Register now to get rid of these ads!

429 CJ question or SCJ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slddnmatt, Jan 5, 2008.

1. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

hey fellars, if anybody has some more knowledge than what i have came across that would be great. i have a CJ engine that i picked up out at a swap meet a few years back. im trying to find what the stock HP and other specs are. ive seen stuff that says it a CJ but then ive read stuff that says its a SCJ. the heads i have found out are interceptor heads. how are they? good/ bad??? i just watched one not meet the reserve on ebay for 2300 and it was froze up! i paid less than half of that for mine and it runs, so i know i did ok. just looking for some more info on it, and i could get some #'s off of it if needed. i know theres someone on here that knows everything about these engines..:rolleyes: thanks

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From what I can recall there were both. And yes post some numbers/codes, etc. Aren't Fords stamped at the back under the pass side head? In my garage archives I have and early "Muscle Parts" reference and source book. There's gotta be something there. I'm out there again tomorrow, I'll look up what ya post.

3. 22rdstrguy

22rdstrguy

From what I learned years ago after giving a 429 CJ away , the quickest give away is if the stock intake is on it is that the 429 CJ had a Quadrajet carb (spreadbore).The 429SCJ had a Holley.

4. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

The CJ had a hydraulic cam with nonadjustable rockers, the SCJ had a mechanical with adjustables. Heads are otherwise the same, casting # D0OZ-6049-H with 2.24" intakes and 1.72" exhausts. Intake ports are ovals 2.86" x 2.12", the valve cover bolts run into 2 of the ports causing a vacuum leak if you try to run with the cover off. There are also a police car head, D2OZ, with the same ports and valves as the CJ but bigger chambers. The number is cast above the exhaust port.
    CJ/SCJ blocks were also 4 bolt caps on the center 3 main bearings.

CJ was rated 370hp at 5400, the SCJ was 375 at 5600.

5. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

The CJ had a hydralic camshaft, the SCJ was solid.

6. 55 f350

55 f350

all of the above and interceptor heads had pressed in rocker arm studs not the screw in 's the scj had . either way i do know this as i had a cj in of all things a eeeekkk late model { 70 } bird . no it wasnt the stocker it got transplanted to replace the thunderjet . anyway i digress i beleive the horsepower on cj was 370 and like 470-500 ft.lbs of torque , scj was 417 and same on torque . they will run like hell too !!!!!!!!!!:D

7. BigChief

BigChief

Just as a note......

Not all 429CJ motors came with 4 bolt main blocks. All CJ/SCJ blocks have D0VE-A or D1VE-AA casting numbers but it was a crap shoot on the 2-bolt/4-bolt config until the pan was pulled. SCJ motors tended to have 4 bolt blocks, however.

All 429 CJ/SCJ heads are identified by the D0OE-R casting number. SCJ heads are not identical to the CJ heads as they are machined for the studs and guideplates used with the SCJ adjustable rocker assemblies.

-Bigchief.

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

here are some #'s that i pulled off of the engine. it is a 4 bolt main, has CJ , 2AI9 & E3 cast into it in the intake valley, and on the passenger side under the head it says DOVE-A, the heads are D2OE-AB and the rocker studs screw in there not pressed. the guide plate #'s are D1OE6A564AA. The intake is not original has a performer on it but it does have the quadrajet, camshaft is hydraulic

thanks again for the infoo

9. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

The D2OE heads are the Police Interceptor heads, my other post was incorrect, my source book had bad info. Seems like you have a 72 police car engine, very similar to a CJ, but milder cam and lower compression. I thought the PI engines were 2 bolt mains, but there may have been leftover blocks at the factory. Most likely the engine isn't a factory combo, but was built later.

10. Keep the heads...they have some advantages over any of the other production heads, including the D0OE....for certain situations.

11. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

thats fine by me, isn t going into anything that has to be #'s matching. odd combo, going to put it in my 65 crewcab, i was going to put a power stroke in it but figured with gas prices/mileage difference this would be more fun, a little of a more traditional transplant. i just plan to put a small RV or so cam, stealth intake, and a nice carb,maybe some forged pistons, or maybe not hell it only has a few thousand on it since the last rebuild. anybody have a idea on HP / torque with what this engine is??

12. k-member

k-member

The SCJ's also had factory aluminum rocker covers with oil drippers built in to oil the tip of the rockers due to the solid lifter cam. Here's a crappy pic of some on my old model A.

Attached Files:

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

here s some pics of the valve covers that are on it. it didnt have a solid lifter cam but that could of been replaced at some time. anybody know what the max one of these blocks can be bored??

Attached Files:

14. k-member

k-member

Those be the one's! And there worth some good money at that.

15. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Man K-member that Model A must be an animal! I love it.

16. The general consensus is that you need to sonic check....but it's quite common to go .080, & some can go over that. Whether you'll want or need to is a different story. :)

The thinnest part of the cyl. walls tends to be about 1"-1 1/2" down, on the sides between cylinders, as a rule.

17. Ole don

Ole don

On Ford engines of this era, never trust the stamped numbers, always go with the casting numbers.

18. k-member

k-member

Haha, it was, then I sold it and it got BLOWN!

Attached Files: