Register now to get rid of these ads!

the revy chevy...... help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot rod lee, Jan 17, 2008.

1. hot rod lee

hot rod lee
    from uk

a friend of mine has been telling me about an engine nick named "the revy chevy" i beleave the block is a 283ci witch has enuf clearance to fit a 327ci crank into it. im not 100% on this but what he was telling me was something along them lines. any help,info or links would be helpfull.

thanks lee.

2. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

It would be the other way around. 283 crank into a 327 block, gives you a 302 or a 301 according to the old school guys

3. hot rod lee

hot rod lee
    from uk

cool! any one running one of thease motors?

4. CamaroKid

CamaroKid
    BANNED
    from Texas

They were actually "TERDS" that got thier little high winding asses handed back to them by many a Big Block Camaro or Corvette plus plenty of other early muscle car iron ! 302 cubes in a 3,200 pound car just don't cut the mustard when it's only putting out enough torque for a 2,000 pound car ! I have owned several and even some hopped up about as far as you could take them . They sounded good but a 300 HP 350 Camaro with a 4 speed also would usually get the job done . The 302 's were only available in Camaro Z28's and ALL were 4 speed cars . Anybody that tells you they have a DZ 302 car with a factory automatic is FULL OF SHIT ! GM stopped production after 1969 because they knew they had a real terd on thier hands plus the new body style Camaro for 1970 was even heavier .

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

The 302 was a great motor the racers had been running 301's for some time originally by doing a 4" bore on a 283 before chevy made their own called it the 302 for the z-28 camaro to fit in the 5 liter trans am racing circit where they instantly dominated, they were dropped in after 69 because they changed the 5 liter limit. The Z-28's were also quite successful in drag racing too because of their high winding with factory motors being able to turn 10k on occasion and in the 7k's regularly. Some factory ones have been dyno'ed at 360hp around 7200rpm

On the downside the factory ones were overbuilt for street use with a 780 cfm holley 11to1 and a really hot cam fast but not good for traffic.

My dad never lost a race with his... in the year he had it, 1969 the chassis got so tweeked the hood would not open and the hood popped open at random

6. 40chev

40chev

Not sure what engine your what engine your buddy is talking about but there was a Police engine (283) that had small counter balances on the crank and longer cylinder sleeves, these were quick reving little engines, not a gob of H.P but still ran good for what they were.....These engines would only accept the small counter balance cranks, a regular 283 crank would bolt in but the counter balances would hit the bottom of the cylinders and lock the crank.....

7. Stone

Stone

LMAO. I have seen this argument in many forums. Corvetteforums and Camaro forums. A lot of Corvette guys and Camaro guys remember it differently. I'm not saying who is right or wrong here, just stating what I have seen in type.

PLease don't flog me for posting a muscle car link. But this is on topic.
    http://www.z28camaro.com/oldrel.html

8. uhh, the 302 was built to run in trans-am racing because of trans-am's 305 cubic inch rule. they quit making them because gm pulled out of motor sports all together for a while. they did pretty well on the trans-am circuit. but in real life conditions they were lacking to say the least. history gets reinvented sometimes due to memory.

9. you sure he wasn't talking about the 71/72 chevelle "heavy chevy"? which was a chevelle malibu with ss drive train.

[​IMG]

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Exactly how OLD are you Camaro kid...??? Obviously you don't remember...

I had a built 301" in my three year old '64 Impala hardtop (283" crank, 327" block), 2.02 heads, cc'd, btw, 10:5 compression, Duntov cam, solid lifters, aluminum manifold, Carter 4-barrel, headers, 2:20 low BW 4-speed, Hurst Competiton plus shifter AND a 5:13 posi rear end. There was NOT a Camaro, or Chevelle (big blok or not) for miles around Denver that could keep up with it, beat it in a quarter mile...or just plain beat it..PERIOD.

R-

11. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

I'm pretty sure a 307 is a 283 block with a 327 crank

12. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

and they weren't worth a shit. small bore with a long stroke doesn't work that great.

13. belair

belair

Just how many pre-64 Camaros were there, anyway?

14. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

396's are Dog motors the slowest muscle car i ever rode in was an ss396 chevelle and i dont remember where the dyno sheet was but it was an X-33 and was slightly tuned

And in certain classes of drag racing they were fast as hell i remember something about being first to turn 10's in some class

Bottom line is there is no replacement for displacement, but, they are fast as f#*k for a 5 liter i'm sure a warm 427 will beat it, but a boss 302 and a lot of 350's will get their asses kicked

I might be a young but i've seen, done and been involved with. I build hot rods for a second job and i am a machinest in my first and i'v built and hot rodded my share of motors, I built my first harley when i was 13, and no daddy didn't help me.

15. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Nope, different bore I believe.

16. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

ottoman likes this.
  17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Only difference is it has a large journal crank 283's never did same a late 327 you can use a 307 to destroke a 350 to a 327 but it is cast crank in most if not all 307's

18. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

I stand corrected. It's been a few years since I messed with the old 307 I had in a '68 Chevy.

19. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i thought there were both small and large journal 327s.

20. racer32

racer32

You aren't wrong.

62-67 small journal:

[​IMG]

68+ large journal 327:

[​IMG]

21. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

The 283 and 302 Chevys are great little motors. A steel crank is common, they're oversquare and can live a long time at stupid high rpm. I used to street race the crap out of my 283, 302, 350, 400 SBC '56 Chevy. The 283 and 302 are my favorites. Losing by a fender? Ignore the redline for another 2 thou. Right, they don't do much in a heavy car, but the revs sound pretty bitchin and they'll live. Put it in a A roadster, though and kick ass all day long.

22. pipty6

pipty6
    from Tracy

I thought you were imitating Shaggy for a minute.

23. NeilageInc

NeilageInc
    BANNED

Not to high jack but can someone give the real specs about the 302 Chevy engine. If you can make a decent 300+HP engine in a 2K pound rod, I think it would be quick. Also I would like to build one. Thanks Neil

24. racer32

racer32

I've heard that the blocks are supposedly crap too...something about the low nickel content of the block made them soft and they wore out the bore too fast.

As for the big-bore 283, I'd rather have a 327 or bigger motor. The 302 was capable of good HP per cube, but there ain't no replacement for displacement! The ONLY reason the factory 302's were built was to go Trans Am racing. I drove a 68 z/28 with a factory 302...it was a DOG (wish I had it now though). Camarokid-post copy of of a time-slip from your 427 SBC car and we'll see if someone with one of the 283/301/302 mouse motors can post a quicker one.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey guys... I cleaned up this thread. Sorry you fellas that were trying to have a mature discussion got sidetracked by Camaro Kid. I have pm'ed him and you won't be having any more trouble from him at all.

Back to talking about stuff that matters...

26. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

Pop always used the same combo in all his cars, 292 c.i. with a gear box. Leave the line about 9500rpm, and run a 1/4 mile 10.00 index back to back. In the old days, it was homeground cranks, and alum. flywheels. With today technology, they will really haul ass. I remember inj. setups, and two fours, seems like it was running on a string everytime. Those were the days.....

27. so which one is better? i have heard both ways. i have one of each. one of them has a steel crank.

28. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

I like the small journal myself

29. belair

belair

Thanks, Ryan-that went from zero to stupid pretty fast. The specs on a 302 are a 4 inch bore (327) and a 3 inch(283) stroke. If I'm not mistaken, ALL 283 cranks are forged. I've seen those nasty motors pick up the front end of a 57 chevy 2 door 2 feet off the ground. Ultimately not the fastest down the quarter mile, but if there's some twisties involved, a big block will be in trouble.

30. Stone

Stone

My question is for guys who built or remember the homebuilt 301 or 302. Back in the pre 67 eras. What kind of intakes and carb setup were you guys running? 4x2 or 6x2s or something else?