no tank straps at all, and their web site doesn't show anything.

11. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Cool, one of the guys at work just saved me some that's about 1" wide today. Not as wide as the truck had from the factory, but should do the trick. I'll trust it more than the plumbing strap.