Register now to get rid of these ads!

283 with no numbers stamped on it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Jan 10, 2008.

1. I found what should be a 283 but on the right side of the block in front of the head where they are all stamped, this one has no numbers.

Has it been decked or something?

Last weekend it was complete from the air cleaner to oil pan & was $130. I didn't have the tools to pull it & now the distributor & exhaust manifolds have been pulled from it. It is still $130 & I'm just trying to decide if I want it.

The Power Pack heads are worth the price alone I guess. I was a lot more excited about it when it was complete though.

Any thoughts on those numbers? I'd hate to buy it & then find that it has been bored .060 over & needs more now.

JH

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Its either been decked or its a replacement block. lots of 283's will go.125 over. Thats a 301 (cometimes called a 302)

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yeah...I think any 283 will go past 060, many will go 1/8.
    Chevy engines have a broached deck surface stock...you will see machining straight lines running the length of the deck and over the number surface if block has not been decked. Smooth number pad oe circular milling lines means it has been decked.
    A parts counter block would have no numbers, I think, while a replacement motor would carry a code like CE XXX. I think a short block would also carry a code.

4. Turns out, I can buy the block & heads (& everything inside 'em) for $90.

If it's still there Saturday AM I'm going to snag it.

Thanks, JH

5. Andy

Andy

You sure it is a 283. I bought several 375 327 short blocks and ran 283 stuff on them. They did not have numbers

6. I'm not sure of anything. It's in a four door, '64 Belair. I didn't figure it was anything much more than stock.

I'm going to get it Saturday if it's still there.

Thanks, JH

7. btbowtie

btbowtie
    from KY

8. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

The 327 in my car has no numbers. It was ordered from the parts counter at the dealer in 1965.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

He's probably right that it's a 283, and had been "remanufactured";even had the decks milled in the process. What dampener is on it; is it the one with the ring rivited to the hub? Probably a 2 barrel also? Before you get it make sure you can turn it over, that it does'nt lock up, or make any noises. If it's broke, it's not worth $90.00 in scrap is it? Power pack heads can be bought for almost nothing anymore. Just my thoughts.

10. The 283 in my 57 had no numbers either....either a replacement eng by the factory back then OR it has been decked severely, but I doubt it.

Rat

11. dbradley

dbradley

I think a 'tell' is that if it has a V emblem on the fender its a 283, if the V has flags, its a 327. I know some years/models were this way and I "think" a '64 would be included. You can also tell by the casting numbers but if you're just walking around in the "yard" it could help narrow your search.

12. rodknocker

rodknocker

I just picked up a 327 and the casting numbers for the block are on the drivers side rear, just left of the distributor.

13. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Horse shit. We went over this for HOURS one night. The 283 in your 57 Chevy does NOT have a specific engine number point blank. Engines back then had the chassis number stamped on them at the rear of the engine by the bellhousing.

You're grounded for not listening to me.:cool:

14. alannator

alannator

Just maybe someone was asleep on the assembly line. I worked at a car plant for over 30 years and witnessed engines coming down the line when the stamper went down and we had to then take a hammer with the different correct stamps and stamp the code id's in manually. So it could be the case on it. Just my thought.