Register now to get rid of these ads!

power steering on a 50 chevy ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Casey, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

has any one found a power steering box that works good ,
    on the 49-54 Chevy's with the stock front end ?

2. Rusty

Rusty

I thought you put a Mustang II under it?

3. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I`m asking for a old ! cheap ! friend of mine ?
    that can`t use a computer ?
    and wants power steering .

4. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Fatman Fabrications has a kit that uses a rack & pinion, and possible Walton fab. Both cost money. I have used a GM 800 series box with a home brew adapter plate & modified pitman arm made by joining the old Chevy arm welded to whatever arm came on the 800 box. it wasn't the easiest thing to make, and requires a GOOD weld.

5. Casey. I'm in the the same place with my 54 GMC shop truck, running 55 cad 331 and Passenger car front suspension. I've gone thru several systems including a couple racks and am back to the stock center bell crank and links. I refuse to use the stock box. I'll let you know when I find a power box with the right throw. and arm
    Jim

6. v8minor

v8minor

Lookin for info on this also , I know I am going to have problems with parking and such now my hands ard furked up .
    My problem is being in Ireland ,not easy to get stuff ,and I am on a tight budget .
    I remember someone used audi or sabb racks ?

7. ray

ray
    from colorado

DIRTYT and i have each done the saab rack swap. his manual, mine is a power rack with the ports blocked off. rather than repeat info again, i suggest a quick search.

8. Snarl

Snarl

You might try giving Buffalo Enterprises a call (no website). If there is a good way of doing it, he probably can tell you.

Otherwise, you could keep an eye out for a 53-54 PS setup. It can be retrofitted to the 49-52 cars.

9. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

53-54 had power steering ? thank`s.

whats a GM 800 series is that a truck ? what did they come on ?

10. nexxussian

nexxussian

My understanding is the GM 800 is the box itself, I would love to know what they came in though.

Anyone here tried the Fatman rack setup for these?

11. ray

ray
    from colorado

you'll still have crappy steering, and expensive at that.

12. One of the magazines.. is it the current R&C... has a good article on different steering boxes, with photos and details...

13. Snarl

Snarl

If the front end tight, its not that bad. As far as expensive goes, I've seen the complete columns on Ebay go for under $150 before. Just make sure it comes with the bracket that mounts it to the frame. The original dual groove damper and pump aren't necessary, as they can be dealt with in other ways. If you're running a V8, you wouldn't be able to use the originals anyway. Only thing I'm not sure of is if you would have enough clearance around the PS setup for a V8 exhaust.

14. R Pope

R Pope

There is a power R&P that has the tie rod attach holes close together, so your steering geometry won't be all screwed up. I think it's a Celebrity box, not absolutely sure. I'm gonna try it on my '54 when I get some ambition.

15. R Pope

R Pope

BTW, the factory '53-'54 PS is a huge, lumpy thing with a big cylinder sticking out on top, no room beside it for a V8. Not worth searching for. Had one and chucked it.

16. nexxussian

nexxussian

My Grandmother had a '93 ish Buick Skylark that had one of those in it (rear steer). The only problem I would forsee is the rack mounts to the firewall, and the Tie Rods bolt to the front of the rack (about 1 1/2 inches apart). If you do try this, make sure you purge the rest of the system, the tiniest bit of trash will make the rack shudder as you turn. Ask me how I know.:(

17. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

I disagree, I am very pleased with my 53/54 PS set-up, I think it works just fine.

And I got a hell of a deal on one from another hamber.
    -Torr

18. R Pope

R Pope

Crappy? Corvettes used that same front end till 1962, so it can't be all bad!

19. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

[QUOTE If you're running a V8, you wouldn't be able to use the originals anyway. Only thing I'm not sure of is if you would have enough clearance around the PS setup for a V8 exhaust.[/QUOTE]
    It is a tight swap, but it is possible.

I have a 1957 283 v8 in my 53 chevy, and I run a stock 53/54 power steering set-up in the car. It is a super tight swap, but it is possible. If you "chuck" anymore of them, I will pay shipping for you to "chuck them to massachusetts."

Torr

20. RustBucket49

RustBucket49
    from Texas

Same here. I have a '49 w/ a 350 SBC and headers and the stock box fits fine. Just don't know yet if I will be able to turn the freaking thing w/ the manual '49 box!!! I can't believe there isn't a shop out there with a bolt-in power R&P rack or power box for the 49-54.....

21. nexxussian

nexxussian

I just looked in the Fatman catalog, I didn't see a rack kit for the 49-53 chev (if it's there I missed it). I did come across an ad for a guy selling a '53 Chevy power steering unit in the puget sound area though.

http://pugetsoundvintagechevrolet.org/tc/needs&leads/page9.html

Left side most of the way down.

I don't know anything about the ad. I just found it, no idea how old it is.

22. nexxussian

nexxussian

Has anyone tried the roller bearing king pin kit that SSBC sells / makes? It would stand to reason they would make the steering somewhat lighter.

23. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I bet that would help . thanks for the box info .

24. Classic chevrolet has a kit# 76-977 $95.00 you have to use a pst gear box from 73-78 chev truck 2WD www.classicparts.com page 71 from catalog. I have used the kit it works great.

25. Snarl

Snarl

I'm sure it works fine, but the 49-54 cars have the arm to the inside of the frame, not the outside like the trucks.