Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Rearend is in your Shoebox?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodknocker, Jan 14, 2008.

1. rodknocker

rodknocker

I picked up a 327 for my shoebox the other day,nothing crazy, but I'm pretty sure the stock rearend won't hold up to that.What rear ends are you guys using,and what fits nice?

2. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

By shoebox, do you mean tri five Chevys or early 50's Ford? Anyway, I have a 8.5 inch 10 bolt out of a '72 Trans Am in my 56 Chevy. It has a 3.42 Posi and rebuilt drum brakes. Installing it was a simple as torching off the old brackets and welding new spring pads. Strength has never been a problem with a SBC and a Muncie and the brakes are way better. 10 bolts are cheap in the yard and easy to fix. 9 inch Fords are really the best though.

3. rodknocker

rodknocker

Ford shoebox is what I'm looking for.I guess the main thing is which one will fit.I measured about 51" backing plate to backing plate, not sure what models are around that size.

4. Shane T.

Shane T.

We put a maverick 8" in my buddy 50 convert... Worked pretty well.

5. I used a maverick 8 inch in mine too. Hint: If you lower your shubox as low as mine, the maverick spring pads line up with the shubox springs pretty well BUT! The pinion angle will be off by too many degrees. I tried to ignore the bad angle and wore out my brand,new offset rear U-joint in a 100 miles. If your car is low, cut the maverick pads off and reset the pinion angle...weld new pads on from your local trailer supply house...I think mine cost about 4 bucks apeice.

Attached Files:

6. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Heard a ford ranger rear will fit too.

7. rodknocker

rodknocker

but is the ranger rear strong enough?

8. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

I put a Lincoln Versailles disc brake 9" in mine.

9. ls6wagon

ls6wagon

my son and i put a rear end out of a 4x4 explorer after shortning the left side to match the right .
    it is the correct width and has disc brakes
    any questions give me a pm.

10. Joe Daddy

Joe Daddy

We went with the maverick. Good luck finding one at the junk yard. It took us a while. Just make sure it has or had a v8, and youll be fine in the gear dept.

11. DetroitBilt50

DetroitBilt50
    from detroit

ive had a stock s-10 in mine. runnning a healthy 302 and no problem. fits nice. using 1/4 spacers for the steel s-10 rims

12. 1oldrat

1oldrat

We are putting one in from a 63 fairlane.Would a 55-57 chev rear fit?

13. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

14. rodknocker

rodknocker

I just got a lead on a 86 monte ss rear, does anyone know if this will fit? According to the chart HotRodTrash gave me it will.Just wondering if anyone has run this before?

15. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Some where on here there is a chart that shows all kinds of rear ends. Its shows the bolt patterns, gear ratios and the widths. I'll see if I can find it.

16. scrappy

scrappy

without a sticky tire i wouldn't worry too much about breaking any one of those rearends - but the 8" is pretty weak if you are going to be racing the car and will need to be beefed up - the ford 8.8 is a kickass rearned - believe they are around 57" out of a foxbody mustang so that would have to be shortened.
    <!-- / message -->

17. chevydlvry

chevydlvry

ford granada or mercury monarch fit great. just take the spring locator hole and enlarge it 1/8 inward

18. ian

ian

late 50's ranchero 9" went in. width is right on the money.

[​IMG]

19. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

9" out of a 57 wagon. I stuck a 3:60 gear in it.

20. The Shocker

The Shocker

Dont waist you money on an 8 inch ,they are weak.If your just gunna drive it will work ,but if it ever hooks up good its a goner.I would just find a 9 inch if you can swing it.They are stronger and the parts are easier to get and with way more gear choices than an 8 inch.I had hell trying to find a crush sleeve for my 8 inch when i did the gear swap before i broke it ,the local Ford house didnt even have one.

Attached Files:

21. swilly572

swilly572

58 olds, Mark Williams 35 spline axles, Wilwood discs, 4:10's w/ a spool

Attached Files:

22. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

the factory rear will handle the horses. i read in one of the little books where a guy wrote in and asked the same question except he was putting a caddy motor in his ride. the tech guy said it would with no problem, no fast forward to today. i have the factory rear in my car and it has been through some serious motors and lived to tell about it. my 347 would spin it posi and it dynoed out at 535 hp and i threw another 300 shot of nitrous on it. i destroyed that motor (broke the block in half and the cam in 3 pieces and cracked the crank and bent a few rods) but the rear has never let me down. the 302 i have in it now is pretty stout and the rear is holding up great. now i did rebuild it completely before i put the first mile on it. and it has the overdrive gear also. i say keep it if you want to but make sure you go thru it but what ever rear you run youll have to get a shaft built for it.

23. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

8'' out of a mustang

24. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i should add that to my last post my car has had the 670-15 cokers on it and when i killed the motor i had a set of drag radials and none of those tires would hook up real hard. if you run slicks then go 9"

25. David Totten

David Totten

Also used a ford 8 inch unless you are really hooking it up the work great.

26. My sons Shoebox has a Ford 8". Been in there since about 2003 and holds up just fine.

27. rodknocker

rodknocker

Well a little update,I picked up a good 86 monte carlo ss posi rear for dirt cheap.(Just 1/4" wider than the original)My original rear I'm pretty sure needed rebuilt.I'll let you know how it works, if it works.thanks for the input guys.

28. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

The G body is that narrow? Where wheels mount is like 58"? That is more narrow that I thought it was, sounds good!

29. rodknocker

rodknocker