Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why only 1964???

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by bcharlton, Dec 31, 2007.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

Traditionally, the cut off was at 1948-49
    They stopped making Old cars in 1948 and began making MODERN cars with overhead valves, automatics, independent suspension and Air Conditioning

2. i will admit that i own a 68 chevy muscle car that im proud to own but i would never try and post anything about it to this forum and then defend it to the death , there are a shitload of muscle car forums for that .. so as far as the cut off date for this site well im good with it as it is part of the guide lines in which we all or most of us follow..you have all made some excellent post to this thread and im in total agreement as i didnt become a member here to discuss muscle cars .. its a traditional site for traditional hot rods

3. Ranchero

Ranchero

I can see the point of the cut-off.

That said, it's too bad there isn't a 64-72 HAMB or something like it. I've seen Los Boulevardos but this is dedicated more to low riders than hot rods. If there are other clubs I'd like to here about them.

There are plenty of cool 60's cars that aren't musclecars and fit in with the HAMB spirit -Riviera, Grand Prix, Imperial, etc. Like I said, I'd like to hear about a club for cars like these that are modified rather than restored.

4. Ding ding ding! Winner!

5. I thought the cut-off was pre-1903...Which would be your Duryeas, your Wintons and pre-curved dash Oldsmobiles!

6. i see this from all sides really i understand better now. i have one of those oddball dosent fit in cars, 65 lemas 4 door. its what i could afford at the time and i have made it my own. yea maily paint and stuff for now, since i dont know anyone yet who can chop and bag it for me, i love my car and it makes me smile eveytime i see it. i may never be able to show it, but thats not really why i bought it. i bought it cause i saw what i can do to it and i had never seen one before. i want to thank everyone for their opinions and education lessons on this topic. this is why i love the hamb.

7. KomptonKid

KomptonKid

and without fenders. Correct. If this forum was running 25-30 years ago, no way would '50's be included. Only customs were in that mix, and for a while they became passe'. Its ironic that street rodders are now the main keepers of the pre-'49 cut off. Ironic because on many of their cars, most of what is in my refrigerator is older than anything on their rides. Sure beats driving a Honda, tho.

8. LOWLIDX50

LOWLIDX50

In the custom side of things ...I was told years ago at a custom show 64 and older on fords anyway was they still had flat side windows [good for chops]65 fords had curved side winders...who knows...not me...Lowlidx50

9. Amen to that. You had to be there to know how it was. Youngsters might appreciate it but it ain't the same. Some say Buddy Holly's death was the day the music died? WRONG! It was the day the Beat-Os were on Ed Sullivan and killed "traditional" american rock'n roll. Hearing Cronkite live over the school loudspeaker telling us JFK had been shot, Maynard G. Krebs before he was Gilligan, and wondering what were Simcas?, were signs of the times. I agree with the '64 cutoff for cars/trucks here. Culture changed then, just like IMO that the 60s really ended in '72 . . . things was just 'different' afterwards.