Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found out my car is for real...now I don't need the motor!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Aug 28, 2004.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Probably nobody else will care about this but I thought it was pretty damned cool. Just happened a few minutes ago. I bought some wheels from guy in Ohio today and he was asking me what they were for and I told him they were for an altered wheelbase 57 Ford. He told me he had seen it before and I was a bit perplexed thinking maybe he saw it on Ebay or the HAMB but actually it was on Gasser Madness. I wasn't sure I was buying that this car had history but apparently it does. I can't imagine that there are two black altered 1957 Ford Sedans in the world. It seems I now own Gary Coe's "Gunfighter" out of Eugene Oregon. I also learned that the ALgon injected Lincoln 430 is not correct and that the car did "monstrous wheelstands" with a small 289 and four speed. So if anybody needs an injected 430 for next years HAMB drags, let me know. I just thought it was cool to know that the car has history. It's like finding out who your real Dad is... and knowing it wasn't Richard Simmons after all. I can't seem to get the pictures down to size but if you go to www.gassermadness.com and go to the table of contents, there are vintage pictures under "more pictures from Ralph Reiter". I'd think this has to be the same car. Anybody know anything else about it?

2. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

it is small i know....my wife tells me that all the time...

Attached Files:

3. QQMOON

QQMOON

4. The Catholic

The Catholic
    from Akron Ohio

[​IMG]

I'm sure you would of wanted to see it in action and in blue!!

5. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Holy MOother of God Catholic!!! Where did you find that????

6. TINGLER

TINGLER

Monsterous wheelstands with a 289....hmmmmm....There's hope for my car yet..... [​IMG]

UncleScooby...this is a very cool machine.
    Keep us updated on what you got going on with it! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

VT.

7. The Catholic

The Catholic
    from Akron Ohio

8. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

This is why I love the HAMB. You are my hero! I've been kicking myself all night because I have the wonderful dilemma of having too many cars to build and not enough money to build them all. This one was going to get the axe till I saw all of this. Still have the 3 Window 32 Dodge, the chopped 31 Model A body, the 57 Opel Rekord, the 66 Thunderbird, and lots of parts. Sold the 54 Gasser, the 53 Studebaker, the 68 Cadillac, the 53 Packard Ragtop, keeping the 59 F100, but something has to go. I think it is going to be the Opel, the Bird, and either the Model A or the 3 Window....and the injected 430 that costsway more money than a cute little 289. Too many neat cars out there and here on the HAMB. I love the current thread from Marcus showcasing all the HAMB cars.

9. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Don't want to step on anyones toes here, but the blue one looks like the rear axle is farther forward in the car then the rear axle is on the black car? Roof line looks different too, but that could be just the pictures. Could you take a picture of your's riding on the back bumper so's we could see better? [​IMG] It's a cool car either way. Gene

10. The Catholic

The Catholic
    from Akron Ohio

Glad to be of some help, tried a bunch of different searches on google. Not to much info, but enough to get started. That pic from firebird online is the one for all the detail... -The Catholic

11. Yeah, The blue one has definetly got the rear axle closer
    to the door line..

12. old beet

old beet

We raced with Gary Coe many times, with our C/A 27 T . Correct motor was a Holman-Moody 427 Ford I think. First time I saw it was in black primer with the doors wired on. Rolled it off a flatbed hay truck and proceded to beat us!! WE ran a 10.03 that day and lost! Around 1963-65...........OLDBEET

13. old beet

old beet

P S, that black C/A Ford "Ain't the Gunfighter"........OLDBEET

14. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Oldbeet, thanks man. So you are saying that this wasn't the progression of one car but that there ARE two altered 57's? I just got that the black car was the Gunfighter from the Gasser Madness site. If the black one is something else, the search is on again, because I think that is the car I have.

15. old beet

old beet

I saw "The Gunfighter" at a car show, maybe 10 years ago. Restored to the original blue (like the photo) and gold leaf. Sure its still around somewhere?.......OLDBEET

16. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I was kind of thinking that when I saw the blue car pictured last night as there is no evidence of my car ever having been blue at any point and I can't imagine going from that pretty blue back to basic black. I just can't believe there are two of these things! Got any pictures of it from your old stash? Let's see the old car you were runnin! And maybe this 430 Lincoln motor IS right for this car?

17. S1B

S1B

I dont think someone would have shortened the wheelbase of the car and then turn around shorten it somemore .....then stretch it .Most people would have most likely got another car.Wich brings me to this thought ,did this guy build two cars?Liked the car but decided he needed the wheelbase shorter so built another? Just a thought.

18. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

I think that 430 would be right for any car,
    I called Troy on that 270 motor I'm picking it up tomorrow, thanks. Troy recognised my voice I bought a 50 Plymouth wagon from him a few years back. He's a dyed in the wool Mopar man and a straight shooter.
    That 270 is going into my 52 Belevedere Wagon that has the roof of the 50 I bought from Troy. small damn world [​IMG]

is this the Packard convertible you just sold?

Attached Files:

19. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

That is pretty whacky...and very cool. The packard ragtop I sold is much rougher than that. Good body but not much else. I've sold it four times on Ebay and nobody ever paid. Now somebody paid, has left it for several months, I threatened him and he sent an 8 car carrier out to put it on the top deck for the ride back to california. Mind you this car barely runs and has no brakes so the driver, who also doesn't speak english, is sitting at the shop right now while I am in Ohio and he is in Indiana (two days late with no calls) and wondering how to load the Packard. I said "well good luck with that" and let him go. I hate Ebay. But the three window from Troy was a good score so I can't totally dog Ebay.

20. To help throw a little more insanity into this thread:
    I was attending the drags one Sunday at the Madras dragway [AKA the Madras airport] in Madras, Oregon. It was some time between '65 and '70. The Blue Max team was there and they were runing 2 cars that day. One was their "old car" which was a metallic blue 57 ford custom 3oo sedan. I honestly can't remember if the wheelbase was altered but it seems like it was.
    I do remember the car was lettered up with the huge gold Blue Max logo. Wish I'd gotten a photo.

21. purple

purple

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't want to step on anyones toes here, but the blue one looks like the rear axle is farther forward in the car then the rear axle is on the black car? Roof line looks different too, but that could be just the pictures. Could you take a picture of your's riding on the back bumper so's we could see better? [​IMG] It's a cool car either way. Gene

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple"> To prove this point, I did up a little photoshop comparison for ya. Definitely different. </font>

Attached Files:

22. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

here is the gun fighter side on shot

Attached Files:

23. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Thanks to all of you for the cool photoshop and research . I still don't know what the Hell car I have but I'm getting closer thanks to you all. I'll let you know if I find out. I'm supposed to take delivery of it this week.

24. McGrath

McGrath

[ QUOTE ]
    I was attending the drags one Sunday at the Madras dragway [AKA the Madras airport] in Madras, Oregon. It was some time between '65 and '70.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rocky, for some reason, I was under the impression that you around my age. Boy was I off..., I wasn't born until '69. If you remember Drag races in the Mid 60's I guess that makes you an Old fart... [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was attending the drags one Sunday at the Madras dragway [AKA the Madras airport] in Madras, Oregon. It was some time between '65 and '70.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rocky, for some reason, I was under the impression that you around my age. Boy was I off..., I wasn't born until '69. If you remember Drag races in the Mid 60's I guess that makes you an Old fart... [​IMG] [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

A used up old fart at that [​IMG]

26. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Awesome thread! Glad to see an old survivor is getting a second chance.

Let me know if you need to get rid of that chopped '31 to make some room. [​IMG] [​IMG]

27. colorado51

colorado51

28. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

[ QUOTE ]
    here is the gun fighter side on shot

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats totally farkin bitchin [​IMG]

29. easyrid3r

easyrid3r
    from Tacoma, WA

I know Im like 4 years behind here but.... Gary Coe had 2 cars. Actually he had quite a few but 2 very well known 57s both altered and both at different lengths. Im searching to find out why I know this but the reason I know is Im currently doing a 59 altered that Gary pretty much inspired me to do. The blue one was #2 the black one was #1. I do know the black one didnt have the 289. The blue one could have.

30. JSBriggs

JSBriggs
    from Auburn, CA

You should talk to Gary. He has always been open and enjoys talking about the various nuances of what ever he has worked on. He has built several very nice, and very cool cars over the years.

-Jeff