Register now to get rid of these ads!

turbocharging a slant six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russchiappa, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Russchiappa

Russchiappa
    from ny

Hello,
    im going to be reading up on turbocharging, wish to turbo a slant six, and wonder if anyone has done this, potential problems, and any other info that might be helpful. Of course i would like to keep the cost down, so salvage yard parts would be on my mind.
    I am capable of most of the fabrication, but not certain what donor car or cars would be useful for this application. Thanks for any help.

2. rab71

rab71

Keep it to low boost such as 5-6 psi with factory internals. Read up on blow through carburation. Also I would runa small intercooler such as one from a thunderbird turbocoupe. Corky Bell wrote a descent book on turbocharging, I will sell it to ya' :)

I turbocharged a 1997 Hyundai Accent... WHY? Because I was told it couldn't be done. I did all the fab work myself it worked great! Fast little thing... I sold the car... Really miss it too... I know off topic...:rolleyes:

Anyway, what is this going in? This would be fun in a roadster:D

Here is a bit of info on how to set up a holley for blow through.
    http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/power-adder/157872-howto-blow-through-holley.html

More great info.. I know it's Ford but...
    http://fordsix.com/

Slant six turbocharging...
    http://www.allpar.com/fix/holler/slant-six-turbo.html

More...
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2525/sanctum.html

I love this stuff...
    http://koti.mbnet.fi/trc/

Good luck!!!

Rob

3. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

Doug Dutra was building turbo manifolds a number of years ago. Google his name and you will probably find his contact information. He was also making HyperPak manifolds to (which you can also get from Clifford).

Check out this site for some good articles.

http://slantsix.org/articles/articles.htm

4. ems customer service

ems customer service

chrysler did test a bunch slant six turbos in the early 80's, the slant six held up real good they never made it to prodcution

5. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Join the web site posted above, and see if you can contact the builder of this car. Listen at the end of the video, you'll hear a couple of pops...

6. Billy Dean

Billy Dean

Check out the late 80's early 90's turbo dodge cars. Buy a garret T3 (perfect size for your motor) from one of those cars with the manifold. cut the flange off the 4 cyl manifold and weld it to your 6 manifold. as for oil supply, you might be able to find an aftermarket oil cooler kit the ones that sandwich between the block and the oil filter and have 2 hose fittings that come out that are meant to go to the cooler itself, but nothing is stopping you from running the output hose to the turbo. and as for cooling you can rig a mini cooling system up with cheap parts bought off ebay. getting the carb right will be the tough part, wait I mean, keeping yer foot out of it when you get it running will be the hard part.
    I am currently building a twin turbo blow through 440 mopar and I use the mighty demon 850 carb. it set me back just under $600 and im about to get the block back from the machine shop so I can get it tuned. let me know how it goes

7. Russchiappa

Russchiappa
    from ny

Hello , This slant six turbo set up will be going into the 72 valiant it originally came from. Ive got other projects in the works but this little plymouth was too good a deal to pass by and too nice , even though everyone calls it grandpas car or whatever. Fact is everyone seems to have a story about a car just like it. I like the car even if it is a more door, and i just want to do something fun with it.

8. rab71

rab71

MAnifolds are easy to build. I built mine from schedule 40 weld elbows and Tee's... I just built a log style manifold and it worked great. That and back then I was still learning how to weld. :rolleyes:

9. Ruiner

Ruiner

Low boost on stock internals? HOGWASH...do a casting # check on your slanty, many came with forged internals...converting to buick v6 fuel injection is an option, but the fuel system will need to be upgraded slightly...i'm planning a computer controlled port injected turbo'd stroker slanty for bonneville, good motors...

10. damnfingers

damnfingers

I think those pops were the tires, not the engine...he just let off the gas because he was running on rims.

11. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Exactly :D

12. GTS225

GTS225

Standard Speed's right.....EVERY slant six, from 1960 to 1975 was a forged steel crank. In '76, ma Mopar changed over to a cast crank, and the rod big ends got narrower. In '80, they went to hyd. lifters.

So....your '72 motor is just fine. Assuming it's sealed up ok, (rings), I wouldn't be worried about feeding it as much as 15 psi of boost. With it's 7.8-8.4 of static conpression, you're right in the ballpark for a turbo motor, but anything over that 15#, and you're going to have to watch for detonation and take appropriate steps.

Forgot to mention.....git on over to slantsix.org and start reading/researching. There's a fair amount of info there, and a few who have done this. Make sure to read the tech articles.

Roger

13. storm king

storm king

There's a link somewhere on slantsix.org where a guy details such a project. Several of those guys do turbo set ups as a matter of course.

14. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

We did one once about 15 years ago. We used a draw-thru turbo from a 3.8 Buick. Made an adapter for the turbo outlet that bolted right to the stock 1-bbl intake. Everything stayed stock except for the rear end gears and a 3000 RPM converter. It ran hot with the stock emmissions Rochester Quadrajet, so we put on a Holley 750 with vavuum secondaries. No stumble or bog with that big carb either. Boost over 7 PSI caused detonation so the windshield washer unit was used to pump 50/50 water methynol into a jet that sprayed into the top of the carb. It was actuated by a switch when the secondaries pushrod hit it. A large hole had to be cut into the hood of the 72 Duster to clear the unit but it was worth it. I still have one of the turbo to manifold adapters if anyone would be interested. Bill

15. 37coupeute

37coupeute

http://www.moparmarket.com.au/

thats an aussie car..............Ray Webb is the main man on this site.

(the video)..............could be a "hemi' 265 ?

t

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  16. TexasDart

TexasDart

17. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

Sometime back I helped a buddy put a Buick draw-thru turbo on a 72 Duster with a 225. The stock Rochester carb was too lean and the engine ran very hot. We put a 750 Holley on it and that cured the problem. The car ran very well, but unfortunately the carb and cleaner and even part of the turbo stuck out above the hood. I still have one of the aluminum adapters I made several years ago that bolts the Buick unit right onto a stock 1-bbl iron intake if anyone is interested. I did build a more compact draw-thru system later and sold it on ebay. It used a commercial carb adapter that sat right on the 4-bbl intake. It was much lower sitting and looked much better. Now I'd go with welding injector bungs to a 4-bbl intake and going with a throttle body instead. Be sure to intercool it. Bill

18. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

I love slant sixes! This is a very good idea.

19. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Drag raced a slant six in the early 70s,brings back memories.

20. brandon

brandon

car craft or hot rod had a article back in something like 70 or 71 , showing how to do the swap....was pretty much a bolt on at that time. technology has drastically changed , so there should be more options now. :D

21. A Turbocharged Leaning Tower of Power!

Makes me wish I had a couple of my old Darts back!

22. bill dedman

bill dedman

Here are some photos of our 225...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  23. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I ran an H/G 51 Anglia back in the early 70s. If its going to be a drag car put an automatic in it or it will break the the rear crank flange right where the flywheel bolts on. It will still run fine, it just wont move. After 4 cranks I changed to a 300 ford 6. Zero problems with a slant 6 other then that, they just dont like leaving WFO with a 4 speed. Other opinions may vary, mine are based on fact, Today Id run a high stall Torque Flite

24. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

http://www.diyautotune.com/
    Megasquirt, budget efi, user friendly with a very informative forum. With careful parts shopping you can set yourself up for the cost of a blow-through carb.

25. bill dedman

bill dedman

Thanks for the advice!

Ours is a 904 with the 2.74:1 low gearset and a 3,500 rpm Hughes converter.

I've been drag racing since 1955 and have never had a race car with a manual transmission. You won't get any arguments out of me....:) LOL!

Bill

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  26. bill dedman

bill dedman

The two people involved in campaigning this car have a total age of 149 (their two ages added together.)

I'm sure you'll understand when I say, those two old codgers are not anxious to confront the learning curve that would surely accompany the construction and implementation of a Mega-Squirt system on a turbocharged slant six that is hopefully going to make around 500 horsepower, with some degree of consistency.

We have a blow-thru 750- Holley DP and will do our best to make it work.

Thanks for the advice!

Bill

27. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Great links and tech!

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

So which gets turbo'd first? Your slant six or my Falcon?

29. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

Best response ever:D Seriously though, for anyone thinking about standalone efi, if you've figured out a way to post on this forum, it's possible!

30. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

All of the above links worked fine.

This link didn't, try this one: http://www.oocities.org/motorcity/track/2525/sanctum.html