Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950's Texas Racing Redux (More Pics!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad S., Jan 6, 2008.

1. Brad S.

Brad S.

Man.

I got something really cool this afternoon and didn't quite know what I had until I got home.

A bunch of us got to meet Road King today during our monthly meet. Well....he handed me a roll of posters for helping him get some pictures put up here on the HAMB. I'm very thankful and still very undeserving after I've seen what they are.

[​IMG]

These posters turned out to be made up of pictures from his personal library of pics he took back in the '50's of local race tracks.

I'm going to try and get a good solid picture of each of these photos and get it posted. I took just a few from each sheet which I'll post in a few.

First...the Plymouth posted in a few earlier threads which got all these converstaions started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now just a few of these others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He told us the story behind this wadded roadster. I hope he pops in.

[​IMG]

Look familiar?

[​IMG]

2. Brad S.

Brad S.

Real quickly...

Those are pictures taken of the cars on a poster. I'll try and touch base with him here or at our next meet to scan his collection to share. These just don't do it justice.

3. skumbag

skumbag

that plymouth is bad ass...i wonder what ever happened to it?

4. cool pics keep them comin ,, thanks

5. That is great!

BloodyKnuckles

6. Big Tony

Big Tony

Very kewl...helluva a gift

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow that is some awesome photos.

8. Brad S.

Brad S.

Bump for the day crew.

9. Man, I could have talked to him for hours. I was sort of overwhelmed with all the great stuff he had, had about a million questions I would have liked to ask. He had a lot of printed info, too; he is putting together a scrapbook of sorts for his family, not just of hot rod stuff, but a lot of neat info of his family's history. Real interesting fellow to talk to.

10. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

My jaw was on the picnic table the whole time I was flipping through his photo album. And he had great notes on most of it. Awesome pics. And if I got it correct that is his Plymouth.

11. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Man his club pre-dated the Early Irons and Millwinders car clubs...what a wealth of information...hope he comes back

12. That was Buggs' Plymouth, but a photo of him sitting in it.

13. According to him, when he had his flathead-powered dragster, it was hard to find someone to run against because almost NO ONE was running a flathead in the late 50s, mostly small block Chevies, Cads, and Oldmobiles.

14. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

I think the last pic of the dragster (hemi w/ carbs) is one of the Scorpions built/driven by Bobby Langley of Everman Tx. Used to run at Caddo Mills east of Rockwall in the 50's. He was a true craftsman!
    Ron

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow... great post...

16. Andamo

Andamo

The picture of the one dragster with the front mounted blower looks like the Miller-Singer blown Lincoln car that won the nationals.

17. Road King

Road King

A friend of mine, we've lurked Hamb for years, just called and told me Blacksix was posting some of my photos. I'll be glad to get with him to get better images up. Theres a lot thats not on the posters. So far I've been overwhelmed with the reception I've been given.
    Most everyone has called the photos correct. That is Rodney Singer and Karol Millers car. Yes, thats the Skorpion, somewhere on the posters is a photo when Langley had a flathead in it.
    The story on the wadded up car was it was a dragster that a guys younger brother and friend took when brother was wandering the pits.friend pushed little brother off, lil bro fired it up, took off, throttle hung, kid panicked, rode it out through a drainage ditch and went airborne. Thought he was gone when they pulled him out , but he ended up surviving.
    Thanks for everything
    Road King

18. I really dig the photos! Thanks for sharing those with us Road King.

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

This stuff is great. Thanks, guys!

Malcolm

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

Do you have anymore pictures of "Buggs" 33 Plymouth Coupe?