Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Father/Son Projects out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RetroSteel, Jan 3, 2008.

1. [
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought i would share a father/son 1927 Model T project that we have been working on the last couple of years.
    A few years ago I purchased a mild 383 SBC motor that was going to go into a 1939 Willys sedan i had at the time. The Willys had a 550 HP 406 SBC that was too radical for the street. I ended up selling the Willys and purchased a 1939 Chevy Coupe that already had a mild streetable 350 SBC. I heard thru the grapevine that a street rodder had a 1927 Model T sedan for sale. I always liked Old School Hot Rods and thought it would be a good candidate to receive the stroker 383 motor. My son Neil, would build the frame & do the body work (that is his self-built slammed yellow 35 Ford with a Stroked 3/4 Race Merc Flattie backed by a S-10 5 speed you see in one of the pics. A couple of years ago he recieved Young Rodder Award at the Goodguys Puyallup Show with his truck) He is a welder/fabricator by trade. He first built a frame jig then welded up a new frame (his own design) that was z'd 12 inches in the rear and 6 inches in the front. Suicide front end with a 4 inch drop SoCal straight axle. Turbo 350 and a Ford 9 inch. 4 bar rear on the outside of the frame rails with coil overs. We then chopped the top 3 1/2 inches and channeled the body 4 inches. He reversed the firewall for motor clearance. The bottom 6 inches of the car was rusted, so he made new panels and the large rear panel was made on an English wheel. The '27 will be painted matt gloss flat black and will have some red/white 50's style pinstripping. The top will be cobra-grain white vinyl. Haneline Instruments on a '32 style machined turned insert. Genie Swan Shifter The center console top will also be machined turned. LimeWorks column & wheel. Wilwood frame mounted dual master brake and 11 inch front Wilwood dics under the mock Buick drums. Wheels are 8 and 6 inch Wheel Vintique wires and the radial tires are Diamond Back white walls all around. Double white walls on the front!
    I will keep you posted on our '27 build as we progress!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Yankeyspeed

Yankeyspeed

My 5 year old is helping with my Plymouth and the Model A RPU. He calls it the "race car"

3. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

my dad and i were working on a 67 impala but he got very ill and its just been sitting a few years. id liek to take it and continue working on it but i just dont have the time or room to keep up with all of them.

4. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

Son Wes 64 bird

Attached Files:

5. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Here's a '38 GMC grandson/grandfather project. My 16 year old grandson has made all the decisions regarding appearance; he knows what he likes. He has done 80% of the work. We got the cab for $35. It was that bad.

6. primed34

primed34

My son and I are slowly working on a '32 Ford tudor. We'll get serious about it when he gets out of college in a couple of years. I gave $10 for it in 1980, so it is a real project.

7. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

My dad and I work on everything together. He's my guide, my quality control and he doesn't accept anything but my very best work. Most of the tools were his and they are very important to the process. Only problem is he's been gone for twenty years but every time I pick up a tool he's there, my partner, my mentor. Damn, I miss that guy. He'd get a big kick out of my stuff....

8. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

My dad and I built this together. Was the greatest time ever. Took about 2 years, since neither of us knew much about cars at that point.We made a lot of mistakes, but had a blast, and the car came out great!!!

Attached Files:

9. NaKpinstriper

NaKpinstriper

I am the son and nothing I build could get done without my father. Some of them couldn't even get started with out his help. He has more knowledge, experience,tools and $$$. Like most we typicaly want to kill each other by the end of the weekend.(his taste in music is terrible)

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I know you said Father/ son projects..
    I dont have a son, My Daughter has been a great help on the 53 Chevy and now shes helping me when we can on the 28 Tudor

11. Gerg

Gerg

well if someone wants to adopt me they can help out on my 53 project :)

12. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

me and pop were workin on my 70 amx [ot i know] but got side tracked when i decided to fall in love , get married, put mister pickle in misses kitten and now have to much debt! however, my son and i will finish it up one day for his first car and make pops happy! RIP POP

13. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Me and my son[17] are working on his 59 buick. he started out doing everything. He goes to highschool and works 35+ hours a week. I am doing most of the work now because I want it done so he can enjoy it. We have it up and running good and I can kick it outside., We will then start on a 27 coupe. He wants to do all of the body work and paint it. Hopefully when he's in college he'll have more time for it. It's good times when we work on it together. He likes working on it but doesn't have time. My Dad was not a car buff at all. When I would work on my cars in highschool he would sit in the shop on a 5 gallon bucket for hours at a time . My daughter helped me until she was about 14 then she became a girl. Sad day for pops. TP

14. 1939STREETROD

1939STREETROD

....years ago, my son and i brought a 1930 model A traditional hotrod back from a junkyard in texas (1985) - we towed it with our 39 chevy on a homemade trailer - the car was a mess and had sat there since the 60's...once back in ny, we took it apart and it became our 'father and son' project...we worked on it for years doing a bit at a time in a small cellar garage - joe was not of age to drive, so i was in no hurry to finish the car in fast mode....in 1993, we were almost finished, joe was 17 and biting at the bit to drive the hotrod - he had just restored a 1974 nova and it was pretty nice, but not a hotrod...that summer, joe was killed by a drunk driver...my life stopped - the car was 'put away' for 14 years - one day, my 6 year old grandson said ' hey pop, can we work on the roadster?'...it was a chore to look at the car, let alone work on it...it took only about a week of his constant bugging me to do some work on the car - finally, we started - changed some things that had sat for way too long, lubed up the internals of the engine - yes, edward did much of the work! - he is very handy with tools for a 6 year old!...anyway, we finally were ready to start the car - yep, wouldn't you know, the center carb flooded - after rebuilding the carb, we tried again and man did it run sweet - he was thrilled and so was i - a very happy and equally sad moment for me... the car is on the road due to the inspiration of both joe and edward - joe would have been 32 tomorrow and is still sorely missed....check out the scans of my 2 buddies...johnnyB

Attached Files:

15. My son and I are building this 48 F1, same one in my avatar. We started when he was 13. He is about to be 15 now. This is a slow progressing project. :p He bought the cab and front sheetmetal for $100 with lawn mowing money. I found a beat up bed for another $100. We sold the unwanted gas tank on Ebay for $100. We initially set the body on a full-size Chevy frame, but are about to switch it over to an S10 frame. The S10 rolling frame cost another $100 :)
    We currently have $200 into this project. We also have a good-running Chevy small block ready to drop in that I donated to the project.
    Hope to have it running / driving by late summer.

Attached Files:

16. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

63 Falcon .... 289 with 351 heads. Back halfed with a 4-link....will post pics in the morning. We split the cost of the car and have been spending money and some great time together puttin' her together.
    Fitysix

17. dorksrock

dorksrock

well, its not really a father/ son project... more like projects (Plural)... My dad has been working on a 1938 Chevy 2 door sedan with a 348 and fuel injection, and I help him all the time with it... he has been working off and on for 15 years... yea, its a long time, and has had to take the back burner quite a few times... I am building a '27 T bucket, and he has helped me a lot with it, and now we are both helping each other on our rods... without him, I dont think I would have ever gotten into hot rods, and I dont think I would have gotten as far as I have on my project... now we are both trying to get our cars done, because my grandpa is getting older (80 years) and we want to show him, along with a few other relitives who are now in their 80's...

-Jordan

18. Gaters

Gaters

19. El Gordo

El Gordo

Take a look at that smile - Lets see a video game put a grin like that onto a 13 year old!
    [​IMG]

20. poorboy

poorboy

This is my dad's and I 54 project. We got it as just a shell. We did all the suspension mods. We put in the rebuilt engine and tranny. I did all the brake lines. I hate double flares! It was chopped by Killer and a bunch of other awesome HAMBers during HAMBchop 03. I like working on this car with my pops cause it helps me see him as a regular guy. A friend. I forget that he was a young guy himself once and went through a lot of the same things I am. It's still a ways to go, but Killer will be helping me out really soon.

This was when I first got it
    [​IMG]
    Various work stages
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

HAMBchop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

step notch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. skreemin

skreemin
    from Salem Or

22. StrickV8

StrickV8

dad and I started on this 47 ford about 3 years ago, but then family stuff has delayed us working on it for the last 2 years. he wants to go back original, but i have other ideas (dropped, skirted, hopped-up flatty, shaved trim). maybe this thread will motivate both of us to get started back on it. keep the posts coming. nothing better than working alongside your dad at something you both enjoy. its rewarding and satisfying. memories to last forever. i'm having a late new year's resolution.

Attached Files:

23. Tindall

Tindall

im 16 and working on my A coupe with my dad
    [​IMG]

24. albums/hh215/RetroSteel/Model%20T%20Buildup/IMG_0328.jpg[/IMG]

If this thread inspires Fathers/Sons or Daughters to finish or even start a new project that's great!:D
    Keep me posted on all the great builds out there!

albums/hh215/RetroSteel/Model%20T%20Buildup/IMG_0939.jpg[/IMG]

25. NJVadala

NJVadala

My dad and I are working on a 53 chevy and having a lot of fun doing it!

26. 1Bad67

1Bad67

My son getting his first experience with packing wheel bearings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here he's checking out 'his' GTO ;)
    [​IMG]

27. Here are some pictures of the '27 T sedan buildup. :D

Attached Files:

28. skreemin

skreemin
    from Salem Or

Damn this brings back memories. I remember my dad teaching me how to do that when I was a little kid. All I remember is him cracking up at how much grease I had smeared up my arm and down the front of my Toughskins.

29. swilly572

swilly572

Here is a gasser that my dad and I are building. 572 Chevy, Tremec TKO-600, Olds rear w/ 4:10's. We have wanted to build this car for 20+ years, won't be long now. Hope to be on the road in the spring!

Attached Files:

30. jessejames88

jessejames88
    from upstate ny

dad says he'll do my bodywork for me but we'll see about that, i think its staying primer... he says he doesnt like coming to my house cause it makes him want to work on his 55 chevy... i say good i'll come over there!