Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT: Welding carts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rab71, Jan 7, 2008.

1. rab71

rab71

Well, I was going to go to Harbour Freight and buy me a cheap ol' welding cart but then I started looking around the garage and realized, I had more than enough crap laying around.

Who else builds their own stuff like this? I would think a bunch of doit yourselfers like yourselves there'd be ton's.:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Actually I just wanted to show off my new welder...;)

2. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

This was covered a dozen times or so already, some creative ideas out there.
    we used some medical equipment cart we found in the trash behind our shop and a hand truck.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

3. Deluxe

Deluxe

Nice work, Man. You just saved yourself around eighty bucks that you can now spend on car parts!!

Deluxe

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

My cart was my first project after purchasing my millermatic 175.... we only bought the wheels, everything else was scrap...

5. tooslow54

tooslow54

looks like there might be a grocery cart missing in your area:D

6. momentumfoto

momentumfoto
    from Yes

I just gave haircut to a shopping cart that someone abandoned behind my shop the other day. Works killer!

7. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

If you shop a little it's not hard to find somebody with a low welder price and free cart thrown in. The lincoln cart is a POS though and the very first thing the welder should be used for.

8. rab71

rab71

I feel that creative ideas should be revisted every once in a while. Keeps the mind going ya' know. Just nice to see what others might be working on besides their car project.;)

9. NJVadala

NJVadala

There's a Tech post that I posted a picture of mine in...I gotta find that. It had three levels, 2 machines (a MIG and TIG), two bottles, and an accessories shelf.

10. kopis

kopis

Yep, I built my own as well. Sure it takes a little longer to make the thing, but once its done it will last alot longer!

11. ...bed frames work killer for welding carts...you can pick em up used at any Goodwill or Salvation Army. just cut up that angle iron and weld up:D

-marty

12. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Not to hi-jack (nice cart by the way) but how about some home grown torch carts?

13. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

First welding prog. find something with wheels an make a cart.

14. Black Primer

Black Primer

One thing I learned when I built my torch cart, is to think ahead when making the handles. Just because they look "right" when the cart is standing up-right, dosen't mean they will be comfortable when you tilt it back to roll it around!

15. RustBucket49

RustBucket49
    from Texas

I built a scrap metal cart as well. Used an old stabilizer bar off a '49 Chevy cut in half for the handles and half of a coil spring on each side for the front supports. Used a gate hinge w/ strap metal for the shielding gas cylinder support. Works great and looks like crap - just the way I like it..... Problem is I used all my gas making the cart and now I can't do any real welding.....

16. mcload

mcload

I can't weld worth a shit with my little 110volt wire feed unit; totally dissatisfied with it.

Patrick

17. RustBucket49

RustBucket49
    from Texas

Flux core or shielding gas? The gas makes a big difference. I can actually half-ass weld old sheet metal w/ the gas. Maybe it's just that we live in Houston.

18. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

when i bought my last welder the sales guy was sorta pushing the cart. i looked at him with my best confused look and said "isn't that supposed to be the first project of any new welder?" he laughed and knew i got it and ended his pitch.

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Mine was left next the the train station by Germans as they ran from the Ruskies.......

It just sat in the scrapyard that grew up around it. I found a piece of ''landing mat'' there too.......

Attached Files:

20. I found some old bed frame rails (angle) in the rafters of my garage, and welded up a bottle cart. Also cut up an old bicycle rack with the rubber coated hooks to wind up the hoses.

21. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My garage is in a really really bad neighborhood. The day we bought our welder, we caught a homeless guy going through the dumpster that our landlord allows us to use. We took his cart, made some changes...presto...called in our garage, " Homeless Racing " :cool:

Attached Files:

22. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

more! more! anyone else?

...need to test a new welder out with a home-built kart, too.

23. kelzweld

kelzweld

I've made a few over the years in different workshops I've worked in. Normally the four wheeled cart type for plasma cutters and smaller migs that aren't self supporting. This pik here is of my cart for an inverter tig. This style is pretty common in NZ for dragging your tig around for site work. Easy to go up and down stairs, a comfortable walking height and it keeps your welder up out of any water.

Attached Files: