Register now to get rid of these ads!

FE in a 56 sedan... headers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommy, Jan 6, 2008.

1. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I'm putting a 352 in a 56 sedan. I have no exhaust manifolds. If I have to buy manifolds, I might as well step up to headers. I know Crites makes them. People have been making this swap since 1958. Are there any headers that might fit with a little tweeking? The truck headers look like they might fit. I can make my own but if something is close with only minor relocating I'd spring for them. Do you remember what you used?

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

A bump for the evening crowd.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I admittedly know nothing about FE header fitment in a '56 Ford.

What I do have to add is that Sanderson also makes FE headers to fit in the early '60s Galaxies. Just another possible option for ya.

Malcolm

4. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Guy at work has a 427 side oiler in a '56 I'll ask him what he's running for headers tomorrow if I see him.

5. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

6. Pm lucky1974, he just put a 390 in his '56 convert last summer.

7. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

We had a 390 in a '56...didn't have headers, just cast manifolds, swapped from side to side, and then directed down.
    Not the best/prettiest solution, but...it worked.
    and Crites is VERY good to deal with. Good company.

8. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Hey Tommy-

I am not saying it can't be done or hasn't been done, but getting headers in without doing fenderwell style is going to be tough. I did cast iron manifolds and had to trim 1/4 inch or so off the upper arms to get them to work. But the 390 sure is a lot of fun. :)

9. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Talked to my co-worker, he has a later Ford front stub under his and used headers for a '64 Galaxie so that won't help you. He did tell me that he put a 390 in a '55 years ago and he used factory exhaust manifolds and did pretty much the same thing as 'lucky 1974'. He said the exhaust ports are extremely close to the upper A frames in a couple spots and there was no way headers were going to fit, it was tight with manifolds but it can be done.

10. I know that the 58-59 332 & 352 cast manifolds are considerably different than the latter 390's and also have a small relief for the steering box. They bolt right on a 390. I belive that's what I used in my old Crown Vick way back when. I know it didn't have tube headers and also did nothing fancy to the manifolds. They are a 2 year only manifold and have always been hard to find. I just happen to have a pair stashed for my 57 Fairlane project that's getting a 406 someday. At this point I'm not sure what I can do to verify they would fix your problem but would be glad to make any measuerments that could help you out. I'm pretty good with a camera and a tape measuer. Also I have a 58 Ford with no motor in it and can get you width measuerment between A-Frames. I think thay are the same as 55-56 Ford's. I should have latter manifolds I can compair the early ones to. Let me know if I can lend a Hand.
    The Wizzard

11. redhumphries

redhumphries

flip your 292 motor mounts around, get exhaust manifold for 58 352, use a 66 tbird radiator , cut the upper radiator support for fit. make a simple flat tube crossmember for trans,. I had a 427 in a 56 parklane in 1970 ran its butt off and had alot of fun watching peoples faces when they looked under the hood. Made a set of headers for it later had to go with fender well design, may work better now days if you could go with rack and pinion steering. Oh yeah I forgot put 1/4 spacers under motor mount so exhaust will clear a frames. good luck makes a screaming car

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Well....:D Don't make a special trip or anything but I'd love to see what I'm looking for. It sounds like the critical measurement is how thick they are when viewed from the top.

There are plenty of mid 60s truck manifolds around. I have no qualms about trimming the control arm if they will work.

Am I right in assuming that if I find some FE exhaust manifolds with the part # beginning with a B then they would be the elusive 50s manifolds? What about Edsel manifolds?

The engine is still on the stand. I'm amassing the parts right now. Knowing what I'm looking for goes a long way in figuring out where to look.

13. Tommy, No help w/ the header/exhaust manifold issue, but the '56 is sure looking good. First time I've had the chance to see it outside in the sunlight. Keep up the good work.....Don.

14. Dug out the Manifolds and belive it or not I have 2 Pair, didn't remember that. There is no B in the part # Left one is a 6A3 5750731 Right is 5751150 . I know when changing Y Block to FE you do turn the mounts around on the Block. A 1/4" spacer may be the ticket also. I don't ever remember cutting the Core support using a different Rad. or cutting the Crossmember but you'll figguer that out as you go. I have seen several 57-59 Fords with FE and late exhaust manifolds in them. The manifold nearly makes contact with the Steering box. The relief in the 58-59 manifold is the bigest differance. You might want to set your motor in and use anything for a test fit. Then you'll know what you need different. P.M. me your E-Address and I'll send you some photo's
    The Wizzard

15. 55 f350

55 f350

HAD A 56 MAINLINE OH SO LOMG AGO THAT HAD A 390 4 SPEED IN IT . I REMEMBER USING THE STOCK MOUNTS BUT MONKEYING WITH 'EM SOMEWAY AND THE HEADERS WELL THIS OUGHTTA TELL YOU HOW LONG AGO THIS WAS ...... I BOUGHT 'EM AT JC PENNEYS IN THEIR AOUTOMOTIVE DEPARTMENT ALONG WITH THE TORQ THRUSTS . DAMN AM I THAT OLD ..............:rolleyes: