Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wives/GF's...are they supportive of your hobby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Dec 2, 2007.

1. EmilyBelle

EmilyBelle

My BF gave me new wheels for my 36 for x-mas....best x-mas gift EVER!

2. cooljerk

cooljerk

Mine's 110% supportive. She convinced me to buy my '50 crestliner because she took the "eyeball" grill center as an omen of good luck. This past summer with little prodding by me she decided she wanted a "cool car" too...so i bought her a '62 falcon. Now she wants me to buy her a pistol so she can have her own gun when we go to the range. I got it made.

3. kopis

kopis

Hell yeah, cause if she wasn't, she aint my girl. My girlfriend cant wait to find the right project to get started on. I am keeping an eye out for her as well.

4. PoPo

PoPo

my fiance is very supportive.. she has been working with her coursin about two barn finds. her cousins grandfather in law died and the family found the cars in the barn, they dont know what to do with them. So my fiance volunteered me to go get them for just the cost of gas... SWEET!! I still have no idea what they are but one is a 50's truck and the other they have no idea, but its supposedly older and no motor... oh the dreams I have for these without even knowing what they are....

Oh and we just had a baby, and she is trying to get me more projects!!!

oh and she also walked the car shows all summer between 7-9 months pregnant and rode in the 53 chevy until the week before she gave birth. and that wasnt fun not pregnant..lol

5. 55oldsrocket

55oldsrocket
    from Santa Ana

So many good wifes here . my ex wife wasnt supportive at all , i had to argue with her everytime i would go into the shop. im glad i gave her the boot!

6. customfalcon63

customfalcon63

yeah well My ex taught me everything i know about cars, but we unfortunalty are seperated, but he got me started on something i wont ever drop.

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

My wife likes old PU trucks,so she's fine with everthing so long as the cost is reasonable.She drives a pretty much stock 50 Chevy PU as a daily driver from April till November.She's real good at fidgity shit like headliners and detail work.She would rather watch a tractor stuck in the mud than go shopping.
    My ex wife didn't like the hobby,best thing she did was give me walking papers,thank you!!!

8. hlhpa

hlhpa

My wife bought me a Hobart airforce 250 plasma cutting for Christmas. I must of been really Good this year.

9. Yes,,and YES,,HRP

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

My ex-wife did not support it (see my profile) and that's a big part of the reason she's my ex!

My current wife doesn't get into it, but supports whatever I want to do with my car. That's all I need....

11. 427v8

427v8
    from Minnesota

Mine is very supportive, not rel interested, but doesn't mind my toys!

[​IMG]

12. throttle

throttle
    from sfsd

My wife likes that I work on old vehicles, she says it keeps me out of trouble. We just picked up a 64 f100 for her daily driver. and are look ing at a 50 shoebox for both of us to work on.

13. sickboy713

sickboy713
    from oildale

mine is real supportive. she is the greatest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Joe King

Joe King

She told me "you can't get anymore projects until you build another garage"

15. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

I've had some GF's that couldn't get enough of the car hobby. I had gotten enough of them, however...:eek:

16. easyrid3r

easyrid3r
    from Tacoma, WA

My girlfriend god bless her, wired my garage when I crushed my foot so I had a place to work. And she still helps out everyday since I have been working on the wagon from a wheelchair. Let me tell you that chair is my favorite tool in the garage. I think its a permenant fixture in the garage. Her too!

17. Nailhead

Nailhead

Well, for christmas she gave me a welder, so I would say " YES " !

Todd

18. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

Boy this thread's been around for years..

My girlfriend is supportive,we have lived in our tiny aprartment for about two years, we painted the bedroom dark green and haven't put a single thing one the walls since.
    until Rodders Journal sent me that double-sided poster with the Orange Krate and the Sam Barris Merc.
    Now every morning the first thing (we) see is that beautiful Mercury Photo floating in this old ornate gold frame we had & reminds me I have work to do.
    Also the dash to my 49 is in our living room along with my chopper bicycle and she doesn't want me to take them to the shop.

19. hotroddn56

hotroddn56
    from usa

Well at the begining before we were married she despised my car. You know how it goes " you spend more time with the car then me, You love your car more than me..." my response was. My car does not nag, complain that I'm going to fast or to slow, Never talks back does what she is told to do!" Never the less that did not go over well and my 56 ford sat for 5 years! then out of the blue after going to car shows and parades the question came "when are you going to fix clair? Then it was on and before you knew it I kept buying cars. I'm up to my 5th one and she pushed me to buying the last two. One was for her. So now she wants to go to the swapmeets and car shows for ideas for her 55 fairlane. Here are the before and after pics. soon I will be done once I fix this dam trany issue!!! ;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  20. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

My girl pretty much rules...
    she just loaned me the $$$ to buy me a '63 Z code 390 Galaxie.

She's cool for other reason's, too, of course!...:D

21. manacoem

manacoem

My wife Donna is the absolute Best!!! She has always supported my hobby and been there to help whenever I asked.. She taught me the Upholstery trade which we both ran for over 20 years with a lot of car interiors mixed in.. She is always available to do the heavy lifting, she never complains about the time or money spent.. Loves to go to swap meets with me.( She Carried 38 Ford Fenders damn near the full length of Hershey one year) with no complaints. After I was diagnosed with cancer , survived a year of intense Chemo, then ,even after just starting a new job , moved 200 miles away with me to undergo a Dangerous Bone Marror Transplant, while continuing to do her job by computer, and nurse me back to recovery.. I had been told that the cancer would be terminal in about 2 years and I would only make it longer if I had the transplant.. I did and have been pretty healthy for going on six years now.. During all this time I was preparing for the end by getting all my affairs in order , which included giving away most of my inventory of hotrod parts , selling a deuce project that I was in the middle of, and just preparing for the worst... After the Chemo and transplant, I didn't care if I ever got back into hotrods again.. It was Donna who converted our workshop into a beautiful EXTRA CLEAN workshop so that I could return to my love of cars. She did the drywalling and painting herself, just so I could get inthused again. It worked and for the past 2 years, I have been using my hobby as THERAPY I still have a lot of side effects to deal with, but they are minor compared to what I was facing before .. I believe that I would not have made it whithout God and my wonderful wife Donna! This year we celebrate our 40th anniversary.. Life is good Get all your priorities in order now. The only Things that are truley important is GOD, and Family, hotrods are just a hobby! Later Jerry (manacoem):)

22. narducci

narducci

My wife of 37 years is the one who talked me into this deuce project. I was about ready to build another bike, but she says " why not build another street rod?". The I can ride with you. She doesn't like bikes.
    So how's that for a go-ahead to get started. Shes always been supportive even if she isn'y interested as long as she has enough money to do what she likes.

23. BobbyV

BobbyV
    from Tulsa

Can I get an "AMEN BROTHER!!!" ???

24. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine still thinks it takes all afternoon to feed the barn cats. I guess she figures an old car (her label) just magically appears in the Spring.

25. cokeman

cokeman

After almost six years of marriage, she still can't figure out how I can spend all weekend working on cars and motorcycles and only twenty minutes with her,........twenty minutes is all the time she can spare from mowing the grass, washing cars, cleaning the house....

Really though, my wife doesn't fuss TOO much.

26. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

mine gave me so mush shit i got rid of the problem........her

27. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

My wife and I have reached a truce (stalemate?) with hot rodding. When we met in college, my cars were in storage so it wasn't really on the table yet. When we got our first house, all that pent up yearning was unleashed in a years-long frenzy of late nights, painted parts in the living room, plundered commmon funds, etc. Nine rods later, I've learned, finally, to clean up, pay attention, work less, do a remodel type job now and then, and be presentable and sober when her friends are over. My reward was a 30 Chevy 3 window for my 40th birthday.

28. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

my wife hates my car, when we met i met her through a friend who i used to cruise to events with every weekend, they made out she was into cars but i soon found she would get pissed of if i tried to maintain the car, by then we also had our first child on the way so i just let everthing go to shit on it, by time i took it of the road for a rebuild everything on the car was f%(ked, the car was barely driveable.
    the rebuild has been hell, everytime i go to get parts or do some work on it i have to put up with hours of screaming and yelling wich is kind of why it takes so long.
    she likes making out to my friends that she doesnt.
    i dont really care much allthough its a huge burden, if i keep going eventually it will be finnished, hopefully this time she wont throw stuff at it.
    she has never really had to work for money or anything, i dont think she really understands the lifestyle of customs, its not all fun holidays and cruises, there is alot of hard work behind having a cool ride to go to all the events in.
    me having done it before she came into the picture, i know the light at the end of the tunnel is bright if you put in the elbow grease, hopefully i will get the car back on the road intime to take the kids to a few events in it before she pisses off.
    overwise, atleast i will get time to finish it in peace, and then go pick up chicks in it:D

29. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

yes mine is supportive..... she likes my car even more than I do!!!!!

30. 1953blueflame

1953blueflame

My wife liked my 53 chev so much I gave it to her when i got my 34 pickup > gotta keep em happy rite .