Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Bob Roddick Story: Part 1

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jan 7, 2008.

1. WOW!!! Great photos! He really knew what he was doing. It's so fantastic to find new photos of the early days. Thanks to his family for digging them out and to Ryan for broadcasting them!

2. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

It is always nice to see these early hot rodding pictures. Check your stuff on the no. 197 roadster - I believe it is Mal Hooper who is best known for the streamliner he ran several years later. You probably already identified the roadster next to the So-Cal streamliner as George DuNah's flathead Cadillac powered machine. The driver in the Earl Evan's tank appears to be George Bentley. He usually drove it - he was a true hot rodder who ran some very fast roadsters. Good stuff - Don Montgomery

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Don, I thought it was Mal Hooper as well and very well could be, but as you will see in the next article, Mal was representing another car that day... I guess he could have had two at the event... In any case, I don't know that I have ever seen that car before. Looks very well constructed.

And yeah, that's DuNah's Cadillac powered car... More on that one later as well...

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

What a wonderful find! I've been looking at published photos from old lakes and Bonneville events for 50+ years, and I can count on one hand how many times I've seen a completely new stash turn up.

Many thanks!

5. THOMAS S&C

THOMAS S&C

Awesome, can't wait for the rest!

6. Noland

Noland

WOW just incredable I cant wait to see part 2

7. autobilly

autobilly

Wow what a score! I feel honoured to be a HAMBer and privy to this little known storey and photographs. Bob really was the rite man at the rite time. It's a shame for his work to become known only after his death.

8. collector

collector
    from madera,ca

would of loved to have been there to see history in the making. great photos and story. thanks Ryan, and to Bobs family for sharing with us.

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

It is just the beginning of wonderful ride.....Thank you Ryan.

10. mgbtc

mgbtc

Great pictures, cool story!

11. krowbar

krowbar
    from michigan

These pictures are the best! Those times seem more special now. You just wonder what it was like to be at the flats with those who were at the beginning of their infamous legacy. Wouldn't it be great to sit and talk with any of those guys ??? Keep up the great work digging up those old pictures, looking forward to the rest......later in a book??

12. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

comepletly amazing pictures and story.... I am really looking foreward to pt.2
    The HAMB is an amazing place!. Thankyou .

13. GaryC.

GaryC.

Thanks for the great post!

I have seen this lakester for years and years...
    but I have never seen a color picture of it.

Anyone know or remember the colors?
    I'm itchin' to do a rendering of it.

Attached Files:

• bw11.jpg
      bw11.jpg
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think you'll see those colors soon enough homie.

15. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

Those are great !

16. Ryan Cochran, hot rod "archeologist". Thanks to you and Bob's family.

17. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

WOW! What a trip back in time. Thank you Ryan, this is why I read the HAMB every day. Thanks to Gwynn and Dave for saving these photos and sharing them with us. Thanks especially to Bob Roddick. These early images preserved an important part of the history of hot rodding. Taking good photos back in the day was no easy thing. The cameras were not easy to use and you didn't drop your film off at the one-hour photo lab. We are really fortunate that Bob Roddick took his camera with him.

18. Brewton

Brewton

Man, I love this shit! Give us more!

19. crashbox

crashbox

Ryan, you do a fantastic job. Great post, this one just knocked my socks off!

20. brainfrz

brainfrz

Awesome job. Waiting for round two. Thanks to all involved for getting his memory out there for all of us to read.

Jon

21. It is always a joy to see vintage Hot Rod photos. Thanks to Dave & Gylnn also to Ryan for doing a great article. A Historic Archive seem like a better idea everyday. :D

22. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Awesome. Thanks to the Roddick family for sharing this and to Ryan for writing it up.

I can wait seven days for an update, instant gratification just isn't very satisfying anyway. ;) Gives me time to savor the details.

23. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Ryan you weren't lyin'. Incredible stuff.

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

25. slapshot

slapshot
    from Belgium

Ryan , you made my day !!!

can't get much better than this , and there is more to come .... unbelievable !!!

26. jonny o

jonny o

Thanks for all the work man. A great story, and captured well.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks to Don Montgomery, I can confirm... Car #197 is actually the same car pictured above it at Ray's shop (13c). It was owned and driven by Malcolm Hooper.

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Awesome!!

29. It's this stuff that drew me to the HAMB family. To me, this is what the site is about. Thanks Ryan and Roddick family for sharing, it keeps me comin' back. But ya know......that "SBC's... let's see 'em" ranks right up there...NOT!!! Keep 'em straight up 'ere Ryan. Yer posts and articles always brings 'er back to center. Class in my book any day.

30. steelratrod

steelratrod
    from england

brilliant just briliant the pics are excellent i liked the garage one and wanted to see a bit more detail so i played with it a bit hope no one minds but somethings are a little clearer looking forward to part two

Attached Files: